• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancient shoes

TheBatman

Reaction score
I have come to a new understanding of HRH in recent years. And i am in total agreement with you about the nouveau rich. Sadly it has filtered into the rest of society as well. New is not always better, and money alone does not buy style. One day at work i realized that the boots i was wearing were older than the new guy who had just joined our department.

You might enjoy this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-makings-of-a-patchwork-Prince-of-Wales.html

That was an enthralling article. Thanks for sharing! And it certainly seems to bolster the point doesn't it?

I may have to get me a John Partridge jacket now!

M.Photog

Reaction score
That was an enthralling article. Thanks for sharing! And it certainly seems to bolster the point doesn't it?

I may have to get me a John Partridge jacket now!

I thought you might like that. At 57 I am tired of our through away world. I have always tried to make things last but as time goes buy it is becoming a way of life.

TheBatman

Reaction score
I thought you might like that. At 57 I am tired of our through away world. I have always tried to make things last but as time goes buy it is becoming a way of life.

I'm 29 and feel the same. However, I have always had a penchant for items of quality. I can remember, even as a kid, being fascinated by antique tables, suits, leather goods, etc. Perhaps it's more of a personality quirk that some of us have? As you said, "I have always..." which would suggest this is a longstanding trait of yours. SF is certainly a biased sample, but we certainly aren't the only people in the world who value quality and longevity.

I don't know if I can completely explain the reasons for why it is so, but well used and cared for items of quality have an appeal that cannot be faked. Shoes are just one example.

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Here's an interesting photo of Charles's shoes in summer 2017.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Here's Charles's shoes being held by one of his security detail while he was inside Haji Ali Dargah, 2017.

indianshaft

Reaction score
This thread was great and refreshing, I have the same mindset as HRH in that I don't want to buy any new clothes or shoes for awhile and just wear them until they have some unmistakeable character to them. Investing in some more expensive but timeless pieces seems to make more sense in the long term.

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Here's a good view of the tops and soles of Harry's shoes (click for large image).

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Prince Charles shoes...

article-2551521-1B317A2500000578-778_472x423.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a few minutes and read through this whole thread. I guess my take is that all the shoes on the first page look like ****. I am all for getting good life and wear out of things, but those shoes haven't been well cared for and it shows. I wanted to reach through my screen to strip off all that wax and put about 10 coats of conditioner of those shoes.

I have shoes that are 10 years old that look basically new and they are worn regularly. They have some patina and the colors certainly have changed, but they don't look like they got put in a sack full of rocks and thrown down a hill. Shabby isn't an aspiration. Its what happens despite our best efforts, and clearly best efforts are not at work here.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtips:

That is a nice photo Wes ... the leather seems similar to the russian reindeer leather with cross-hatching. It makes a for a nice effect on the brogued pair.

Yes it is russian reindeer ordered from cleverley many many year ago.
News article about it exist somewhere on internet.
Me read about it long long time ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads