• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_9707.jpeg

Archive disposal Men’s Fashion Handbook SMH&The Age2002

__PG__

Reaction score
Hello again.

Time to come out of 'retirement' - Nice to see some familiar faces are still posting.

I'll start with a quick question. A friend of mine who lives south of the river needs some alterations done to a good dinner suit (he's lost 20kg). I used to see Arthur in South Yarra but he went out of business a few years go. My current conservative business dress tailor (Samuel at Master alterations/Dry Cleaning) says a lot of tailors are no longer working post-COVID.

I see Mila at Magic Alterations is still being recommended, she's based in Hawthorn.

Can anyone else suggest someone closer to Malvern/South Yarra?

Cheers

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for recommendations re good tailors in Tokyo that won’t break the bank! Any suggestions? I’m thinking Azabu in Shibuya at the moment. Ethan Newton recommended them back when he was working for Herringbone, and they seem like a decent mob. Thinking of getting a sport jacket and trousers…

Last edited:

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello again.

Time to come out of 'retirement' - Nice to see some familiar faces are still posting.

I'll start with a quick question. A friend of mine who lives south of the river needs some alterations done to a good dinner suit (he's lost 20kg). I used to see Arthur in South Yarra but he went out of business a few years go. My current conservative business dress tailor (Samuel at Master alterations/Dry Cleaning) says a lot of tailors are no longer working post-COVID.

I see Mila at Magic Alterations is still being recommended, she's based in Hawthorn.

Can anyone else suggest someone closer to Malvern/South Yarra?

Cheers
A couple of years back I looked, but did not find anyone, on the inner Southside.

Hawthorn's not too far a schlep though surely?

__PG__

Reaction score
A couple of years back I looked, but did not find anyone, on the inner Southside.

Hawthorn's not too far a schlep though surely?
I guess it will have to do. I gave him the number from her old Facebook page :

I was at American Tailors the other day (long story) and Sebastian mentioned a tailor in Elwood who he regards as Melbourne's best. I think this is the man in question (he's in Elsternwick):

I don't recall Pino ever mentioned here before, there is one post about him from 2021. FWIW I passed along his details to my friend.

SKS

Reaction score
G'Day. Is there a community-approved list of dry cleaners in each state?

__PG__

Reaction score
Anyway - sharing some stories from the past year. My son is of an age where he needed a good suit and shoes for his school stage band concerts and school formals.

He needed a black suit for Generations in Jazz in May. He was still very small across the shoulders so op-shops gave no joy. He was in a hurry, I was busy at work so I left my wife to handle it. I told her "just go to Northland and buy some cheap Politix suit on special for $200. He'll grow out of it anyway."

They return, with a Tarocash suit and shirt combo for $600. I was livid.

For that price, you could have gotten a new wool suit from Oxford, MJ Bale, or even a suit from Azzaro.

I still haven't gotten over it. The shame...the shame.

So a few months later he needed some nice shoes for a school formal. I decided to get invested to avoid repeating crimes against nature.

"No son of mine is going to seen in public wearing bad shoes" - so I did some research and I found these from Oxford:

Black cap-toe Oxfords from Oxford clothing.

Full calf leather, Goodyear welted. They polished up pretty well. Made in India. Quality is slightly below my Loake 1880s, probably on par with Loake's entry level lines. Maybe they are made in the same factory?

I think his feet have finished growing (he's 17 1/2) so I didn't mind paying a reasonable amount of $$$ for a reasonable shoe. So for those of you starting out in your sartorial journey (or if you're doing it on behalf of your kids), they're a good place to start.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melbourne people often recommend Bancroft's in South Yarra for your extra-special suits and jackets.

Expensive though.
BAncrofts are hit and miss, I found. Have started using Laundry Box in Port Melbourne. They have proven to be rather good.

Now that Elegant Dry cleaners in Armadale has changed hands, I retract my personal recommendation from sometime ago.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time, PG! How’ve you been? I only pop in here every now and again these days…
Anyway - sharing some stories from the past year. My son is of an age where he needed a good suit and shoes for his school stage band concerts and school formals.

He needed a black suit for Generations in Jazz in May. He was still very small across the shoulders so op-shops gave no joy. He was in a hurry, I was busy at work so I left my wife to handle it. I told her "just go to Northland and buy some cheap Politix suit on special for $200. He'll grow out of it anyway."

They return, with a Tarocash suit and shirt combo for $600. I was livid.

For that price, you could have gotten a new wool suit from Oxford, MJ Bale, or even a suit from Azzaro.

I still haven't gotten over it. The shame...the shame.

So a few months later he needed some nice shoes for a school formal. I decided to get invested to avoid repeating crimes against nature.

"No son of mine is going to seen in public wearing bad shoes" - so I did some research and I found these from Oxford:

Black cap-toe Oxfords from Oxford clothing.

Full calf leather, Goodyear welted. They polished up pretty well. Made in India. Quality is slightly below my Loake 1880s, probably on par with Loake's entry level lines. Maybe they are made in the same factory?

I think his feet have finished growing (he's 17 1/2) so I didn't mind paying a reasonable amount of $$$ for a reasonable shoe. So for those of you starting out in your sartorial journey (or if you're doing it on behalf of your kids), they're a good place to

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with Bancroft's.

There's a place in Oakleigh which is cheaper and good. Apparently Zegna use them, and they were recommended to me by Steve Calder. I suspect they might do city pick ups but I don't know - maybe you have to be a Zegna customer? I had to drive down there to drop off and pick up and it was a drag.

If you're in Brisbane, Leon's is the only game in town. They have a shop next door doing repairs and alterations that is decent as well, especially since Tess' quality has become very variable.

Nelton

Reaction score
Hey chaps, I‘m Nick and have recently moved to Sydney from London. I’m loving it here but my goodness the affordable tailoring options are limited! So much so I just ordered a new suit and a couple of trou from Spier & Mackay… however, I now need a good tailor to make a few adjustments to the jacket and trousers.

Any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced tailor?I’m living in Manly so anything local would be perfect but if not somewhere from Circular Quay up to Martin Place / Wynyard would ok too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads