• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I screwed? Career crisis...at 24.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Sorry I really don't think you did. He is being laid off because he told his company he wanted to leave.

why would they do that?
they would have to pay unemployment, severance package, cobra, etc.
if someone resigns, and you lay them off so they can collect and that is illegal
why would a firm handle a 23 year old with 2 years of experience like that?
it's either quit or work...and they begin looking for your replacement, as soon as he is found, you are gone
it's not like the job that requires experience (he was hired out of college and his educational field of study) nor does it require much training, or that he is the only one that can provide said training

companies don't lay you off upon request, not if you are meeting expectations, and why incur the cost of training the replacement?
if he is being laid off, it is not his choice, it is the companies decision
why would they incur cost to handle someone who is quitting?

what 23 year old making 150k quits a job without another? or quits it period?
he may couch this as his choice but all logic dictates it is not...if his choice you quit, if his firms, they lay you off (or fire you)

think about it

Last edited:

barkingloud78

Reaction score
Be grateful for what you have, when you have it. Someone posted about going to India for a couple weeks, if you saw what most people in this world live on, you wouldn't be so disinterested in a 150k job, or even a 50k job. That is a key understanding to have, or it doesn't matter where you are, or how much you make, you will not be satisfied. The things that really matter have nothing to do with money anyway. I really appreciate your honesty in your post and sincerity in your question. I believe it never, ever makes sense to relocate for a woman, unless you're engaged. Chances are if this relationship is serious enough that you would quit a great job and move to another country for it, but at the same time you would not even discuss marriage with the woman, then this is not going to end in marriage, and it is not worth moving for. As far as the job, quite frankly, you made a big mistake. But we all do, and it's not the end of the world. If you can keep a job with the current company someway, somehow, while you find another job, even in a lower salary position, do it. Do not leave a job until you have another, unless there is absolutely no choice to do so. If the job loss is a done deal, well put your head down and find a job that pays the bills until you find something you love. Suck it up if you have to and make less, just work. Don't waste your savings taking a year to find the 'perfect job', find something to cover major expenses and while at that job look for the one you really want.

austerlitz

Reaction score
and while he is at it, explain why his gf cant move to nyc.
Maybe the OP can clarify the laid off business.

I have seen it al, but this one takes the cake. Like one of my commanders told me, "lieutenant, never make major irrational life changes for any woman." I have seen this pan out many times, i can bet money on it that after he makes the move, the relationship doesn't make it past 1 year. Bro, you are making a major life decision on a long distance relationship, you truly have't been with this woman that long. its long distance, so in all (real world) reality, you have been together 4 weeks or so.

kakaman

Reaction score
Dude, I was in your position before. I would say cut the chick loose, it's hard to maintain a normal relationship working 80+ weeks. It works now because it's long distance, but say you do banking in Canada, it'll eventually fall apart unless she does something similarly time consuming (finance, medicine, law, etc). Plenty of tail in NYC my man, you can just transition to another group in your firm.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

She should move, many more opportunities in NYC. Life is not over at 24 with one misstep, I've asked many people who are old and wealthy how they got there and it is rarely a linear path....unless they were I-bankers.

Everyone and their brother wants the job that both fulfills them emotionally and pays bank. Most end up picking one or the other.

If you're unwilling to live on less, the good news is that much of your decision is made for you.

Two wisest things said in the way of advice except for the dood that told you to never, ever give notice on your current job before you had the next one lined up.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me tell you something young man, life it is Never too late to get a fresh start! But you must be prepare for the rough times if you Accept a path with not surity as your Finance path.

I was a NP at a major hospital where my beautiful wife was a Doctor there, and she supported me when I left my horrible long hours job to pursue my dream as a professional musician. I lost near everything to this silly dream, but today I am still here and I am still trying. I do not make a good money living! Be careful I guess that is my advise to you.

My takeaway from this story is marry a doctor.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

passingtime

Reaction score

Maybe the OP can clarify the laid off business.

He works in New York which is an "at-will" state so he can quit or they can get rid of him at any point without justification. I suspect that the way it played out is that he said he was going to Canada at which point they accepted as his "intent to resign" and it was all over. So he resigned rather than was laid off.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics