• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

Nexus6

Reaction score
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
'It left me Shaken -AND- Stirred'. 'A most edifying experience.' 'The most innovative outfits since Pee Wee's Big Adventure!' 'A Triumph'. 'Spiffabulous!.' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------- Coming Soon To A Theatre Near You ---------- Spiffy Productions Presents ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ " The Man Who Wore REALLY L O N G JACKETS " ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Starring, Produced & Directed by Spiffy - Music By Spiffy - Washing & Ironing By Spiffy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
Spiff......... Thanks for sharing & being a good sport, and I mean that sincerely, and I am sure I speak for everyone.
wink.gif
I think some here were too hard on you. At least you're tryin! Its your own style, and I am sure we ALL respect that. Have you a Fedora? It would be a great addition to your wardrobe, if you don't already have one. I liked the first suit (rust color) and the shoes. If only the jacket had been 2 buttons instead of 4, but with a hat, it may work better. Don't stop! and best of luck.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Look on the last couple pages, rather than the photos that were posted when the thread was first created. I posted several pictures in various black pinstripe suits that are the correct size.

Indeed, they are looking better, but. I'm assuming that buttoning the top button is your way of doing the jacket, and that it's not ignorance of the standard procedure, right? That's part of the reason that they're looking to be so huge. Ever thought of going the way of a two button? Also, if the should fits right, have you tried a regular in those suits?

For the jeans- you could keep them and have them fit those shoes a good deal better if they would be hemmed to a short break. It would keep the thighs from flaring out so much.

One other thing that I didn't quite find an answer to. Is your choice to shop at thrift stores limiting your ability to find fitted clothes, or is it simply personal taste?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spiffy,You're legend....I do love your confidence and your masochist penchant..
If you do really some serious advice , do have a look to some of the posts ..
Let's be honest , at the moment you're in sartorial death row..
I do think that you're taking the piss or your friends are very cruel.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Have you a Fedora?
It would be a great addition to your wardrobe,
if you don't already have one.
I liked the first suit (rust color) and the shoes.
If only the jacket had been 2 buttons instead of 4,
but with a hat, it may work better.

Don't stop!
and best of luck.

I have a black fur homburg and a tan felt homburg I wear with matching topcoats in the winter. I have a few other hats I am retiring and will probably sell.

Not crazy about 4 button suits, in fact I never liked them even when I liked 5+ buttons. 3 looks more natural. But I like other things about the suit, so I'm not going to rule it out based on one button. I still have a few suits with 4+ buttons, the majority are 2 or 3.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Indeed, they are looking better, but. I'm assuming that buttoning the top button is your way of doing the jacket, and that it's not ignorance of the standard procedure, right?

A variety of reasons. One being the large tie knot, also buttoning just the top button appears to be a trend, I've even heard it mentioned on these forums as fashion forward. Regardless, I've started tying my ties to go to the second button on 3 button suits, and buttoning the second button only. I do like the look better.

That's part of the reason that they're looking to be so huge. Ever thought of going the way of a two button?

The two black pinstripe suits on recent pages-- the lavender pinstripes with the ticket pocket, and the white pinstripes-- are both 2 button, with the top button only buttoned.

Also, if the should fits right, have you tried a regular in those suits?

My tailor tells me a regular is too short. They look short to me as well. I am 6'2 and my sleeves are 34/35. I have a regular in the ticket pocket suit pictured, accidentally sent to me by the seller. I could try it on and post pictures. I think the tan suit looks too long because it is a longer, more "urban" style.

For the jeans- you could keep them and have them fit those shoes a good deal better if they would be hemmed to a short break. It would keep the thighs from flaring out so much.

I prefer a full break in my pants. Also, these style of jeans are supposed to bunch up at the ankles, and not show any socks when you sit. Some are longer than others. Basically, if they touch the ground, they're too long, otherwise they're ok.

One other thing that I didn't quite find an answer to. Is your choice to shop at thrift stores limiting your ability to find fitted clothes, or is it simply personal taste?

I was a lot less picky about size before being reamed on these forums. I would grab anything I liked if it even remotely fit me. A better eye and a fuller closet, I can afford to be more picky.

3orangewhips

Reaction score
This thread is an excellent example of the hypocricy inherent in the system. If this gentlemen came here asking for opinions about tie colors (which reminds me I need to start a thread), he'd either get Flusser quoted at him or told to "dress for himself." And yet, here is a person doing just that, and he is crucified for his tastes.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont give me that flusser crap. Menswear is, fortunately or unfortunately, based around a set of rules. Sometimes breaking these rules can look fantastic, sometimes you get this.

Obviously anyone can wear whatever they want, it doesnt mean it looks good. That defeats the entire point of this board.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Dont give me that flusser crap. Menswear is, fortunately or unfortunately, based around a set of rules. Sometimes breaking these rules can look fantastic, sometimes you get this.

Obviously anyone can wear whatever they want, it doesnt mean it looks good. That defeats the entire point of this board.

I agree completely.

You can dress however you want, but when you come to a style forum and ask for people's opinon, they're gonna give it to you. If you don't care, don't post.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the great thing about spiffy is that he has a great attitude/thick skin. Yes, he posted and should put up with the criticisms but some are ridiculously harsh and I know for a fact some of these same people would get sand in their ******'s if the tables were turned. Secondly, spiff has his look and he sticks with it. I do not like it nor would I wear it but at least he is not being some navy suit/white shirt/animal tie/black loafers robot. Lastly, spiffy has showed more class in this thread than many of the well dressed experts that have posted.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he obviously does it for a reaction and he gets it. Its the same idea as SoCal, only far worse, he only posts because he knows everyone will hate it... its the point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads