• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great, couldn't see anything on the website - is there any time frames on when he'll be starting production/sales?

I think that P.Bateman was hoping to have them on sale around now (ie spring in the northern hemisphere) but that he's now hoping to have a web-store up and running in a couple of months' time.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just quietly, anyone in the market for a Marinella tie?Bought from Malford as a slight second, I can see no flaws at all other than a cut tag.

Construction is 3-fold lightly lined. 9cm wide.

Only reason I'm getting rid of it is that I ordered 4 in various shades of blue and I just don't need that many blue ties!

It cost me about $80, yours for $65 shipped (ie, at cost less what it will cost me to return to. Only thing is, I need to send it back today if no takers, so let me know ASAP!

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving on; need some advice on cheaper clothes. I plan on putting on a bit of size, but in the meantime I really need some long sleeve polo's as well as some Khaki's. Best place for cheaper, but well fitting ones? Preferably with cuff's an a decent rise on the trousers, and a slim fit on the polos. Also pop overs?

Bulkin Brah? Eshayz!

It is hard to know what is 'cheaper' when referencing Ze Foxhound. BUT, Patrick Johnson long sleeve polos look good. If you buy one, they might through in a MTM singlet to show ultimate gainz.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foxy, I'm not so sure on high-rise chinos. I like my Land's End chino pants and they are cheap and durable, but they're not particularly high-rise. My Charles Tyrwhitt cotton trousers have a bit of a higher rise and they make a variety of cuts, so you might want to have a look there.

With regard to decent, long-sleeved polo shirts, Kent Wang sells long-sleeve polo shirts that have shirt collars, MoP buttons and button cuffs. Unfortunately, the measurements look too skinny for me, but they might suit you:

http://www.kentwang.com/polos

There's also a brand started by an SF member, P.Bateman, that is planning on making both long- and short-sleeved polo shirts with a one-piece "shirt" collar and button cuffs on the long-sleeved version. They look great, but they're not in production as yet:

http://www.gestaltclothing.com/

https://instagram.com/gestaltclothing/

Edited to add: I just discovered that you can get Land's End chinos with a long rise, but that you can only get the long rise option in their "traditional" cut, not their "tailored" (slimmer) cut.

I ordered a long sleeve polo/popover hybrid from Luxire recently (really it's a popover made out of pique since it has a BD collar and pocket, but with a split polo style straight hem). It looks excellent, if I do say so myself, and the construction is top notch as usual. Why go anywhere else?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just quietly, anyone in the market for a Marinella tie?Bought from Malford as a slight second, I can see no flaws at all other than a cut tag.

Construction is 3-fold lightly lined. 9cm wide.

Only reason I'm getting rid of it is that I ordered 4 in various shades of blue and I just don't need that many blue ties!

It cost me about $80, yours for $65 shipped (ie, at cost less what it will cost me to return to. Only thing is, I need to send it back today if no takers, so let me know ASAP!

I can heartily second (small pun) the quality of the Marinella seconds ties from Malford of London.

The False Prophet and I had lunch the other day and he was wearing one of his recent acquisitions and it looked great. I'd pick up this one but I've got about ten Marinellas from Malford already.

jas0nt

Reaction score

Is there a decent tailor in Canberra capable of some tricky alterations or is a trip to Sydney recommended?

Kim's in Gungahlin is my go to guy and I give him constant business. He's been rock solid and gives great prices - much better than Alterations Now et al (taking in a jacket might cost $25 as opposed to $80 charged at other alterations). Also he does things the proper way - e.g. deconstructing a Barbour quilted jacket to slim it down from the back seam, as opposed to Alterations Now who wanted to cut corners and butcher it from the sides. He'll tell you if he can't do something.

Be aware that he gives very ambitious time-frames ("next weekend" = two weekends after next) so factor that in if you need something soon.

Last edited:

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Moving on; need some advice on cheaper clothes. I plan on putting on a bit of size, but in the meantime I really need some long sleeve polo's as well as some Khaki's. Best place for cheaper, but well fitting ones? Preferably with cuff's an a decent rise on the trousers, and a slim fit on the polos. Also pop overs?

How do you plan of putting on a bit of size?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you plan of putting on a bit of size?

Heavily investing in crispy pork belly would be my plan.

Perhaps we can trade clothes. I am in the process of downsizing: trying to get under 70Kg for now.:rotflmao:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kim's in Gungahlin is my go to guy and I give him constant business. He's been rock solid and gives great prices - much better than Alterations Now et al (taking in a jacket might cost $25 as opposed to $80 charged at other alterations). Also he does things the proper way - e.g. deconstructing a Barbour quilted jacket to slim it down from the back seam, as opposed to Alterations Now who wanted to cut corners and butcher it from the sides. He'll tell you if he can't do something.

Be aware that he gives very ambitious time-frames ("next weekend" = two weekends after next) so factor that in if you need something soon.

good to hear he's still going and it sounds like not much has changed with respect to the timing either. I only ever had him do standard stuff but I was a happy customer for quite some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads