• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

While I don't have EG Shannons, I do have a pair of Vass boots with a few less holes that are all eyelets. It can be a bit annoying getting them on and off primarily because the laces often come out of the holes and then it takes time to put them back in. It's doable, but it just takes more time. My suggestion would be to compromise and get only 2 eyelets at the very top which would get noticed much less than the 4 which I imagine is what you're going after.

Thank you, Slew.

Regarding those Vass boots, do you mean the ones you're selling here? If I'm not mistaken, those are almost all speed hooks, correct? I was inquiring about the difficulty in getting into a balmoral boot without any speed hooks. I prefer the look of all blind eyelets on a balmoral boot, but I worry about the practicality of getting them on and off.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you, Slew.
Regarding those Vass boots, do you mean the ones you're selling here? If I'm not mistaken, those are almost all speed hooks, correct?
I was inquiring about the difficulty in getting into a balmoral boot without any speed hooks. I prefer the look of all blind eyelets on a balmoral boot, but I worry about the practicality of getting them on and off.

one factor might be the length of the laces. speed hooks or all eyelets have nothing to do getting into a boot, imo. also the shannon has a pulling strap - a very unelegant one, imo.

i don't have bal boots but derby style boots. a high one witht speed hooks and two half boots with all eyelets. never had a problem.

funny and entertaining read, though.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

one factor might be the length of the laces. speed hooks or all eyelets have nothing to do getting into a boot, imo. also the shannon has a pulling strap - a very unelegant one, imo.
i don't have bal boots but derby style boots. a high one witht speed hooks and two half boots with all eyelets. never had a problem.
funny and entertaining read, though.

I hadn't really noticed the pull up strap until you mentioned it. I think you're right though. The boot would look better without them.

I don't think I've ever used the pull up straps on my other lace up boots. But maybe that's because they opened laces and speed hooks?

I'll ask EG if they can make a pair without the pull up straps. I assume it's possible.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hadn't really noticed the pull up strap until you mentioned it. I think you're right though. The boot would look better without them.
I don't think I've ever used the pull up straps on my other lace up boots. But maybe that's because they opened laces and speed hooks?
I'll ask EG if they can make a pair without the pull up straps. I assume it's possible.

me too.

i'm not intended to sabotage your shannon plans, but if slews boots, i know it's a derby, are your size. you should have a look. it's a timeless piece.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ That's awesome. Guy looks like a boss. Lady on the other hand appears to be having second thoughts.

I have a similar looking balmoral by GMP and I've always wanted to wear it with my tux. I think now I will

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ That's awesome. Guy looks like a boss. Lady on the other hand appears to be having second thoughts.
I have a similar looking balmoral by GMP and I've always wanted to wear it with my tux. I think now I will

I think we need to bring back the practice of not smiling in photos.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on pant length/cuff with a balmoral boot? I prefer to wear boots over shoes in part because I like look the look the covered exposed ankle. I also like how balmoral boots like with a normal hem. Imo, a cuffs look better with balmorals shoes than balmoral boots

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What are your thoughts on pant length/cuff with a balmoral boot? I prefer to wear boots over shoes in part because I like look the look the covered exposed ankle. I also like how balmoral boots like with a normal hem. Imo, a cuffs look better with balmorals shoes than balmoral boots

I generally ask for my trousers to be tailored with a cuff and a minimal break when I'm wearing a pair of derbies or oxfords. I'm unfortunately not baller enough to have a "boot only" trousers wardrobe.

I see no problem with wearing cuffs and boots, however. After all, they were originally put on country clothes in order to keep hems out of the mud. Presumably this meant they were also worn with country boots.

On the other hand, I suppose one could argue that balmoral boots are city boots. Still, given that we wear cuffs with other balmorals, I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ten second complaint -

I cannot stand the pull straps on the back of boots. Hate, hate hate. My pants get stuck on them all the time and I feel doofy. Need them, certainly, but do not want.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ten second complaint -
I cannot stand the pull straps on the back of boots. Hate, hate hate. My pants get stuck on them all the time and I feel doofy. Need them, certainly, but do not want.

they just need to be integrated. look at david's vass boots. the strap is placed lower than the usual. imagine, they are sewn up to the top. don't have a pic of mine handy. try to get one...

no worries, there's a existing solution for most shoe things.

claes500

Reaction score

they just need to be integrated. look at david's vass boots. the strap is placed lower than the usual. imagine, they are sewn up to the top. don't have a pic of mine handy. try to get one...
no worries, there's a existing solution for most shoe things.

The canterburys has the straps lower as well, looks better but the Burhmans are even better in this regard as the pull tabs are inside instead

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads