• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Constructive comments on my new suit jacket (trousers are perfect). I need to know what to do.

Changing the shadows so you can see details (ignore colour).

I don't feel it looks so flattering to my athletic physique, but am I just swayed by recent fashions?

Is this just sleeve pitch?

Or should I try 44L (shown is 42L)

hey all. is it possible to get a "decent" quality button down dress shirt for ~$30 other than the times that Charles Tyrwhitt is on sale?

seems super impossible.

thanks!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Probably depends on your definition of quality, but you might try Thin Red Line, although I don't know if their slim fit would be cut slim enough for you (don't you usually prefer ESF?). Their shirts are well made but boxy. Based on my experience order at least a neck size smaller than you think you need (or at least half). Probably better to hold off for Tyrwhitt.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
What umbrella handle would people recommend for formal (dinner jacket) evening events?

I am quite partial for whangee but cannot see this as dressy enough unfortunately. That leaves me with malacca and maple out of what I have seen.

What are people's opinion on silver lapbands?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Snaap

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking a lot and posting a little, mostly about my troubles finding decently fitting shirts.
I feel like I finaly figured out what might cause my problem - I have very square shoulders apparently.

Now considering this new information, is there advice anyone could give me? (I'm sure I'm not the first person to "suffer" from that)
Are there any brands that cut their shirts with a smaller slope than usual? Is this something that should make me look at MTM more strongly?

(btw. please keep in mind that I have a limited budget of 50-60€ per shirt, tops)

I'm really thankful for any adivce, I've been trying to deal with this issue for a while, so I would be very relieved if I could find a way to fix that.

Snaap

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen I think at least 5 ads on Facebook for different "custom" clothing options.

http://fashionista.com/2014/07/8-tech-startups-tackling-clothing-fit
http://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/startups-custom-clothing-for-masses.html
http://blog.fashionmetric.com/the-re-evolution-of-custom-clothing/
https://creator.wework.com/wework-c...ar-entrepreneurs-its-us-against-the-big-guys/
and I see Proper Cloth, Black Lapel, etc on Facebook.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Is there a thread comparing all of these different startups?

Snaap

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking a lot and posting a little, mostly about my troubles finding decently fitting shirts.
I feel like I finaly figured out what might cause my problem - I have very square shoulders apparently.

Now considering this new information, is there advice anyone could give me? (I'm sure I'm not the first person to "suffer" from that)
Are there any brands that cut their shirts with a smaller slope than usual? Is this something that should make me look at MTM more strongly?

(btw. please keep in mind that I have a limited budget of 50-60€ per shirt, tops)

I'm really thankful for any adivce, I've been trying to deal with this issue for a while, so I would be very relieved if I could find a way to fix that.

Snaap
To make it more concrete, I was able to try some shirts (and a suit) on today, here are some pictures ( I did not tuck in, assuming that would make it easier to judge the sizing):

1. Charles Tyrwhitt 40,5 Extra Slim Fit

-> some rolling/pulling in the back, between the darts -> how bad? , cuffs too big?
-> disregarding the cufs, how is the fit?

2. Charles Tyrwhitt 40,5 Slim Fit

-> upper part of the shirt looks fine to me, should I consider keeping that and having the sides taken in?
-> Should I try a size 39 or is it unlikely that it will fit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen I think at least 5 ads on Facebook for different "custom" clothing options.

http://fashionista.com/2014/07/8-tech-startups-tackling-clothing-fit
http://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/startups-custom-clothing-for-masses.html
http://blog.fashionmetric.com/the-re-evolution-of-custom-clothing/
https://creator.wework.com/wework-c...ar-entrepreneurs-its-us-against-the-big-guys/
and I see Proper Cloth, Black Lapel, etc on Facebook.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Is there a thread comparing all of these different startups?
So, my feeling is go with www.KentWang.com for online MTM. They're going to give you the best product/price ratio.

I believe Oliver Wicks finishes their suits by hand and has a full canvas option, but if you pay up for that option, you might as well go with Kent Wang. You can see his work all over this site. He is sort of a product of StyleForum, and active community member, and many of the best dressed people on the forum wear his clothing. You get full canvased, hand made suits and jackets for less than $800 (at the opening fabric grade). Can't be beat, in my opinion.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Kent Wang jackets that I've seen posted so far, but I have to say, I don't think I've seen a pair of KW trousers that fit properly in the seat and rear thighs. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Reaction score
So, my feeling is go with www.KentWang.com for online MTM. They're going to give you the best product/price ratio.

I believe Oliver Wicks finishes their suits by hand and has a full canvas option, but if you pay up for that option, you might as well go with Kent Wang. You can see his work all over this site. He is sort of a product of StyleForum, and active community member, and many of the best dressed people on the forum wear his clothing. You get full canvased, hand made suits and jackets for less than $800 (at the opening fabric grade). Can't be beat, in my opinion.

How about for a younger feel? The shirts there are pretty blah, and not particularly "stylish" in my mind. They seem like a much better option for someone needing to wear a suit and tie to work everyday, but it doesn't look particularly great for my style.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SanDiegoMD