• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancient shoes

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one that was being refurbished at Foster & Sons.
standard.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Anyone notice how low those heels are?

Yes, that was actually what caught my eye even more than the patching. How tall is Charles anyway; must be about 5'10" at least. I guess lower heels are OK for his height.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
However, I have noticed an interesting thing. I have an old Barbour jacket which I wore most days this past winter. It is showing its age, in terms of patina, shall we say, and has a few small holes here and there. People stop me and ask about it. One of them, a stranger, said that at the Barbour shop on Madison avenue they sell vintage ones just like mine for more than the price of a new one. So... maybe we are entering a new era where the appreciation of good things that are kept and worn to shreds will return. As for my oldest shoes... I'm not throwing them away.
If you really think about it we are entering an age of conscious self-reference, where nearly all that is current or fresh has already happened before, all driven by a fruitless search for authenticity in a mass-produced age that can apparently be best accomplished by wearing another man's clothes, by telling another man's story.

It's downright depressing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
If you really think about it we are entering an age of conscious self-reference, where nearly all that is current or fresh has already happened before, all driven by a fruitless search for authenticity in a mass-produced age that can apparently be best accomplished by wearing another man's clothes, by telling another man's story.

Are you talking about wearing preowned/second hand clothing?

well-kept

Reaction score

So you don't want to make an offer on my old jacket??? It's okay, not for sale. I get attached to the things that have accompanied me on my journey, most of them full of experience and showing it.

But what's a 19-year-old to do, except inherit or buy vintage? As to new jeans with new holes in them, pre-faded and pre-whiskered, if that's the sort of thing you mean... not exactly depressing, but there ain't nothin' like the real thing.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
At 40 years old those shoes are surely representing a damn good value over time!

I wonder if it's a British thing?

I think there's something to that. I recall reading an article several years ago in which Ralph Lauren cited the British tradition of wearing/reusing old clothing. For example, how a tweed sport coat might be passed along from father to son. I can't seem to dig up that article though.

Several days ago, I read this article on the "Boston cracked shoe" look: http://www.ivy-style.com/adlai-steve...cked-shoe.html

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmpf-- and here I am fretting about some cracks in my very first bespoke Cleverleys-- from 1997 and 2000. (Apartment central heating, pre-Renovateur.)

Much as I wouldn't totally mind dressing like Chuck, I may still order replacements over the next year or so.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I think we all have items that are worn past their actual capacity, but we love them nonetheless, and love them because of how they are.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesecondprize
I think there's something to that. I recall reading an article several years ago in which Ralph Lauren cited the British tradition of wearing/reusing old clothing. For example, how a tweed sport coat might be passed along from father to son. I can't seem to dig up that article though.

Several days ago, I read this article on the "Boston cracked shoe" look: http://www.ivy-style.com/adlai-steve...cked-shoe.html

Charles has dug out a couple tweed jackets worn by George VI. I suspect there really is something to that.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Hmmpf-- and here I am fretting about some cracks in my very first bespoke Cleverleys-- from 1997 and 2000. (Apartment central heating, pre-Renovateur.)

is renovateur really the magic thing?

from my very own pairs since 94, no renovateur, only one cracked slightly. lucky i am, i guess.

btw, did you find the trees?

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
What do you mean, 'low'? They look just about right.

I never understood why some makers use high heels. G&G shoe specifically have high canted heels for RTW as well as bespoke.

It seems half the posters here are under 5'7", they love high heels

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and of course it precludes those who do so out of necessity. I'm talking about those who actively seek it out because it is 'cool' or whatever.
Hardly new. 1980s saw this. The 70s did I guess the 60s did. The 50s saw this for sure. The cool shops have been selling stuff like this forever. Before the shops did people shopped in their fathers closet .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads