• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, I think you are right. I've bought a few over the past 1.5 years, sold a few that I wasn't happy with, I now have 3. One I am 100% happy with in regards to fit/cut, another I'm pretty damn happy with, and finally, one I really like, but is ever so slightly off...

However, I live in Brisbane so Suit Shop isn't an option :(

I thought about Cloak Room but have heard mixed reviews and I don't really like their aesthetic, from what I've seen.

DeerStyle seems a bit out of my price range...well, what I'd like to spend.

edit: grammar

Luke, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Rene was just telling me yesterday that he's got some new books of jacketing fabric in, too. You should e-mail him to have a chat about pricing and options - as I say, you may well be surprised and Rene is very good at trying to arranging things and giving people options so that you can get what you want at a reasonable price.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
TBM - any chance that wedding was a majority indian/lankan wedding?

Any chance the photographers were of an Indian/Lankan background?

Probably small world but we could be thinking of the same event.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno bro, this wedding was in Sydney.

There are also 1 billion plus Indians, in India alone.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apart from one casual item for $70 the other day, I have bought no clothes at all for two months.

Can I keep up this admirable restraint? I hope so.

congratulations. I need solid 2 months zero purchase.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back a few weeks ago, I was asking opinions on wallet chains. Well, I ended up making one, after weeks of youtube tutorials, reading etc. I was going to have one made by a leather manufacturer who is quite good with hardware, but ended up making my own. It wasn't what I originally intended to end up with...It has been mistaken for women's jewellery by friends. I meant for it only to be worn casually.

It's not gonna be to everyone's tastes..if any.

edit: complete with dad jeans and beaten up supergas.

That looks dope bro.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flying down to Melb during the Easter break, staying at Rendezvous Grand Hotel on Flinders st, only the 2nd time in Melbourne in my life....

Any recommendations for breakie, lunch and dinner? preferably within walking distance in the conservative business dress.

How long is a piece of string...

Really though, you can't go too wrong with urbanspoon>Melbourne conservative business dress. Most of the places you'll be recommended on here will match their listings.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flying down to Melb during the Easter break, staying at Rendezvous Grand Hotel on Flinders st, only the 2nd time in Melbourne in my life....

Any recommendations for breakie, lunch and dinner? preferably within walking distance in the conservative business dress.

Wurger - you should consider joining the Melbournian SW ambassadors' PM list of cafe and restaurant recommendations.

I would recommend many, many, many places, but some of the odder, more sentimental (for me)
- Dolan Ugyur: Northwest China - a mixture of Chinese and Turkish
- Dainty Sichuan: Very rare real Sichuan (so I've been told) - stupidly hot
- Maha Grill
- Wonderbao (a must, really)
- The baguette place on degraves st
- DUMPLINGS ARE A MELBOURNE MUST - I RECOMMEND SHANGHAI ST DUMPLINGS
- +39 Pizzeria
- Cumulus Inc for breakfast
- etc

Also: Oli appears to want to dress like a depressed British banker - I like this phrase more than Italian Industrialist.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lonermatt, where is that Uyghur joint of which thou speakest?

I picked up a taste for Xinjiang/Uyghur food in Shanghai and wouldn't mind a hit of it in Melb'n.

Speaking of regional cuisines, I have three recco's for joints in Sydney, having just spent a week there:

1. The Prophet (Lebanese) - an old favourite, probably everyone knows about it, but it still rocks.
2. Out of Italy (pizza) - near the corner of Ward St and Bayswater Rd in the Cross. Incredibly good thin-crust Romana-style pizza. Please make a point of complaining loudly about their habit of taking Pieroni off tap in mid March when the weather is allegedly "too cold" (i.e. just slightly backed-off from Sydney's six-week run of appalling, stifling humidity).
3. "Spicy & Chilli Restaurant" - 653 George St. Authentic Hunan food, very difficult to find in Australia (various establishments with "Mao" in their name are all bogus). The somewhat lame English name is a perfunctory touch, as no Westerners are anywhere to be seen, and all the locals would know it as 湘聚缘. Definitely only for advanced chilli eaters.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's behind the State Library.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, on the fragrances stuff - anyone have a recommendation for a citrus (preferably lemony) cologne? Or is it too close to disinfectant smells for most people to bother with?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats to tchoy for winning last Friday's challenge.

Not a regular on this thread, but an Australian Member nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads