• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, first post here. Figured this would be the best place to ask this, although I know there isnt a whole lot of focus on fashion-forward garments, but anyway. I recently bought this lemaire jacket (seen in the pictures) and it is much too wide for me in the shoulders and all the way down through the body ie. chest and waist, which in turn makes the sleeves too long and also makes them puff out excessively due to them already being quite baggy. Its quite a unique design, hence why I bought it in the first place, and as such I would much rather to try get it tailored than to have to return it (this is the smallest size they have btw). However there are a lot of odd construction techniques used it, in that you wouldnt usually see in this kind of jacket, which I imagine could make it quite difficult to alter, such as pockets which cut through the side seams and horizontally darted sleeves which give them that billowy silhouette. The fabric would be fairly simple to work with I imagine though (just a cotton canvas type fabric outer with a wool lining around the chest and cotton lining in the sleeves). As it would need to be re-cut, I figure I would need a rather high end tailor to do a good job of it, so I was wondering if you guys thought this would actually be plausible and that it could be done to a high quality standard, as if it just came out of the store, assuming I had the right tailor. Also, I live in Sydney, so if anyone could recommend a tailor that they think would be able to do this, and do an extremely good job of it, that would be greatly appreciated. Id be willing to spend several hundred to get it done if need be, as I would really like to be able to keep this jacket. Thanks in advance.
this is a nice jacket but i think for the work you want, unless you know how to be specific, a tailor will do a wack job. also if it doesn't fit in the shoulders you'll ruin the sillouhette by trying to alter it. just return it, and use that money to buy a few good bottles of whisky, and maybe another bottle for the money you saved in tailoring costs. Enjoy yourself! Edit: Sorry I missed the fact that you're a hectic lad, so perhaps get a few nautica polos and polo ralph lauren caps would do well in lieu of that last bottle of whisky! :slayer:

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with soller and Simpson carmina lasts? I'm an 8uk in the soller boot, 8.5 uetam trying to work out best size for chelseas?

Cheers (yes already asked in sizing thread no love)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately he bought it for me over a year ago and the receipt has long since gone missing. I've considered selling it second hand but I am unsure how successful that would be.

Could I please have some advise on purchasing OCBDs?

Previously I've bought them from Suit Shop but have been less than impressed with my latest order.

I'm looking at purchasing from:

1. Kamakura

I'm a bulkier guy. Any suggestions as to what fit to purchase?

2. Brooks Brothers

I'm certain I would be an extra slim in their OCBDs, however they don't sell them in Australia.

How could I go about ordering some?

Consider this, a friend and I we're discussing OCBD the other day.

Q
Here is the O’Connell’s shirt I was talking about.
According to someone on AAAC the fit is pretty much the same as BB “Regular”.
The shirts are rumoured to be made by Gitman for O’Connell’s.

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-C-Unlined-and-Unfused-Oxford-Cloth-Button-Down-Shirt-Blue.html

Another interesting option for an unlined OCBD at full price is http://michaelspencer.us

I much prefer the look of the longer collar on the Michael Spencer shirts compared to the standard BB shirts.
Oddly enough it’s only a 1/4” difference.

http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/2015/10/michael-spencer-ocbd-review

Last edited:

d4g6k11

Reaction score
Stage one of my wardrobe revamp is complete. I have purchased the following

1. Long sleeve work shirts (TM Lewin, MJ Bale, Ben Sherman)
2. Short sleeve collared shirts (I know they are contentious but its Brisbane and summer!)
3. Chinos (Mixed Brands)
4. RM Williams Boots
5. Cuff links for shirts

A belt to match the boots will be bought when I get the boots in hand.

It may not seem like much but I used to wear cheapo polo/cargo combinations. Baby steps.

What's next?
I'm thinking a couple of flat caps, waistcoats for winter, a knit jumper, some ties, a good pair of jeans.

Any recommendations for denim, ties etc?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for denim, ties etc?
Get a Sam Hober tie. Just the one. Then you'll understand why he has an enormous thread with hundreds of pages. These ties make me wish I wore a suit more often, so I could justify buying a dozen.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli you'd be the New York standard fit in kamakura. The slim fit New York has darts in it which I don't think would really suit your body as you don't have a really hollow back. Definitely not Tokyo fit. I find the shoulders are a touch small so maybe size up by half.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with soller and Simpson carmina lasts? I'm an 8uk in the soller boot, 8.5 uetam trying to work out best size for chelseas?

I've found Soller wide in the forefoot, narrow in the heel, so I don't know if it's the best last for chelseas. That said, I took my normal size in a pair of chukkas and have been very happy.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oli you'd be the New York standard fit in kamakura. The slim fit New York has darts in it which I don't think would really suit your body as you don't have a really hollow back. Definitely not Tokyo fit. I find the shoulders are a touch small so maybe size up by half.
I think most of the new Kamakura oxfords have replaced the darts with a centre pleat. That said, the slim fits can be a bit tight in the chest and shoulders compared to other OTR shirts with the same collar size.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think most of the new Kamakura oxfords have replaced the darts with a centre pleat. That said, the slim fits can be a bit tight in the chest and shoulders compared to other OTR shirts with the same collar size.

I'm guessing you don't touch the Tokyo fit?

Decreased

Reaction score

Some people size up in Simpson looking back through the Carmina threads here and at AAAC.

Looking at this https://www.carminashoemaker.com/about-last I'd say it depends largely on how comfortable you find the 8uk in the wider soller. If it is snug then you would need to go up I guess. Good luck and let us know how you go

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RMW price hike with their MTO book closed for the time being
1f629.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads