1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

What the difference between the Aero press and the Fairfax press? Also - Hawkeye was a professor??

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

That second bloke is good friend of mine and others in this thread, and is one of the best dressed men I know.

Why would Brisbane Times report on blogs outside of Australia?

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Fairfax is slightly less bitter.

Hawkeye. lol.

4. Prince of Paisley

I have friends at Fairfax - can confirm that this is not true.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Agreed - the men's annex of Isetan Shinjuku is a fantastic place.

If you've got limited time in Tokyo, then Shinjuku and Ginza/Marunouchi are the two main places to go with regard to menswear. They're great places to simply walk around and observe from the street, and there are plenty of great stores, too. Takashimaya in Shinjuku is also good, but it's over on the other side of Shinjuku station from Isetan men's annex.

Isetan men's annex really stands out from other places because rather than just two or three floors, it's an entire building devoted to menswear, from shoes in the basement (ranging from $200 to $2000 or more in price), to accessories and shirts, up to suits, jackets and other clothing from a multitude of labels on the upper floors. If you've always wanted to vicariously see what a Kiton vicuna jacket feels like or what a pair of Lattanzis or Lobbs are like, then this is the place.

The Ginza/Marunouchi area has plenty of great stores, including Beams, United Arrows, World Footwear Gallery, Trading Post (another shoe store) and much, much, much, much more.

If you're into streetwear, then head to Shibuya and Harajuku/Aoyama for a look.

6. The Ernesto

So do I, was trying to be kind!

1 person likes this.
  7. Journeyman

Was that comment tongue-in-cheek, Foxie?

Perhaps the opinion piece might have mentioned blogs outside Australia because fashion is global, because we take fashion cues from the way that people dress in many other countries, and because this thing called the internet enables us to easily read things written by people living in countries outside Australia?

When you're thinking about items of clothing that you'd like to purchase, I'd hazard a guess that you don't just restrict yourself to what people are wearing in Australia.

Anyway, the column is not only published in the Brisbane Times - it's part of Fairfax's "Executive Style" section which is replicated across all of their newspaper websites - The Age, SMH and so on.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Shirtmaking in Singapore is still a very average scene, IMHO. Haven't found a place I'm happy to keep returning to.

Dylan (from Dylan and Son) has a good eye, but it's more than just an eye you're after. I hear Anson Tailor for shirts is probably your best bet - it's on my 'to-try' list.

Gerald and Diana (from Vanda) are making shirts now and Sam from Cutler speaks with deference about the quality of Vanda's craftsmanship and handiwork. I'm going back for my second fitting with them over Easter.

Other clothing stores:

Surrender - multi-label, street wear and tailored wear (think Supreme next to Thom Browne).

Front Row - APC (now they have their own standalone store), In Good Company, Biro, Etudes etc

Know it Nothing (K.I.N.) at this multi-concept store called P&CT (pact) which is worth checking out - the restobar next to K.I.N. is pretty good. K.I.N. stocks Sifr, Engineered Garments, Band of Outsiders, Momotaro denim (I think).

The Denim Store - err'thang denim, Red Wing, Filson.

Rock Star by Soon Lee - good fun place to see some casual labels, not too expensive. Great place for a pair of Superga (and much cheaper than here)

Maison Ikkoku - casual wear, and a great bar on the roof. Say hi to Leslie.

Sneakers: Leftfoot, Limited Edition

$$$$$

Malmaison - you have to pop in for a look and a sniff. Feels like walking into an edition of The Rake - not surprising since Wei Koh co-curates the brands in the haberdashery. The store is also the only one in the world outside Geneva where there is a colleection of Rolexes that aren't for sale but just for general appreciation. Rubinacci ties and pockets squares, Charvet shirts, Corthay Shoes.

A lot of high end stores at the Marina Bay Sands "Shoppes". Go crazy: http://www.marinabaysands.com/shoppes.html#suite2

$$

C.O.S. - great place for well made basics that is between the price point of 'Uniqlo' and 'fucken ridiculous'

$

There's Uniqlo and H&M if you're not in Melbourne.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Pretty sure C.O.S is opening in Melbourne soon too. Maybe we will get a Vanda outlet too...well Gerald and Diane were here at the start of the year and were shown around by well dressed nice guy Menswear villain Gerry Garry Nelson.

10. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

There's already one in Sydney [​IMG]

11. The Ernesto

Garry really is the most influential man in town.

12. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

gentleman, would any of you be as so bold as to share your skin care regime?

at the moment i'm using Cetaphil facial wash and moisturiser - but have started to use some Grown Alchemist goods; cleanser, toner, the odd serum and moisturiser.

it made make my skin look and feel as though it glowed (got a positive comment on a date last night).

1 person likes this.
  13. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Well-Known Member

I use the Aesop Products. Works well for my skin which is extremely sensitive.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I guess that makes it Melbourne - 2939389383, Sydney - 2. Plus, we have Garry.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Ernesto

We missed the International Day of Happiness. Here's a retrospective contribution.

A classics professor goes to a tailor to get his trousers mended. The tailor asks: “Euripides?” The professor replies: “Yes. Eumenides?”

3 people like this.
  16. Prince of Paisley

Is that the bare ankle count?

17. Journeyman

That's actually very good.

Here's a contribution from the UK's The Guardian newspaper, on foreign jokes:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/19/best-jokes-young-people-around-world

Speaking of "Days", today is Harmony Day, so I'm wearing a pair of orange trousers to celebrate.

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Going by the comments, it's a good thing he said this:

Quote:

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I'm considering a new wallet, but can't decide between the bi-fold or card carrier style:

http://www.chestermox.com/wallets/95-italian-museum-calf-plum-id-bi-fold-wallet.html

v

http://www.chestermox.com/wallets/52-chromexcel-dual-side-wallet-2530.html

The bi-fold is more of a "lifetime" wallet I guess, and is more practical, but taking advantage of the space it offers will lead to it being reasonably bulky - particularly in the pocket of tighter casual pants. I'm not one for switching wallets. The card holder is sleeker but I imagine my tastes will eventually lean more toward the classic bi fold....

There's also the small matter of the price difference.

Incidentally, the company above has 20% off at the moment.

20. The Ernesto

Australian company selling Indian made wallets. Haven't seen any reports on their efforts.

http://bellroy.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.