• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a pretty good deal on these Carlyle's. $115 after tax from Macys. They currently have a sale plus an additional 25% off. The sake wasn't advertised on the website...so if you live near a Macys give them a call. Just sharing the love. They had Vernons, Gobi, Stradmoks, Park Avenues, Neumoks and a few others on sale. Additionally it's 25% off non sale items as well. Good luck...
One of the 10.5 guys here (you know who I'm talking about) needs to get those Baton Rouge from the Macy's site (including paying the ridiculous asking price) and post pics immediately.

catlettsl

Reaction score
2739b23565b4533f1a7b39a83df365d9.jpg

Well....Macys has struck again. $150 for these Walnut Flatiron's. I like these more than the Carlyles.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting observations.  I've heard people say the lining adds thickness.  When I talk to my SA, she thinks people could feel that its tighter due to the independence insole.  The SAs at my store said the lamb skin liner is the same thickness as the normal liner.  Not sure if they are correct.  In my experience and maybe my feet are odd,  I find the independence shoes I own are looser and don't need to be broken in like my calf shoes.  My Jeffersons fit slightly looser than my McAllisters and Strands.  My Harrisons fit slightly looser than my Franciscans and University.

I'm thinking of making a MTO brown shell Jefferson since my calf Jeffersons fit better than my other 5 lasted shoes.

I found the indy insole to make quite a difference.

Brown shell Jeff.

Natty shell Strand

The strands laced up much nicer. Both 11.5D and similar weight socks. My left foot is the larger by a smidge.Regret selling the Jeffs a bit but some Truffle McAllisters helped ease the pain.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
Lucky for you I can't actually sleep anymore. Picture this, if it makes sense - the Neumok is completely unlined (don't know if you have tried or own it). Then take the Park Ave, which feels kind of like a normal shoe. The Independence line shoes sort of feel like the park ave (or similar) but as if you were wrapped in a pillow on the inside due to the lining - they feel sort of slipper soft. I believe when they released those, they made like one on each last (222, 333, 65 and 97). The re-release sounds like they will be all 65, based on the classic styles (instead of new ones). Maybe a good idea, maybe not - I'm still on the fence. I believe they were worth the premium at the time, but if they go higher in price and approach the shell cord, there would be no question, shell cord crushes the indep. line in every regard. Hope that helps - I might not be completely coherent right now.
Nice imagery, probably aided by your lack of sleep and primal desire to feel like you were cuddling a slipper soft pillow. So, better liner and better materials.

Ok, I've got shoes from the regular line, the independence line, and the cordovan collection.

The raw components in the Indy line are an upgrade from the regular line in every respect. The upper is made from "crust leather," which is a much higher grade of calfskin. It's softer and finer, and has a tighter grain. The independance sole is much nicer than standard oak bark soles. It's an extra iron thicker, and looks much nicer. The interior lining is made of super soft lamb skin lining, rather than the standard glove leather lining. Also, the insile is much nicer. I think it's a leather insile wrapped in layers of soft cloth. Though I may be wrong? Anyway, they're much more comfortable than standard line shoes. And finally, the level of detailing and finidhing is much higher. If you can get a pair below 200$, even 2nd quality, I believe it's a great deal.

The standard model cordovan shoes are of course made from shell cordovan which is a different animal (literally) than the calfskin shoes. I won't say I like the leather better or worse than the Independence calfskin. I think they're both of equally high quality. But shell feels different from calfskin (detailed in length in this forum and others here), and many prefer one or the other. And of course, it's more expensive because it's rarer.

But the insole and lining of shell cordovan AE shoes are identical to the standard line, and therefore a step down. Although shell shoes are soled with JR. soles, which are stronger than the standard soles.

But I've managed to MTO cordovan pairs with independence line details, and so have gotten the best of both worlds.
smile.gif

But my Rutledges are sooo smooth and light. I was considering selling them because they don't get worn too often, but they're really a joy to wear.
So it sounds like everything is a higher quality. The only big upgrade left would be the JR soles (assuming we're sticking with calf). And the layer under the sole may be a completely different construction, not the cork.

I'll have to check some out some time. Not any time soon, unfortunately, I'm on a spending hiatus for a bit. The MTO thing calls to me. I like the idea of getting a shoe how I want it, and the premium doesn't seem to be that high.

Thanks for the info.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the independence lining actually makes the shoes fit bigger and easier to close the lacing gap. Maybe it's just me.

the1gofer

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong place. I just got these allen edmonds in the mail (ordered online), and I think I may need to send them back. I wanted to get some advice first. they are 10 d. It's my first pair of high end shoes, so I want to make sure I do it right. When I lace them up this is how they look. I'm thinking they may need to be a bit wider. Also I when I stand my toes come to about an inch from the tip. I don't think they should go all the way to the end, but I wasn't sure how much space is too much space.

LanceM

Reaction score
I find the independence lining actually makes the shoes fit bigger and easier to close the lacing gap. Maybe it's just me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I think my Jeffersons fit wider and close more than my other 5 last shoes.

I found the indy insole to make quite a difference.

Brown shell Jeff.

Natty shell Strand

The strands laced up much nicer. Both 11.5D and similar weight socks. My left foot is the larger by a smidge.Regret selling the Jeffs a bit but some Truffle McAllisters helped ease the pain.

Amazing shoes. They look great! I wish they still had truffle or mocha.

I guess the independence lining fits people differently, some making the shoe wider ands some tighter.

LanceM

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong place. I just got these allen edmonds in the mail (ordered online), and I think I may need to send them back. I wanted to get some advice first. they are 10 d. It's my first pair of high end shoes, so I want to make sure I do it right. When I lace them up this is how they look. I'm thinking they may need to be a bit wider. Also I when I stand my toes come to about an inch from the tip. I don't think they should go all the way to the end, but I wasn't sure how much space is too much space.

Those are definitely too tight. You need to go up a width or more. Best bet would be to try on a bunch of sizes at a store.

LanceM

Reaction score
I wish my local Macy's carried AE, so I could get the amazing deals you all are getting.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at another pair of AE's but they have the dianite soles. Any comments on those? They don't look so durable or comfy.

What about the cronmoks / neumoks also? The leather is so soft but are they worth the money?

Last edited:

Ulsterman

Reaction score

I was looking at another pair of AE's but they have the dianite soles. Any comments on those? They don't look so durable or comfy.

What about the cronmoks / neumoks also? The leather is so soft but are they worth the money?

For what it's worth, I just received a pair of blue neumok seconds today and they are freaking gorgeous. Pics tomorrow of their first wear.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why do you think they don't look durable? Danite is incredibly durable. More than any other AE sole

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would suggest going down a length and up a width. 9.5 E might be better for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads