• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbells or Dumbells?

adversity04

Reaction score
If you're a smaller guy dumbbells should work fine, but I can't see a guy the size of drizz using 50lb dumbbells to do deadlifts, haha. Take how much you're lifting into account.

smw356

Reaction score
you cant really effectively do deads with dumbells of any weight unless you mix it up and do 1-leg deads, your grip on dumbells will give out far before your posterior chain does.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
you cant really effectively do deads with dumbells of any weight unless you mix it up and do 1-leg deads, your grip on dumbells will give out far before your posterior chain does.

strap 'em

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356

Why would your grip give out on a DB anymore than a BB?

Use a hook grip or chalk. Work your grip.

lefty

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Why would your grip give out on a DB anymore than a BB?

Use a hook grip or chalk. Work your grip.

lefty

hook gripping a DB is still a lot weaker than mixed gripping a BB because you don't have anything other than your grip strength itself resisting the handle's tendency to want to roll out of your hand. Not to mention you're lacking lateral stability that is provided by the bar. I guess the point is pretty moot though unless you're working weight with deads is significantly high.

yodawg

Reaction score
necroposting this one...

do i need the bench? or the rack? it's double the cost of the dumbells alone.

bowflex+bench+and+stand+with+dumbbells.jpg

or just the dumbells. they don't sell them with a rack though.

dumbbellsfin.jpg

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
necroposting this one...

do i need the bench? or the rack? it's double the cost of the dumbells alone.

You definitely, definitely don't need those racks, and you don't really need the bench either, depeding on what you want to do with them.

yodawg

Reaction score
yeah you're right! was looking at this post just as an example and thought i might need a bench for that but i guess not. Shoulders: db military presses Lats: Dumbell Rows Chest: Dumbell bench presses Biceps: Curls Triceps: overhead presses with single db Abs: crunches Quads: Dumbell lunges Hams: Dumbell deadlifts Cafs: Calf raises holding dumbells. i'm looking a kb's too but they're out of stock here locally and don't really know how to train that way yet. interesting though to try new things.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
yeah you're right!

was looking at this post just as an example and thought i might need a bench for that but i guess not.

Shoulders: db military presses
Lats: Dumbell Rows
Chest: Dumbell bench presses
Biceps: Curls
Triceps: overhead presses with single db
Abs: crunches
Quads: Dumbell lunges
Hams: Dumbell deadlifts
Cafs: Calf raises holding dumbells.

i'm looking a kb's too but they're out of stock here locally and don't really know how to train that way yet. interesting though to try new things.

If you dont want to buy a bench, you can do floor press instead of bench press.

christinedaae

Reaction score
if you are trying to look sweet in the gym = barbell

if you want to get the best workout and really isolate each petorial muscle and get a fuller chest =dumbell

my chest blew up when i started doing more dumbbell exercises and stopped worrying how much i benched i sstill use the bench but the majoity of my chest stuff is now dumbell

Cognacad

Reaction score
Yeah but that might just be because you were used to barbells. I'm sure if you find someone who was doing dumbells all the time and did full range of motion and then hooked him up with a barbell and heavy weights and still did full motion, he would be hurting like a ***** and seeings gains. Trick is to keep the body guessing and stupid.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
**** that, just powerclean the barbell into position lol

Yeah pretty much. You wont be able to do crazy weights with it, but you can do more reps and sets. Finish off with some olympic presses! haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads