• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
me when i realize my investments are in GYW shoes

maxresdefault.jpeg

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Later, I found out that my impressions were wildly off base, as the leather showed its true colours after only moderate wear. I can't really blame Archibald here, though, because Archibald did not guarantee amazing leather quality.
They stated several times, that leather they use is the highest grade leather, used only in bespoke shoemaking.

Look, I don't think you're a bad person because of this or anything. I'm saying this is the natural danger of allowing people on this forum to get freebies in exchange for reviews. A couple of other people here have done the same. I think it's a bad thing to have happen on this board. If people want things to be reviewed, they should send the items to a tailor or cobbler, and have that person do a teardown. People who have direct experience with the product (paying customers) can also chime in with their experiences.

While I agree that "freebies" usually will lead to review that is not objective, I think that majority of people who paid a considerable amount of money for the product will also be biased and will try to speak well of the product, just to justify their purchase and not feel like they suffered a loss. In general I find majority of forum reviews (freebies or not) useless.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I agree that "freebies" usually will lead to review that is not objective, I think that majority of people who paid a considerable amount of money for the product will also be biased and will try to speak well of the product, just to justify their purchase and not feel like they suffered a loss. In general I find majority of forum reviews (freebies or not) useless.

I agree with this. I think this is especially true of certain items. The higher up you go on the price scale, the more likely people are coming here just to brag or flex. People in the EG thread are mostly just putting themselves on the back for their purchaess. People in the Meemin thread freak out over every little scuff on shoes they will eventually drag on the ground.

I think JefferyD put it well a few years ago when he said bespoke customers come here to brag. Indochino customers come here to find out if their suit fits.

Personally don't care for "review culture." I don't really get the obsession with this kind of analytical framework for fashion. Would rather hear stories. Also perfectly fine with people just getting excited about things. Or people sharing ideas on how to wear things. But this analytical breakdown about construction quality often leaves me cold.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They stated several times, that leather they use is the highest grade leather, used only in bespoke shoemaking.

A general claim is not falsified with one instance to the contrary.

For all I know, my leather was just a luck of the draw situation. If it was continuously bad quality, then I suspect the problem is serious, but until then what can I judge this on?

Even people who buy John Lobb and Edward Green regularly are eventually going to find a pair that will not meet their exacting standards of leather quality. Does this mean that these companies use bad leather in the main? No, as every calf is different, and as a result, there is an expectation that not all quality will be the same.

I can't say definitely that Archibald of London uses bad leather because my shoes look like **** after being worn once.

Verrihappy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Amazing how a free pair of tacky, crappy shoes can cloud and colour the judgment and reasoning of a sane person.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing what a free pair of crappy shoes can cloud and colour the judgment and reasoning of a sane person.

giphy.gif

Would you like to point out the flaw in reasoning or are you going to hide behind what you believe counts as wit?

I think I've been up front about getting fooled. What am I saying that is inaccurate right now?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A general claim is not falsified with one instance to the contrary.

For all I know, my leather was just a luck of the draw situation. If it was continuously bad quality, then I suspect the problem is serious, but until then what can I judge this on?

Even people who buy John Lobb and Edward Green regularly are eventually going to find a pair that will not meet their exacting standards of leather quality. Does this mean that these companies use bad leather in the main? No, as every calf is different, and as a result, there is an expectation that not all quality will be the same.

I can't say definitely that Archibald of London uses bad leather because my shoes look like **** after being worn once.
Then how can you recommend their shoes based on your sample? Maybe your pair was awesome just by luck?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think a lot of the time people probably just decide not to talk about it rather than write bad review too.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s fine. She knows she married a weirdo. I got way stranger looks pulling a shoe apart in our den.

well my wife’s point would be more in the “if you got time why aren’t you teaching the soon to be 4 years old some math...”

though I did got the shivering in my back when I was shining my shoe last time and my daughter start counting how many shoes there are (and she counts each not a pair, was just about to report to mommy before I make sure I get her to adjust to count a pair)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then how can you recommend their shoes based on your sample? Maybe your pair was awesome just by luck?

Generally there are distinctions between things like craftsmanship that are common across most instances.

I'll say this: the fact the leather turned to **** in an hour is bad. (Obviously)

I just can't say "Archibald of London only uses bad leather" as this could be aberrant. Just as sometimes there is just a botched shoe.

If everyone is experiencing this, that would be bad.

Archibald said they'd accept a shoe like mine to be sent back and I'd do so. The question is would I get better? Not sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads