• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
"ceilingfanrepair?" I thought you said you were in the music industry, and that was why you dressed the way you do?

I am. I am Minister of Music for two churches on Sundays, freelance for several other churches, travel with many recognised gospel artists and groups (as part of these groups I am Stellar and Grammy nominated) and do recording sessions and live concerts.

However this is not a very lucrative career, especially starting out, so I have a couple other irons in the fire. I work part time for (3) ceiling fan websites, and sell various items on eBay and Craigslist.

I've been on tour and at conferences most of the summer so I've fallen behind on all the non-music related things

I post my current resume and video clips on

www.myspace.com/dspiffy

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Throw the hideous shoes away whilst you are at it.

Nope
smile.gif
Although I did recently buy some plainer shoes from Aldo that I love and have been wearing a lot:

5855_250695840703_696075703_8267485_4189146_n.jpg

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
if you like it more power too ya! seriously wear it in pride!

but i don't know why but a tie reminds me of.... GIFT WRAPPING PAPER

Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Which tie?

this one is the one that reminds me of gift wrapping paper. still if you really feel good in it then it must make you confident/perform even better.

we have a pediatrician who wears outlandish stuff in my hospital (tie died lab gowns and super large bow ties) he's well respected and pulls in tons of patients.

pony1.jpg

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
That's great, but it may be more cost effective to buy new. And it may be wiser to go slowly, one piece at a time. If you just have all your suits altered at once, you will probably be very disappointed in a year or two and have wasted a lot of time and money.

So I suggest getting one good, new (new to you at least. Nothing against thrift stores, eBay or B&S) suit in the next month or two. Wearing it a bit. Getting feedback on it, and then moving on to your second purchase.

Maybe. If there's a SF member in my area (or an area I travel to) who would like to provide a personal opinion of what off the rack size I should be buying, I am open to that. However all of the tailors (and stores) I have been going to say I am between a 42 and 44L and that is what I have been buying. The problem is I am broad shouldered, narrow waist, and even narrower chest. The batch of suits I took in so far required no alterations to the shoulders, you guys would probably like the sleeves shorter but I am fine with them, and the chest and (jacket) waist to be taken in ~2". Pants waist is fine with the 42's, could stand to be taken in with the 44's, for now I am using a belt.

I think it's likely I am just one of those guys that most off the rack suits need a little tailoring. Maybe I'm wrong, but with a $20-50 investment most of those I already own look a world better, so why not?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by giovanni8807
wow...learn how to tie a tie and lose the plastic shoes... and this is coming from a sicilian... the rest of it is ok if you can get the sizes down right...

Thanks, but I love my large ties and plastic shoes . . . I am toning them down sometimes, thanks in large part to you guys, but I am still keeping them! For the moment . . .

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Very good advice, Spiff. If you are serious, slowly change your wardrobe. Your tastes are evolving, you see what you like, but now you have to figure out what works for you, and what your true measurements are (chest, shoulders, sleeve length, inseam, etc). Most of what you have now is not easily altered into what you see on SF.
I'll be glad to send you a couple bucks. You are one of the most pleasant people I have ever met on the interwebz and, despite the haters, I think most of us think you bring a unique perspective which we don't really understand, but results in variety and fun. I really do have mixed feelings about us influencing your look.

Dont worry, I will not allow myself to be swayed as to my true identity, fashion or otherwise!

Thanks for being one of the first to donate!

You guys would like this suit I was just given, it's 100% wool, standard length, form fitting with vest. Only problem is it's 4 buttons. I've never really liked 4 buttons, even though I own a few.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy

Is that tie knot actually the size of a grapefruit or are you wearing a strange scarf.

In the picture where we are loading the amps into the car? I am wearing two ties tied together.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
this one is the one that reminds me of gift wrapping paper. still if you really feel good in it then it must make you confident/perform even better.

we have a pediatrician who wears outlandish stuff in my hospital (tie died lab gowns and super large bow ties) he's well respected and pulls in tons of patients.

That's a pretty basic tie to me. Just diagonal stripes. I dont wear it much, I prefer Paisley.

dzang

Reaction score
I have seen an overall improvement from the beginning pics to the current ones though I am still not a fan of your style. But it doesn't matter why I or anyone else thinks if u like the way you dress or a componet of it don't change it. Ur the one wearing the clothes...do what makes u happy.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am. I am Minister of Music for two churches on Sundays, freelance for several other churches, travel with many recognised gospel artists and groups (as part of these groups I am Stellar and Grammy nominated) and do recording sessions and live concerts.

However this is not a very lucrative career, especially starting out, so I have a couple other irons in the fire. I work part time for (3) ceiling fan websites, and sell various items on eBay and Craigslist.

I've been on tour and at conferences most of the summer so I've fallen behind on all the non-music related things

I post my current resume and video clips on

www.myspace.com/dspiffy

Your style indicates urban Baptist?
nod[1].gif

Much love for the video!!!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been MIA most of July and August. My daughter visited for 2 weeks, and since then I am on the road. I have a lot of catching up to do, with posts, pictures, and things I am selling.

UPDATES . . .

So I have decided to get all of my clothes cut down to size, starting with the suits. This forum has taught me that you certainly do look better when there is no extra fabric. Most of the jackets fit me in the shoulders but are too bulky in the chest and/or waist. I am starting with those that are already close, i.e. the two suits posted somewhere in this thread that were already an improvement.

I have already taken in all of my 2 button suits, this alone will cost me more than an entire paycheck. SO I am accepting donations. I am totally serious. There have been enough people in this thread invested in my clothes fitting better, if everyone sends $5 or $10 (or more) I may be able to repair my entire wardrobe.

Paypal is [email protected] for personal, [email protected] for business (credit/debit card), or you can mail check/cash/money order to

Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman
4334 Waite Circle
Madison, WI 53711-2844

I will probably post this as it's own thread to be sure it is seen.

Plenty of before and after pictures to come!

What is your correct SF approved size for shoes and clothing?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Your style indicates urban Baptist?
nod[1].gif

Much love for the video!!!

The two churches I am on staff at, one is Church of God in Christ (Pentecostal) and the other is Word of Faith. Both are predominantly black churches. Personally I am non-denominational. I was raised part COGIC, part Lutheran.

Which video?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
What is your correct SF approved size for shoes and clothing?

Um, probably 42L and 11D. 40's USUALLY cant button at all, depending on the shoe I range from 10-12 so 11 is a safe bet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads