• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wow.

JohnD356

Reaction score
I love that knot. Makes me long for the NFL season to begin. Michael Irving has nothing on you.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say that is a tremendous improvement. The 3pc suit looks nice (although we can't judge fit from the closeup), the pocket square, tie and shirt all seem to work together. I guess the tie knot is just going to be your signature look.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He needs to be ballered or foofed or whoever is doing it now.

davidmross

Reaction score
This is a lovely look if you are:

1. One of my uncles
2. At my house for Christmas
3. And it is 1978

Seriously though. The suit is an improvement from the original postings but it needs tailoring (as you've indicated) and you need to invest in proper ties that have a reasonable knot size. Then you will stop looking like a buffoon.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoulders look right, i like the pattern also.

It makes you look a bit round in the center, might opt for some tailoring. Is it possible that styleforum as a whole could simply paypal you enough money to tie a FIH knot? eh?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

It makes you look a bit round in the center, might opt for some tailoring.

That was the first thing I noticed (excluding the tie) - makes the OP look quite pear shaped.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. You said that the shoulder is 1 inch too small and the waist is 1 inch too big. If you don't want to have it altered, you should keep it buttoned.
2. The patterns of your tie and your shirt are too similar try different shirt (solid or thick stripes)

jhao

Reaction score
I believe that in comparation with your previous outfits, this is an improvement.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
The shoulders look right, i like the pattern also.

It makes you look a bit round in the center, might opt for some tailoring. Is it possible that styleforum as a whole could simply paypal you enough money to tie a FIH knot? eh?

As mentioned above, I do plan to post an actual serious thread asking for fit advice. I'll post a more normal-tied tie in that thead. PayPal is still welcome
smile.gif

As a rule, I tie my ties so the tip of the tie is directly beneath the top closing button of the suit/vest. Only thing I dont like about this is if I am wearing a 2 piece suit, I cant open the jacket.

I believe these shoulders to be too small, the pads barely/dont quite come to the edges of my shoulder blades. They feel tight.

I dont know if this suit is worth getting tailored. I paid $8 for it, getting the waist taken in would be at least $20. I have several other suits I'd rather invest the $20 in.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
Please please please burn that tie/pocketsquare set.

Don't stop there.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
spiffy, what size suit/pants/shoes are you?

Technically I think I am a 43L. Most of what you see in these pictures are 44L. 42L works if it is full cut. I can take some actual measurements of me if you tell me what and how to measure.

Going from memory, pants are 36"/37" waist, 31"/32" inseam. I'll double check this.

Shirts 17-17.5 34/35 I can get away with 16.5 but I usually leave it unbuttoned.

Shoes usually 11, however the ones in my closet range from 10 to 12 depending on how they are made. I can usually get away with 10.5 but 10 is way too tight in MOST brands.

In ties I am an extra large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads