• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

abl

Reaction score
(I also dig the Bonobos Regency, but I'm not sure that I can pull it off, and i'm also nervous that a camel topcoat is a tad to conspicuous for my one and only coat [and an interview coat to boot]).

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're going to have one coat, I think that Navy is the safest and most versatile color. Or perhaps charcoal. Black would do everything, but I feel like you're more likely to wear a navy suit than a black suit and black/navy look weird together if they're close in color.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to have one coat, I think that Navy is the safest and most versatile color. Or perhaps charcoal. Black would do everything, but I feel like you're more likely to wear a navy suit than a black suit and black/navy look weird together if they're close in color.
I think charcoal is best for an only coat; it does not look weird with anything. I love my black Corleani trench coat, though. Also have a charcoal Bugatti overcoat, and black Perry Ellis car coat, that is great for going more casual in the winter.

I generally don't like black and navy together in a fit, but it's never bothered me as a combo when one is outerwear and the other isn't. I don't know why; I just always saw them as separate somehow - same thing black shoes and belts with navy suits don't bother me, but a black tie with a navy suit looks off to me, unless the blue goes as far as midnight. But, I seem to be pretty weird about this, based on other opinions I've read here. I also like black and brown together, and am, it seems, clearly in the minority.

abl

Reaction score

I think charcoal is best for an only coat; it does not look weird with anything.  I love my black Corleani trench coat, though.  Also have a charcoal Bugatti overcoat, and black Perry Ellis car coat, that is great for going more casual in the winter.

I generally don't like black and navy together in a fit, but it's never bothered me as a combo when one is outerwear and the other isn't.  I don't know why; I just always saw them as separate somehow - same thing black shoes and belts with navy suits don't bother me, but a black tie with a navy suit looks off to me, unless the blue goes as far as midnight.  But, I seem to be pretty weird about this, based on other opinions I've read here.  I also like black and brown together, and am, it seems, clearly in the minority.

Dang! I thought the coat was charcoal, but looking more closely I do now see that it is black.

Any suggestions? I've combed the boards and actually haven't found anything in the roughly $100-350 range.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang! I thought the coat was charcoal, but looking more closely I do now see that it is black.

Any suggestions? I've combed the boards and actually haven't found anything in the roughly $100-350 range.

If you like the black coat, and you want to wear it regularly, buy it. Buy what YOU want to wear. Just because someone gives advice does not mean you have to agree with it. I still say charcoal is best, and most here will say navy is best, but you don't have to agree just because some guys on the internet said so.

If, in fact, you agree with the advice here, and you still prefer charcoal or navy, have you perused eBay, or consignment stores? I can't remember if I already suggested that, so sorry if I'm repeating myself. Try www.savvyrow.co.uk -- I'm very happy with their service, and the morning coat I purchased from them.

abl

Reaction score

If you like the black coat, and you want to wear it regularly, buy it.  Buy what YOU want to wear.  Just because someone gives advice does not mean you have to agree with it.  I still say charcoal is best, and most here will say navy is best, but you don't have to agree just because some guys on the internet said so.  

If, in fact, you agree with the advice here, and you still prefer charcoal or navy, have you perused eBay, or consignment stores?  I can't remember if I already suggested that, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.  Try www.savvyrow.co.uk -- I'm very happy with their service, and the morning coat I purchased from them.

Well, because I'm getting this in large part so that I look sharp in interviews, the fact that most of the fashion-conscious people I've heard from here seem to think that black's a bad call is relevant. I suspect most people interviewing me wouldn't judge me negatively for walking in wearing a pea coat, but I'm still going to avoid getting a pea coat on the roughly 1/5 chance that my interviewer cares about these things and knows that pea coats aren't technically appropriate for wearing over suits. My interview suit is navy, so if there's some real chance that the black-navy clash will rub someone the wrong way, I want to avoid it.

I have been looking on ebay and, sadly, am really seeing very little (well, there's a lot of crap and some VERY nice stuff -- but really not much <$500 of JAB quality or better). There doesn't look like there's anything on savvyrow right now, but I registered so hopefully something'll get posted soon. I'm not in a huge rush here -- my goal's to have this taken care of by early January. That said, I am concerned that I haven't really found a good fallback option yet.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charcoal is probably what I'd own in the artificial condition that I were limited to one topcoat.

Black is a particularly good choice for nighttime wear, though.

Perhaps as important to me as color, would be length. I prefer a full length topcoat (not necessarily ankle length, but coming down to well below the knee). A short topcoat just seems weird to me. Not as warm, of course, but more to the point the short length seems to leave the wearer looking unbalanced. Top-heavy.

I reluctantly admit, however, that a shorter topcoat is a little less awkward to wear when driving a car. Not that one can't wear a full length topcoat while behind the wheel - I've done it many times - but it's not really the ideal garment to wear while driving a car for an extended period of time, unless the car's heater isn't working and it's 12 deg. outside. (Do not be that foolish guy who, in freezing weather, takes off his suit jacket or sports coat, and his topcoat, before getting in the car.)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, because I'm getting this in large part so that I look sharp in interviews, the fact that most of the fashion-conscious people I've heard from here seem to think that black's a bad call is relevant. I suspect most people interviewing me wouldn't judge me negatively for walking in wearing a pea coat, but I'm still going to avoid getting a pea coat on the roughly 1/5 chance that my interviewer cares about these things and knows that pea coats aren't technically appropriate for wearing over suits. My interview suit is navy, so if there's some real chance that the black-navy clash will rub someone the wrong way, I want to avoid it.

I have been looking on ebay and, sadly, am really seeing very little (well, there's a lot of crap and some VERY nice stuff -- but really not much <$500 of JAB quality or better). There doesn't look like there's anything on savvyrow right now, but I registered so hopefully something'll get posted soon. I'm not in a huge rush here -- my goal's to have this taken care of by early January. That said, I am concerned that I haven't really found a good fallback option yet.

I would set aside a day for thrift and consignment shops, and, at most consignment stores, if you tell them exactly what they are looking for, they'll take your info and may let you know if something comes in. Often, however, the proprietors of consignment stores lack follow through, so you should call in/go in periodically as well.

bbob2013

Reaction score
Boy did I make a mistake...

I am trying to nail down a decent option for some spring/summer shirts. Ideally I wanted a shirt I can wear untucked, and it not look too sloppy. After a brief discussion with my MTM shirt guy (local), I decided to go with a straight cut (no tail) at a decent length hitting mid zipper on my jeans with an approximate 2 inch vent on the side seams. I admit I didn't think this through very well, and upon arrival I hate the cut. They look very guayabera like, and to make matters worse bc. of the side vents (maybe being too large) the shirt flairs, and this is not doing my profile any favors.

The way I see it, either I have the side vents closed to prevent flairing, and/or have a modest tail cut.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, as they sit now a total waste of money and time
uhoh.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boy did I make a mistake...

I am trying to nail down a decent option for some spring/summer shirts. Ideally I wanted a shirt I can wear untucked, and it not look too sloppy. After a brief discussion with my MTM shirt guy (local), I decided to go with a straight cut (no tail) at a decent length hitting mid zipper on my jeans with an approximate 2 inch vent on the side seams. I admit I didn't think this through very well, and upon arrival I hate the cut. They look very guayabera like, and to make matters worse bc. of the side vents (maybe being too large) the shirt flairs, and this is not doing my profile any favors.

The way I see it, either I have the side vents closed to prevent flairing, and/or have a modest tail cut.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, as they sit now a total waste of money and time :uhoh:  

Tuck your shirt in.

jadias

Reaction score
Ok, so messing around with pairing my favourite navy blazer (it's actually somewhere between a blazer and a sport coat - it has shoulder pleats, a little pocket on the back, I got it cut a little longer in the sleeve and it will button closed at the top for cycling... all important to me since I pretty much cycle everywhere) and pairing it with jeans and a tie. I've worn it out with jeans before and received several compliments, but never with a tie.

I went with two knit ties: a sort of mottled grey/deep burgundy and a plain black. I'm not sure which I prefer, if either. The red is a nicer tie, regardless. Also played with loosening the tie and unbuttoning the top button, but it never looks right to me - sloppy rather than casual.

Thoughts?

Bonus with scarf/gloves because man, it's cold.

Sorry for the rubbish iPhone photos...

Last edited:

click here

Reaction score
^looks fine to me, but what do I know...

Anyway, my noob question

I recently got my first spread collar shirt from Kamakura.

I don't usually button my shirt all the way up (I leave 2 or 3 unbuttoned). And this leaves the collar looking funny. I was wondering is there a way to fix this eg Ironing the collar down or getting the tailor to add buttons so that it looks like a OCBD?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads