• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody have suggestions for a sub-$250 wool windowpane jacket? I don't have anything in wool with patch pockets or w/ a 3-roll-2 button stance so I'd love to have both features but willing to make some compromise as long as I can find something within my budget. I was initially thinking something w/ a navy ground and white windowpane, like this Beckett & Robb one featured on the From Squalor to Baller blog today: but I couldn't find anything in exactly this style within my budget. I want a darker base so I can wear light trousers with it, and if it's casual enough, denim. I came across this jacket from Cantarelli on Yoox, it's $250 after the code so it's at the top of my budget. It's also a bit more complex than I initially wanted, with brown windowpaning, and a blueish gray base that has a plaid pattern to it. But I haven't found anything better since. Do y'all have any alternatives? Opinions on this particular item? Thanks!
Have you tried suit supply?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a good duffle coat for a while, but I'm on a budget so I'm looking at used ones.

Does this seem versatile? It looks like an old gloverall. I'd wear it casually and to work over a blazer.

Thanks!

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I've got a few gems from ebay. Good name brands, slightly worn and well below your budget. Within Ebay search your jacket size and window pan and voila!

Juan

Reaction score
A polyester "sheepskin" coat... is it a hopeless no-no?

Last edited:

jadias

Reaction score
Knit ties are sweet. I picked this one up today.

Reckon it's too matchy-matchy with the pocket square, or fine? Photo colours are fairly true to life, for once, although it doesn't come across too well that the tie is sort of flecked with little patches of greyish colour.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried suit supply?
Didn't see anything when the Outlet was open that stood out to me (They had a few plaids and one bold suit but it was a bright blue w/ peak lapels), though outlet prices would be ideal. Nothing looks that good from their current crop of jackets either. Any other ideas?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This will just look bad. You will end up with a jacket that's too short, or the pockets will seem too low. The perception will be that there's something off with your coat.

Again, the amount of taper cut into a coat doesn't matter if you're having the waist altered. Sure, Ned seems to get more of a tapered jacket than, say, J. Press. But if he cut that jacket from somebody with two inches less in the drop than you, then the coat is not going to be particularly tapered.
So you think RLBL suits don't look right with their low pockets?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I've been looking for a good duffle coat for a while, but I'm on a budget so I'm looking at used ones. Does this seem versatile? It looks like an old gloverall. I'd wear it casually and to work over a blazer.

What's your profession? I'd never wear a duffelcoat to work over a jacket or suit. Too informal.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's your profession? I'd never wear a duffelcoat to work over a jacket or suit. Too informal.

I work in surgical research. The particular one I posted looks ratty, so I'm skipping it. I think I'll hold off.

I usually wear a peacoat in, but have worn a ski jacket over the last few nasty days. My peacoat is definitely showing it's age so I was hoping to get something a little more fun. I might just get my peacoat fixed and stay with it for a while longer and just save up till I find something I want to jump on.

doggie

Reaction score
Hey all! Just made an account real quick to ask for advice on an outfit. I have a winter dance this saturday, and was asking for some feedback on an outfit. No pics yet, but I was going to wear charcoal or dark gray pants, a white dress shirt, and a black or navy sweater. Thoughts?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just made an account real quick to ask for advice on an outfit. I have a winter dance this saturday, and was asking for some feedback on an outfit. No pics yet, but I was going to wear charcoal or dark gray pants, a white dress shirt, and a black or navy sweater. Thoughts?

Seems good if that's the general level of formality of the event. As for choosing between navy and black, pick whichever looks better with your complexion.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ski jacket over sport coat or suit is... probably a look best avoided. Just saying.

Jeez dude, I know that! It's the only thing I have for the slop. Hence the search for a new coat!

abl

Reaction score

Quote:
Post on the looking for thread or check ebay. Seriously.
To clarify: I don't need that exact jacket. I dig the BB topcoat as well (see below). I'm looking for something in this topcoat style that's more in my price range. Thanks! Basically: looking for nice overcoat that I can wear with a suit in the $150-350 range. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads