• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Shoe Trees Important

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many problems with this experiment.

No blinding. Not even single blinding. Small number in sample. Is a pair of shoes N=1 or N=2?

The shoes may have had different levels of lanolin in each shoe this either increasing or decreasing the shoes ability to take up, absorb, water.

Did you weigh each shoe to determine if each shoe had taken up the same amount of water and had returned to the same weight afterwards in the same time? What was the Instrument used to measure time to dry?

Was the shoe tree weighed before and after to determine if it had actually taken up any, some or all of the water, alleged to be absorbed by the shoe leather?

The only conclusion that can be reasonably drawn from this less than optimal experiment is that shoe trees would appear to make no appreciable difference to measured sole/ toe curl in a single experiment comprised of dipping second hand shoes in water.

Certainly not acceptable in any refereed journal on mens clothing or footwear that I edit.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No blinding. Not even single blinding. Small number in sample. Is a pair of shoes N=1 or N=2?
The shoes may have had different levels of lanolin in each shoe this either increasing or decreasing the shoes ability to take up, absorb, water.
Did you weigh each shoe to determine if each shoe had taken up the same amount of water and had returned to the same weight afterwards in the same time? What was the Instrument used to measure time to dry?
Was the shoe tree weighed before and after to determine if it had actually taken up any, some or all of the water, alleged to be absorbed by the shoe leather?
The only conclusion that can be reasonably drawn from this less than optimal experiment is that shoe trees would appear to make no appreciable difference to measured sole/ toe curl in a single experiment comprised of dipping second hand shoes in water.
Certainly not acceptable in any refereed journal on mens clothing or footwear that I edit.

:facepalm:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So according to a couple of high-end shoe makers here in NY - don't use them unless they are built to the correct last - their argument being that they will stretch your shoes out in funny ways in they aren't shaped correctly.

They suggested stuffing them with socks or something to preserve the shape but be somewhat shape conforming...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just came across this thread. Any recommendations for decent cheap shoetrees?

There was once a member named Vox who gave the most absurd answer to this question. Though it was frightfully appaling to many it was also deliciously hilarious. I dare not repeat it.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll bet you get invited to all the New Year's Eve parties, right?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There was once a member named Vox who gave the most absurd answer to this question. Though it was frightfully appaling to many it was also deliciously hilarious. I dare not repeat it.

Senior member Ferdinand Corbera has duggen it up. I believe the term used was ""turducken" trees" which appears in this very thread.

Last edited:

atlrus

Reaction score
So according to a couple of high-end shoe makers here in NY - don't use them unless they are built to the correct last - their argument being that they will stretch your shoes out in funny ways in they aren't shaped correctly.
They suggested stuffing them with socks or something to preserve the shape but be somewhat shape conforming...

I agree with this, it makes perfect sense.

I personally never had problems with too much moisture or the shoes "collapsing" from just sitting on the shoe rack (I have a cheap pair of Dockers bought 6-7 years ago and they still look just fine), but if I had to use anything I would simply stuff the shoes with newspaper. Much greater and faster moisture absorbance than a piece of wood and will add uniform pressure throughout the shoe.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this, it makes perfect sense.

I personally never had problems with too much moisture or the shoes "collapsing" from just sitting on the shoe rack (I have a cheap pair of Dockers bought 6-7 years ago and they still look just fine), but if I had to use anything I would simply stuff the shoes with newspaper. Much greater and faster moisture absorbance than a piece of wood and will add uniform pressure throughout the shoe.

WHY DO YOU HATE SHOE TREES SO MUCH?????

atlrus

Reaction score
WHY DO YOU HATE SHOE TREES SO MUCH?????

lol, I don't really hate shoe trees. The day I start having strong feelings toward something like shoe trees would be the day I commit myself.

I just think they fail to deliver what some people claim:
1. Unless they are made from balsa wood, moisture absorption would be very minimal and slow.
2. Unless they were custom made to fit your shoe precisely - I don't see how they would help retain the original shape of the shoe. They should look like this:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally never had problems with too much moisture or the shoes "collapsing" from just sitting on the shoe rack (I have a cheap pair of Dockers bought 6-7 years ago and they still look just fine)
You wear Dockers, therefore your opinion is null and void.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who are the high end makers?!??!! NAMES!

You wear Dockers, therefore your opinion is null and void.

+100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads