• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I screwed? Career crisis...at 24.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People love to snicker that those who work hard and make decent money can't really be happy. But then when someone admits that money isn't everything, he gets derided for it?
In any case, I like making money but I don't want to do it in my specific job function. I like thinking creatively and having an opinion, neither of which matters much when you're working in sell-side investment banking. I'd much rather take a 50% pay cut to have the type of the job where someone gives me a company and tells me to come back in three weeks with an opinion of whether or not they should buy it.
Yeah, I'm in a great situation -- right now. I just don't want to be a salesperson for the rest of my life, which is essentially what an investment banker is. The problem is that my current group's focus is too narrow to help me get the jobs I want. I want to really dig into companies, learn what makes them tick, and then bet that I'm right. I don't want to push paper around.

I'm also curious why your girlfriend can't move here. You would lose a job by moving. What would she lose?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm in a great situation -- right now. I just don't want to be a salesperson for the rest of my life, which is essentially what an investment banker is. The problem is that my current group's focus is too narrow to help me get the jobs I want. I want to really dig into companies, learn what makes them tick, and then bet that I'm right. I don't want to push paper around.

This is what every investment banking analyst says. But the truth is, you will "push paper" in pretty much any other finance job. And whether you are on the sell-side or buy-side, you are in the business of client service--so, in either case, you must become a good salesman at the most senior levels.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you start your own Company, nobody starts their career by "calling the shots". You put your dues in and get there if you are good.

On the flip side, are you OK with working at a Company where every new grad hired is given cart blanch authority make the calls and bet on what they believe is "right"?

RedLeg

Reaction score
You sound like you work in a FIG group and are upset that PE funds don't recruit FIG analysts (unless youre at GS). If that's the case, or something similiar, try making the switch to.a different group within your bank and do a third year.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm also curious why your girlfriend can't move here. You would lose a job by moving. What would she lose?

Work visas? The OP sounds like he is either canadian or has worked there before (and its probably easier to get permission to work in canada) but his girlfriend is probably canadian with no real ties to the US.

Don't you still need a visa to move to and work in the US, even if you are coming from Canasa? It sure doesn't sound like he's going to marry her so she's not going to get in on a green card. I have several friends who went to school here and ended up having visa troubles when their student visas expired. Some found jobs that could let them stay in the US (particuraily working for universities since they don't have the same visa quotas as normal businesses) but others ended up having to leave the country since if you were trying to work at a bank in 2009, there were plenty of qualified applicants who didn't need visa sponsorship.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the humble brag here. This reminds me of greenfrog (who has improved much after his initial splash I must say) a few months back and JV too. :embar:

Can you tell me more about your cable package and bar tabs?

Last edited:

leftover_salmon

Reaction score

Unless you start your own Company, nobody starts their career by "calling the shots".  You put your dues in and get there if you are good.  

On the flip side, are you OK with working at a Company where every new grad hired is given cart blanch authority make the calls and bet on what they believe is "right"?

But it doesn't get better. It's pretty pathetic -- and depressing -- right now watching a bunch of 50-year old managing directors panicking and travelling cross-country four days a week pandering to clients just to justify their existence.

I like the humble brag here. This reminds me of greenfrog (who has improved much after his initial splash I must say) a few months back and JV too. :embar:
Can you tell me more about your cable package and bar tabs?

I didn't think I was bragging at all that I can pay a cable bill with no problem. My assumption was that most people on a forum about high-end clothes can, too. In fact, I thought I was mentioning a couple things that were downright mundane to most people who earn a decent living. (I'm not popping bottles of Cristal, I'm going to some dank bar for some good beers.) My point was I wouldn't even be able to do *that* much if I took a major pay cut.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's pretty pathetic -- and depressing -- right now watching a bunch of 50-year old managing directors panicking and travelling cross-country four days a week pandering to clients just to justify their existence.

Why is it pathetic that these 50 year olds choose to work when it's pretty clear they have enough in the bank not to work?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But it doesn't get better. It's pretty pathetic -- and depressing -- right now watching a bunch of 50-year old managing directors panicking and travelling cross-country four days a week pandering to clients just to justify their existence.

What job do you think will free you from serving clients or customers? Honestly, now you just sound like a kid drowning in his own naivete and arrogance. Your ego has grown ahead of your sense. Again, typical of analysts.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What job do you think will free you from serving clients or customers? (...)

I was chatting with a small-biz owner one day, and I asked him how it felt to call the shots, be the boss. He chuckled and told me he has a thousand bosses, and they call the shots. They're his customers. The good news is that he's still in business, 15 years later.

Last edited:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's tough to realize how "exceptional" your opportunity is when you're getting paid surprisingly little (in terms of salary for hours worked) to log 90 hour work weeks changing font sizes and heading colors in a pitch book no one will read. The guy slinging fries at Burger King probably does more creative thinking at his job than the average IB analyst.
Investment banking analyst is, bar none, one of the worst and least challenging jobs a young person can do. It is a great opportunity if you use is as a springboard to other paths (i.e. corporate finance, MBA, etc.) but no one should be surprised when these kids start losing steam a year in to the IB adventure.

I'd cut off one of my legs in order to bank $150k/yr for playing around with documents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads