• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have nothing to add except to say the LB in CXL is proving to be every bit the workhorse I thought it would be and more comfortable than I had imagined. I find myself hoping for bad weather so I have an excuse to wear them to work.

Nice. I wish they fit my foot better, because I was pretty impressed with how comfortable the LB sole was to walk on- felt like a sneaker.

Reaction score
I hate to do it, but let me add another question regarding seconds.

So I just received a pair of first and a pair of seconds in the Bleeker brown.

The firsts look great. The seconds look very good. There is one spot of the back of one that I could live with. My issues however is with the heels. They are really off on the seconds. I am not sure how this would affect things. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic? Also as can be seen, there is a good bit of difference in the color, which is OK for me too. But the firsts, which are darker, are much better looking in terms of color in my opinion. I have put a first up next to a second in a few pics of the heels to show the contrast.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's pretty bad that's it's so uneven. I wear out my outer heel edge first (underpronate?), so I can't imagine how that would affect my gait.. I'd probably twist my ankle on those! Also, the stitching and that spot look sloppy IMO. I don't know how much you paid, so if it doesn't bother you and you got a steal, then maybe it's worth it to you to keep them. But to me, I think they look like Seconds for a reason. Return them, Keep the Firsts.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone brought back a pair of seconds to my local retail store that had that exact same problem. I think it's a no-brainer. That's far from cosmetic.

DayTripper

Reaction score

I received these Adams 2nds yesterday and I was able to snap some really quick pics before I had to leave the house. I can't tell what the defect is except for maybe some uneven burnishing that you can see in the third pic, but I"m okay with that. I really like the shoes, but my heel slips a little bit. If I put a tongue pad in there it helps a lot, but I wonder if I should just return them rather than compromise on fit. I don't know how to size them since I think a 6.5 would be too short... maybe if I sized down and went up a width? I have a low instep and a narrow heel so I think loafers will always be difficult for me.

What do you guys think? Part of the reason why I want to keep them is because I like the braided tassel and they were only $177.

gatszu

Reaction score
Heel slippage will go away as you break in the shoes. I would walk around on carpet for a couple of days before trying anything else or returning.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received these Adams 2nds yesterday and I was able to snap some really quick pics before I had to leave the house. I can't tell what the defect is except for maybe some uneven burnishing that you can see in the third pic, but I"m okay with that. I really like the shoes, but my heel slips a little bit. If I put a tongue pad in there it helps a lot, but I wonder if I should just return them rather than compromise on fit. I don't know how to size them since I think a 6.5 would be too short... maybe if I sized down and went up a width? I have a low instep and a narrow heel so I think loafers will always be difficult for me.

What do you guys think? Part of the reason why I want to keep them is because I like the braided tassel and they were only $177.

Those are nice! Love the heavy stitched split toe! I'd buy them if they could delete the tassels. Not a tassel guy unfortunately. You could try a width down, but I'm guessing it will only be a slight improvement.

This, in navy sans tassels would be sweet. I wonder if they could do a contrasting braid colour?

Either way, very nice.

rostov

Reaction score

Ha! Glad someone snapped up a pair of these. I've been eyeing them on the shoebank for days. It's a bargain at $177. Tassels seem bigger in your photos than I expected they would; but you also have a relatively small foot, I wonder if the tassels are less imposing on a larger shoe?

In terms of size, I'm not sure. I've found 97 lasted loafers hard to fit as well. I tried sizing up and sizing down, but although I had heel slippage, the best fit was the same size I wear for the 5-last... but every foot is different, and I think ours are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have a MacNeil on the way, but it's laced, so I'm crossing fingers!

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently had some problems with sizing on the 5 last and have a very low instep as well. Went to CVS and bought some cheapo odor-eater-type insoles and slapped them in. Definitely helped with the sizing issue and I would recommend doing this before putting on a tongue pad.

iamelroberto

Reaction score

Those are nice!  Love the heavy stitched split toe!  I'd buy them if they could delete the tassels.  Not a tassel guy unfortunately.   You could try a width down, but I'm guessing it will only be a slight improvement.

This, in navy sans tassels would be sweet.  I wonder if they could do a contrasting braid colour?

Either way, very nice.   

So. The Bradley? (Plus laces I guess)

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the lighter laces. I might grab a pair myself. I definitely prefer the dark brown laces to the red ones though.
For those interested in the lighter laces on the GMTO Long Branch boots, they are from TZ Laces. They are "Strong 3/16" 5mm Flat Waxed Shoe, Boot Laces", 55" long (AE's laces are 50" long) in Tan/ Light Brown. You can get them directly from TZ Laces or on Amazon. The darker laces are from Shoe Laces Express.
Update on the laces from TZ Laces....I have been pissing and moaning about the speedhooks on the EC GMTO's, Bayfield and my recent Olive Shaker......not AE's fault at all they use proper speedhooks for that boot and round laces..Long Branches have bigger speedhooks. I love using flat laces in most my boots because I dress casual and the flat laces seem to be a better look for my chunky self and clothes...So as @FatTuesday posted "Strong 3/16" 5mm Flat Waxed Shoe, Boot Laces", 55" long are the ones I ordered and have enjoyed except they tend to pop out of the dress boots smaller speedhooks. TZ Laces actually included some 3mm flat laces free of charge when I placed my last order and they ROCK for the dress boots smaller speedhooks. Since I am a moron I never looked at my invoice and realized they had their own site until FatTuesday posted the link...so anyway I just ordered another shitload of laces...way too many laces...lots of 3mm flats in the 150cm and 75 cm sizes and some other round laces etc...I ordered flat waxed, 5mm unwaxed, 8 and 10mm wide ones etc. I sported the free red pair of 3mm flats with the Bayfields today just to make sure I liked them before ordering...While I prefer the 5MM and that is what I would use if these did not have speedhooks...here they are below and the size comparison.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got shoes from the regular line, the independence line, and the cordovan collection.

The raw components in the Indy line are an upgrade from the regular line in every respect. The upper is made from "crust leather," which is a much higher grade of calfskin. It's softer and finer, and has a tighter grain. The independance sole is much nicer than standard oak bark soles. It's an extra iron thicker, and looks much nicer. The interior lining is made of super soft lamb skin lining, rather than the standard glove leather lining. Also, the insile is much nicer. I think it's a leather insile wrapped in layers of soft cloth. Though I may be wrong? Anyway, they're much more comfortable than standard line shoes. And finally, the level of detailing and finidhing is much higher. If you can get a pair below 200$, even 2nd quality, I believe it's a great deal.

The standard model cordovan shoes are of course made from shell cordovan which is a different animal (literally) than the calfskin shoes. I won't say I like the leather better or worse than the Independence calfskin. I think they're both of equally high quality. But shell feels different from calfskin (detailed in length in this forum and others here), and many prefer one or the other. And of course, it's more expensive because it's rarer.

But the insole and lining of shell cordovan AE shoes are identical to the standard line, and therefore a step down. Although shell shoes are soled with JR. soles, which are stronger than the standard soles.

But I've managed to MTO cordovan pairs with independence line details, and so have gotten the best of both worlds.
smile.gif

But my Rutledges are sooo smooth and light. I was considering selling them because they don't get worn too often, but they're really a joy to wear.
On the Independence line, I would probably go up a width. That's been my personal experience. I think the inner lining makes the shoes especially snugger. Also, they seem to be "warmer" since the inner lining is thicker (?). Right now, I'm wearing my Independce shoes with thinner sox. That's just me so YMMV.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Heel slippage will go away as you break in the shoes. I would walk around on carpet for a couple of days before trying anything else or returning.

Those are nice! Love the heavy stitched split toe! I'd buy them if they could delete the tassels. Not a tassel guy unfortunately. You could try a width down, but I'm guessing it will only be a slight improvement.

This, in navy sans tassels would be sweet. I wonder if they could do a contrasting braid colour?

Either way, very nice.

Ha! Glad someone snapped up a pair of these. I've been eyeing them on the shoebank for days. It's a bargain at $177. Tassels seem bigger in your photos than I expected they would; but you also have a relatively small foot, I wonder if the tassels are less imposing on a larger shoe?

In terms of size, I'm not sure. I've found 97 lasted loafers hard to fit as well. I tried sizing up and sizing down, but although I had heel slippage, the best fit was the same size I wear for the 5-last... but every foot is different, and I think ours are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have a MacNeil on the way, but it's laced, so I'm crossing fingers!

I recently had some problems with sizing on the 5 last and have a very low instep as well. Went to CVS and bought some cheapo odor-eater-type insoles and slapped them in. Definitely helped with the sizing issue and I would recommend doing this before putting on a tongue pad.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll wear them around a little bit more before I make a final decision.

@rostov - I actually noticed the same thing about the tassels and started comparing mine to pictures online. I do think it's just because of my small shoe size and they'd look less imposing on a larger shoe.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daytripper- so, you're the one who got my Adams....good thing I preferred the black. I wear a 7d in basically all the lasts. The heel slipped for a while on my Jermyn, now I would call it roomy, but nothing like when I started.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Daytripper- so, you're the one who got my Adams....good thing I preferred the black. I wear a 7d in basically all the lasts. The heel slipped for a while on my Jermyn, now I would call it roomy, but nothing like when I started.
I was waiting for you to chime in since you're the loafer expert on this forum. Seriously, I read all of your posts carefully before I decided on the Adams, which you said was worth the additional cost over the Grayson.

I think I could make it work even if I need a tongue pad or some suede on the heel until the sole breaks in. I guess I was wondering how much you all are willing to compromise on fit, but with a foot like mine I think it'll always be a compromise unless I go bespoke - even on my bluchers, the heel is almost always a bit wide.

LanceM

Reaction score
On the Independence line, I would probably go up a width. That's been my personal experience. I think the inner lining makes the shoes especially snugger. Also, they seem to be "warmer" since the inner lining is thicker (?). Right now, I'm wearing my Independce shoes with thinner sox. That's just me so YMMV.

Interesting observations. I've heard people say the lining adds thickness. When I talk to my SA, she thinks people could feel that its tighter due to the independence insole. The SAs at my store said the lamb skin liner is the same thickness as the normal liner. Not sure if they are correct. In my experience and maybe my feet are odd, I find the independence shoes I own are looser and don't need to be broken in like my calf shoes. My Jeffersons fit slightly looser than my McAllisters and Strands. My Harrisons fit slightly looser than my Franciscans and University.

I'm thinking of making a MTO brown shell Jefferson since my calf Jeffersons fit better than my other 5 lasted shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads