• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
I'm looking to widen the waistband of my suit pants and also make the thighs area wider. I'm in Sydney and from searching the forum, the recommendations are M&R tailor and Hayel & Sons. Are there any other recommended tailors in the conservative business dress or lower north shore?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-7c O/N this winter is getting absurd currently 3c.

RM Comfort Turnout
Pantherella Argyles
RM black Moleskins
Thick white cotton skivy + wife beater
Heather 2 ply Johnson’s of Elgin cashmere jumper
Peacoat
Watch cap, gloves & 40yo op shop silk scarf and I’m still cold.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-7c O/N this winter is getting absurd currently 3c.

RM Comfort Turnout
Pantherella Argyles
RM black Moleskins
Thick white cotton skivy + wife beater
Heather 2 ply Johnson’s of Elgin cashmere jumper
Peacoat
Watch cap, gloves & 40yo op shop silk scarf and I’m still cold.

Sounds like me on Sunday. I woke up to -2 weather and had to head to Melbourne, returning about 10pm. I had thermals on, a shirt, a jumper, a heavy sports coat, scarf and gloves, and still felt cold until noon.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like me on Sunday. I woke up to -2 weather and had to head to Melbourne, returning about 10pm. I had thermals on, a shirt, a jumper, a heavy sports coat, scarf and gloves, and still felt cold until noon.
I think thermals might be an additional wardrobe essential if this keeps up.

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Who said winter wasn't cold eh? I've been using my overcoat for the better part of almost two months now......sheesh. Then you add in the wind chill....
@Geoffrey Firmin - I feel for you. Is it snowing yet?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who said winter wasn't cold eh? I've been using my overcoat for the better part of almost two months now......sheesh. Then you add in the wind chill....
@Geoffrey Firmin - I feel for you. Is it snowing yet?
Somewhere at times in the past week as the wind just slices through you. On the third bottle of dark rum this winter.:cool2:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm putting these here before it goes up on SF B&S. They're both a little too small for me otherwise I would have kept them. Prices don't include postage. Reach out if you want to see more photos. I didn't want to clog the thread.

Inverallan 3a Lumber Cardigan in indigo-dyed cotton (M)
Worn twice and in almost new condition
Raglan sleeves so no shoulder measurement
Chest: 21"
Length from bottom of collar: 23"

AUD200 (UKP295 from https://clutch-cafe.com/products/allevol-x-inverallan-cable-knit-cardigan-indigo)

tumblr_pc1aeer0Jc1s5fve2o2_540.jpg
tumblr_pc1aeer0Jc1s5fve2o1_540.jpg

Polo Ralph Lauren replica A2 in burnished leather (M)
Talon sipper closure
2 patch pockets
Simple and classic
Shoulders: 18.5"
Length from bottom of collar: 24.5"
Chest: 21"
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25"

AUD200 (AUD1074 from https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/abjnuts/item/0101498/)

tumblr_pc1aeer0Jc1s5fve2o4_540.jpg
tumblr_pc1aeer0Jc1s5fve2o3_540.jpg

Last edited:

flashjack

Reaction score
Anyone here have much experience with Craftsman clothing? I see their RTW site has launched, currently products are limited to gurkha trousers and henley's.

sensuki

Reaction score
I had my first fitting for a pair of The Finery Company Bespoke Trousers today. It was my first bespoke fitting after 3 made to measure trousers through other makers.

I commissioned a pair of of double pleated trousers in mid-grey standeven explorer 240gsm at the last Trunk show. Should be good for summer formal occasions.

I was really impressed. It was a proper basted fitting (not in the actual fabric, it was made from some spare flannel) and Joe did a bunch of pinning and marking with chalk, and we discussed the style - rise & silhouette, length and the oddities such as accommodating for my hollow back and my raised right hip.

The fitting trouser already fit quite well before pinning and some of the changes include a slightly higher back rise, a bit more shape through the back of the leg, slight widening of the leg opening and a slight adjustment to the length.

Really looking forward to the second fitting, can't wait to see the actual garment.

Anyone here have much experience with Craftsman clothing? I see their RTW site has launched, currently products are limited to gurkha trousers and henley's.

I have a pair of the Gurkha pants in the Indigo Denim. They are very good for the price IMO. Really good cut. I think they are very very similar to the Rubinacci version, which they probably copied the pattern & design from.

I have a size 32, the top block is roomy and the waistband is slightly oversized. The thigh is roomy and the leg has a reasonable taper to it.

The construction quality is okay, but cheap. The waistband is fused. There are taped seams on the inside, but they're done quickly. The taped fly seam is only the top layer of fabric, not all of the layers. I doubt that the bartacks on the outside is actually handsewn because they're too perfect and they don't look like a handsewn tack. The pocketbag fabric is pretty cheap and pills quickly but I don't think it will wear out anytime soon. The denims and the summer cottons are all 98% cotton, 2% elastane and they have been upfront about it when you ask, but ambiguous in the marketing.

All of that said I really like the cut, and the comfort and I would consider getting another pair if I liked the fabric.

Last edited:

Article 26

Reaction score
Anyone seen any valstar dark brown suede bombers still for sale? It's like they've all vanished
While not classic bombers, Classic Modern, on Gertrude Street, have a couple of nice suede Valstar pieces. (Thanks @Gerry Nelson for the direction). Tim, of classic modern, is currently making enquiries as to whether he can get me a classic suede Bomber (Tan) after just wasting a silly amount of $ on a BC suede bomber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads