• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found Soller wide in the forefoot, narrow in the heel, so I don't know if it's the best last for chelseas. That said, I took my normal size in a pair of chukkas and have been very happy.

Some people size up in Simpson looking back through the Carmina threads here and at AAAC.

Looking at this https://www.carminashoemaker.com/about-last I'd say it depends largely on how comfortable you find the 8uk in the wider soller. If it is snug then you would need to go up I guess. Good luck and let us know how you go

Thanks for the replies lads. Found a couple of posts from people who are x in soller and x.5 in Simpson so will just order the half size up I think. These boots have been the hardest thing to buy (SF wise) initially started with CS Jodhpurs then to RM's then landed on Carmina's at last.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue with the Simpson last is that it's pretty narrow in the forefoot. This is not a problem for me with a fairly narrow forefoot. I have a pair of suede loafers in the Simpson last and I didn't need to size up. (Was able to try them on at American Tailors, which is in fact where I bought them.)

If you have a wide forefoot, then by all means size up. Lasts like Rain and (?)Oscar have a much wider forefoot.

Spandexter

Reaction score
The instep on the Simpson last is also lower when compared to the rain last. Sizing up .5 on the Simpson is a good idea.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same day DryCleaner required in either conservative business dress or Potts Point Eastern Suburbs. Any suggestions?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
State of menswear in HK has room for improvement. Used to be decent, now probably already surpassed by Sydney. Since Xmas eve, have not seen a single decent captoe even in TST and Causeway Bay. In fact, you will struggle to find someone in a sport coat, let alone a decent fitting one.

Artisan supplies though are plentiful in Sham Shui Po. Genuine horn buttons, shell cordovan from Horween/Comipel/Shinki, suiting fabrics, etc.

Prices are pretty high due to strong HKD vs weak AUD. You think Sydney property prices are bad, how about HKD$42m for a 150 square meter apartment in waterfront Whampoa, nearly twice the price of a 2 bedroom in Barangaroo. Crazy....

Happy belated new year to all.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Malaysia and Singapore in a couple of weeks. I've been told by multiple sources not to bother shopping in Singapore. As for Malaysia, KL, anywhere I ought to check out?

And more importantly, places to eat for both?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be in Malaysia and Singapore in a couple of weeks. I've been told by multiple sources not to bother shopping in Singapore. As for Malaysia, KL, anywhere I ought to check out?

Vanda Fine Clothing might be worth a visit. There is also a croc farm there, maybe get a croc wallet on the cheap?

The lunch buffet at the Hyatt on Scotts Road is well worth considering. Lots of local street food in air conditioned comfort, with some hard to find local desserts.

Have not been to KL for ages, so no idea there I am afraid.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Singapore: bistro du vin or Gunther's for cheap (by Sydney standards) good French lunch, Hakumai for great omakase, Auld Alliance for any scotch you can think of. My favourite hawkers all seem to be closing (Lavender Food Centre is especially missed, I am sure the new condos will be great) but you can grab a craft beer at Chinatown Complex on level 2 at either Smith Street Taps or The Good Beer Company to accompany food from over 250 stalls. Crab at Owen's (at Turf Club - but not Ah Yat, go to the back and find Owen's), get pepper and salted egg yolk sauces first (then chili, if there's enough of you to warrant a third crab). The bamboo clams with garlic are also good but look at the price first.

http://julianteoh.blogspot.sg/ is the only food blog I found worth reading (i.e. not corrupted by mass marketing money, and written by someone who knows what he is doing) if you're looking for fine dining suggestions, also covers KL. The Michelin guide is useless (here; it's fine in Europe or Japan).

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two weddings this summer. Both on 36+ degree days.

That is not weather for wearing pants, a shirt, a tie, or leather shoes.

I don't care who you are that's just not formal attire weather.

iSurg

Reaction score
Before it gets bagged as evidence.

Speaking about bags, I need to move on from my Filson briefcase into a comfortable backpack - has anyone tried the Filson ranger or the Journeyman (maybe, I don't know, Journeyman? lol).

Journeyman backpack actually looks awesome (the gentleman, I am sure, is also likely to be a fly mofo)....

ryanohare

Reaction score

Two weddings this summer. Both on 36+ degree days.

That is not weather for wearing pants, a shirt, a tie, or leather shoes.

I don't care who you are that's just not formal attire weather.

So if you're not wearing pants or a shirt, what are you wearing?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicolewestley