• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbells or Dumbells?

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries
javyn, those look good but does the squareness of the powerblocks take getting used to in any way. I'm sure the weight disrtibution etc is the same as conventional dumbells, but are there any differences in lifting perceived or otherwise?

I don't notice the squareness at all when I'm lifting.

On the plus side, they don't roll away when they're on the floor. I also use them as push up bars.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No difference to me at all Aries.

If you decide on the Powerblocks though, I'd really recommend getting a set that allows you to put the 1.25 lb cylinders in the handles, that way you don't have to increase weight in 5 lb increments.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just looked those up, pretty cool... They also make a set that goes in 3lb increments up to 24 each. Kind of tempted to get a set to replace my 15lb fixed and old chrome weider plate sets.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Powerblocks

2.jpg

Originally Posted by javyn
+1, I love mine. True they are much more expensive than regular dumbells, but well worth it if saving space is a priority.

Awesome recommendations. I just ordered a pair that go up to 90 lbs and a stand. It seems like they would not only save space, but time as well since it will take much less time to switch between weights.

Aries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
No difference to me at all Aries.

If you decide on the Powerblocks though, I'd really recommend getting a set that allows you to put the 1.25 lb cylinders in the handles, that way you don't have to increase weight in 5 lb increments.

Thanks for the tip Javyn, the space saving, weight capacity, and incremental ability makes these sound like must have equipment. Think I;ll definitely be picking some up soon.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Powerblocks do seem like they're not a bad alternative. One thing I would note though, is that $350 a set is a years membership at a decent gym...

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bowflex SelectTechs are also a viable option, though I've read that people prefer PBs - this was approximately 2-3 years ago though.. perhaps they've improved.

Coulomb

Reaction score
i know this a little out of scope of the question but personally i would avoid buying dumbells or any weights for that matter.

unless the gym is completely inaccessible, i would get a membership first. from my experience, lifting at home yields very poor results because it is very difficult to remain motivated and disciplined. usually home fitness centers just collect dust and waste space.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coulomb
i know this a little out of scope of the question but personally i would avoid buying dumbells or any weights for that matter.

unless the gym is completely inaccessible, i would get a membership first. from my experience, lifting at home yields very poor results because it is very difficult to remain motivated and disciplined. usually home fitness centers just collect dust and waste space.

Personally, I made greater gains working out at home than at the gym. I operate on a very tight schedule and I can do my workout at home in the time I spend driving to the gym, getting changed in the locker room, waiting around for equipment, and driving home.

The key is to keep it simple.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it just depends, but I would tend to agree with Coloumb.

I have a pretty nice home gym. I have a room near my pool that has an olympic bench and cage, with 600 lb of plates, as well as 8 diff pairs of dumbbells. I end up lifting at home probably once a week, because I find it easier to do my workouts at the gym, because I like having a spotter.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think it just depends, but I would tend to agree with Coloumb.

I have a pretty nice home gym. I have a room near my pool that has an olympic bench and cage, with 600 lb of plates, as well as 8 diff pairs of dumbbells. I end up lifting at home probably once a week, because I find it easier to do my workouts at the gym, because I like having a spotter.

Yeah, I just use my power rack as a spotter.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly go with the dumbbells. I've never had experience with the Powerblocks but they look really neat. I've managed to roll a 30-pound dumbbell onto my toe a few times. The disadvantages of living in a cramped space.

IMO I would much prefer the whole home gym setup, that way you have everything at home. If that doesn't work at least a gym membership would be enough. It seems better to tone your entire body rather than concentrate on one specific muscle.

JB

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I'd certainly go with the dumbbells. I've never had experience with the Powerblocks but they look really neat. I've managed to roll a 30-pound dumbbell onto my toe a few times. The disadvantages of living in a cramped space.

IMO I would much prefer the whole home gym setup, that way you have everything at home. If that doesn't work at least a gym membership would be enough. It seems better to tone your entire body rather than concentrate on one specific muscle.

JB

I'm not sure what you mean by "tone" your body, but I'm pretty sure I can hit all of the major muscle groups with a pair of dumbells:

Shoulders: db military presses
Lats: Dumbell Rows
Chest: Dumbell bench presses
Biceps: Curls
Triceps: overhead presses with single db
Abs: crunches
Quads: Dumbell lunges
Hams: Dumbell deadlifts
Cafs: Calf raises holding dumbells.

Coulomb

Reaction score
To answer the OP's original question, I would no doubt choose dumbbells over barbells. Dumbbells is the most versatile piece of equipment in the realm of weightlifting. With an adjustable bench, you can do a wide assortment of exercises with exclusively dumbbells.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer dumbbells. No need for a spotter and no ability to cheat by overusing your dominant side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads