• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Stitches

Reaction score
I'm sure you have to be picky and choosy when it comes to online sites. Having said that, I've only had good experiences with eyegoodies and contactsandspecs for both suns and optics.

Stitches

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy from Frames Emporium

• Ekomi is pretty shady. Never trust advertised reviews on the site itself, always google around.
  • They don't advertise what lens brand they're offering
  • They don't have a storefront address
  • They're offering many older models with a few more recent ones

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just had the opportunity to play with a Oliver Peoples frame. It has a plastic frame. In all honesty, I'm a little disappointed. The quality was nowhere near what I was expecting. I haven't seen one of their frames in a while and i wasn't impressed. The hinges were good, but the material was not up to par. It was made in Italy. The quality was similar to that of Versace, Ferragamo, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on them, I'm just giving my honest opinion about it.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score

I wouldn't buy from Frames Emporium

• Ekomi is pretty shady. Never trust advertised reviews on the site itself, always google around.
  • They don't advertise what lense brand they're offering
  • They don't have a storefront address
  • They're offering many older models with a few more recent ones
Yeah, I actually read up on those reviews. Thanks though.

Looks like I'm going with Salt then. Actually tried on a ton of Salt frames and Barton Perreira (+other boutique brands) at my local place. Felt kinda slimy knowing I was just going there to try stuff on to order online at home because the folks working there seem pretty nice. I am going to have them put the lenses in though.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I actually read up on those reviews. Thanks though.
Looks like I'm going with Salt then. Actually tried on a ton of Salt frames and Barton Perreira (+other boutique brands) at my local place. Felt kinda slimy knowing I was just going there to try stuff on to order online at home because the folks working there seem pretty nice. I am going to have them put the lenses in though.

You should call and see if they give you a "preferred" price if you get frame and lens. Most places do. When you come in with a frame to change the lenses only, you can be assured that they will remember and you probably won't be getting the "best" possible price. Also, if their price is similar, get it from the B&M. If you have any problems with the frames or lenses, they will be more willing to help you. If you get them at separate places they will pass the buck and tell you to call the other place. As well, if you appreciate their service, why wouldn't you pay for that service. They will have to adjust the frames for you after as well. While they adjust it, it if breaks, you're out of luck. They aren't going to replace it for you. IMHO, if you appreciated their service and selection of frames, why not show them by buying it with them?

(I only say this because your post makes it sound like you feel guilty)

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
I think you'll find that the handful of Oliver Peoples frames that are (or were) made in Japan are of much higher quality than those made in Italy - but another Luxottica victim nonetheless.

Also, I think the Depp frames are vintage Tart "Arnel"s - not to be confused with the current Chinese-made "heritage" offering from the California-based company operating under that same name. The Moscot "Lemtosh" is, I believe, a very close copy (and a fairly nice Chinese- made frame for the price) but not quite the same as the original heavy-duty and made-in-USA Tart.

sm31

Reaction score

So I just had the opportunity to play with a Oliver Peoples frame. It has a plastic frame. In all honesty, I'm a little disappointed. The quality was nowhere near what I was expecting. I haven't seen one of their frames in a while and i wasn't impressed. The hinges were good, but the material was not up to par.

How can one assess material quality? Is it obvious handle them in person? Something in particular to look for?

MartinLil

Reaction score

I currently have the Warby Parker Preston.
http://shopwithmeaning.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Preston-200-side.jpg
I feel like like it's a tiny on the bigger side for my face so I'm looking for a similar frame just smaller, maybe higher quality? I'm not sure why but I didn't really like plastic, does anyone make affordable frames with higher quality plastic or actual tortoise?

Tortoise is illegal seeing that it is harvested from an endangered species... :uhoh: If you want a leap in quality, you're going to have to pay for it. I'm pretty rough on my glasses and tend to get tired of the same frames after about a year or so of wear. So, I usually don't spend more than a few hundred on a pair. If you do upgrade, though, at least move up to a pair of frames with spring hinges; they're much more comfortable.

luker

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of new specs,appreciate if anyone can give some feedbacks/reviews on these models:

- oliver peoples sheldrake in black
- moscot lemtosh in black/tortoise
- tart optical arnel in black

They seem to look quite similar in design,but still there are some differences,and considering which to get.I'm also not sure if these frames have a wider "nose pads" for asian without a high nose bridge.

Which will you get?

Stitches

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of new specs,appreciate if anyone can give some feedbacks/reviews on these models:

- oliver peoples sheldrake in black
- moscot lemtosh in black/tortoise
- tart optical arnel in black

They seem to look quite similar in design,but still there are some differences,and considering which to get.I'm also not sure if these frames have a wider "nose pads" for asian without a high nose bridge.

Which will you get?

Oliver and Moscot are of lesser quality than the Tart. However, the Tart is really over priced.

Tart recently relaunched after the first owner died and someone else bought the rights. They rereleased the Arnel frames originally at $200 then bumped the price up to over $400. If you're willing to pay that price, I'd say buy a pair of vintage Arnel's off the bay.

I'm fairly sure that the relaunched Arnel's no longer use functional rivets (the metal on the sides).

Apart from that, they are just frames which all look very similar. I would really prefer the Tarts but I could live with the Moscots or OP's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads