• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Shoe Trees Important

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I completely agree with apropos and RDiaz, cheap generic shoe trees do more harm than good. 

it's the shape and not the prize of the trees. btw, i never found apropos comments helpful, anyway.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Significant in that after some period of time, a pair of shoes using lasted shoe trees will look better than a pair of shoes not using lasted shoe trees.

i don't think so. trees should have a good fit, though.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I managed to get a couple of pairs of shoe trees in spite of my deepest convictions otherwise. They all managed to fit quite snugly into my shoes with the exception of one. Even though I bought different types (all cedar though) They couldn't quite fit into my Magnannis. The toe end seemed to be under high stress as it has quite a slim profile compared to my other shoes. I completely agree with apropos and RDiaz, cheap generic shoe trees do more harm than good. 

...mind pointing out where I said that? Don't lump me in with your small minded and completely wrong agenda.

I completely agree with apropos and RDiaz, cheap generic shoe trees do more harm than good. 

it's the shape and not the prize of the trees. btw, i never found apropos comments helpful, anyway.

Jeez louise, where did that come from? Did you even read my post?? :(

Last edited:

Butler

Reaction score

It seems to me that the perfect way to store clothes and shoes would be to have multitude of mannequins...
billrb.jpg

...exactly in one's size and dimensions. So, you know, you take off your clothes and shoes, and put them on the mannequin, on which they retain perfect shape.
Someone unfamiliar with Qin Shi Huang will probably say something like, "Oh, that would take too much terracotta, blah blah blah," but it can be done. Failing that, if space is a factor, why not just the feet? For such feet would be smaller in outline than the shoes, and so, take up no more space.
:confused:

:cheers:

MrTKN

Reaction score
My sincere apologies for that. I inadvertantly misquoted you since you had quoted RDiaz in reply to his comment. The sun was in my eyes and I was walking against the wind...made it really hard for me to see

...mind pointing out where I said that? Don't lump me in with your small minded and completely wrong agenda.
Jeez louise, where did that come from? Did you even read my post??
frown.gif

When in fact what you has said was;

AFAIK, Carmina's shoe trees are not lasted, which makes them a poor value at €60 IMO.

Which I completely agree with by the way...
fing02[1].gif
?

MrTKN

Reaction score
My sincere apologies for misquoting you. It was inadvertant and due to a temporary lapse in concentration. I had in fact read your post and I do agree with what you said

Quote:
shog[1].gif

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not lasted, that's true, and yes they are expensive for what they are... but they fit much better than generic shoe trees I've tried. Still, you should get lasted trees if possible, or if you get generic ones, try as many as possible until you find something that really fits. Now that could be tricky, as I have a pair of Magnannis I bought some trees for that seemed to fit really well, yet after some time I noticed they were creasing the sides of the shoe in a very strange way...

AFAIK, Carmina's shoe trees are not lasted, which makes them a poor value at €60 IMO.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't get this thread.

If you feel strongly that shoe trees don't work, don't use them.

How hard is this?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For ready-to-wear (RTW) shoes, it is entirely reasonable to buy a second pair of the same model, but one size smaller, and then stuff the smaller pair into the larger for a perfect fit. In every dimension, the smaller pair is a perfect smaller simulation of the larger...and where it's not, wetting, hammering, folding, and otherwise forcing the smaller pair into your precious shoes works (reference: Iroh's Guides
2122.png
, Fall 2008 issue.)

Such "turducken" trees are relatively common in the Southeastern United States ("rebel" or "reb" states.)

IRL (in real life) I am asked every day, "What is the purpose of Allen-Edmonds seconds?"

I answer not in words, but with my eyes, rolling them back in my head, like the "smiley" that this web site has.

Perhaps you've seen that "smiley."

Last edited:

brokentelephone

Reaction score

For ready-to-wear (RTW) shoes, it is entirely reasonable to buy a second pair of the same model, but one size smaller, and then stuff the smaller pair into the larger for a perfect fit. In every dimension, the smaller pair is a perfect smaller simulation of the larger...and where it's not, wetting, hammering, folding, and otherwise forcing the smaller pair into your precious shoes works (reference: Iroh's Guides
2122.png
, Fall 2008 issue.)
Such "turducken" trees are relatively common in the Southeastern United States ("rebel" or "reb" states.)
IRL (in real life) I am asked every day, "What is the purpose of Allen-Edmonds seconds?"
I answer not in words, but with my eyes, rolling them back in my head, like the "smiley" that this web site has.
Perhaps you've seen that "smiley."

Funny post!

I am pretty anal about things like shoe trees, and try to get lasted whenever possible. That said, I am not sure there is any additional benefit at all because the main point is to smooth out wrinkles and keep the soles flat, and non-lasted trees seem to do the exact same thing. I found myself getting a bit OCD about dumb shoe **** after I started reading online a few years back. My Dad has a closet filled with a lifetime of nice shoes and he uses old plastic or metal shoe trees, and most of them still look great.

Shoe trees are heavy ****.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member