• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoosensuits

Reaction score

I recently returned a similar pair of Walnut Clifton's recently that had striping only on one shoe. I'm waiting to see if I get a better replacement. The striping on your pair is definitely more muted than mine was, so if it were me, I'd be more inclined to keep the pair you have. They still look really nice to me.

Before I even saw the striping, I was planning on darkening up a pair of walnuts to a light brown. Not sure that's wise with this pair as it may make the striping even more prominent? Or could it actually help?

Last edited:

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Anyone think these Hale seconds should be returned? Visible striping on right shoe, not bad but visible.

Those don't look bad to me. I picked up a pair when my size was on clearance, and I like them a lot.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

I just got a pair of Long Branch boots (11.5 D), but unfortunately, the last is too narrow for my foot (I had the same issue with the Dalton and even upsized a half size this time). Has anyone else had this issue and gone to a wider width? I've got a pair of E width Eagle River boots on the way, so hopefully those fit my foot better. Anyway, this LB is a great casual boot with otherwise comfortable Gumlite sole and v soft Dark Brown Grain Leather, but the width across the forefoot is a dealbreaker for me. So, I am looking to sell and thought this may be interest to some of you... eBay item no.: 261792262490 Check out the link below. Thanks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261792262490?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I have mentioned the same issue elsewhere in the forum....I'm a pretty consistent 11.5 D in 5 and 108 last styles, but have to size up to 12D in the Long Branch and Daltons. I even have a 12E in a Dalton shell. The 511 is a short narrow last IMO.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Anyone think these Hale seconds should be returned? Visible striping on right shoe, not bad but visible.

Look... If it's bothering you enough that you came on here to ask about it, return them. It's going to bother you till you no longer own the shoes, unless you are the kind of guy that is greatly influenced by public opinion... Then I guess you might feel better listening to these guys than trusting your gut.

chrisleduc1

Reaction score
I hate to do it, but let me add another question regarding seconds.

So I just received a pair of first and a pair of seconds in the Bleeker brown.

The firsts look great. The seconds look very good. There is one spot of the back of one that I could live with. My issues however is with the heels. They are really off on the seconds. I am not sure how this would affect things. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic? Also as can be seen, there is a good bit of difference in the color, which is OK for me too. But the firsts, which are darker, are much better looking in terms of color in my opinion. I have put a first up next to a second in a few pics of the heels to show the contrast.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

chrisleduc1

Reaction score
What do you think of the cloud finish? Is it that much different from the regular walnut finish?

Unfortunately I dont have a regular walnut to compare. From what I see behind the computer screen, the cloud is a bit lighter. I can post more pics if you want.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score

The firsts look great. The seconds look very good. There is one spot of the back of one that I could live with. My issues however is with the heels. They are really off on the seconds. I am not sure how this would affect things. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic? Also as can be seen, there is a good bit of difference in the color, which is OK for me too. But the firsts, which are darker, are much better looking in terms of color in my opinion. I have put a first up next to a second in a few pics of the heels to show the contrast.

I don't have any direct experience with anything like that, and I'm not sure I'd even have noticed. When you put them on and stand in them does it feel weird or uncomfortable? I suspect that after wearing them a few times, the leather will flex and they'll sit flat, or, at least, as flat as any other shoe.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between the independence line and shoes that aren't in it?

GoodTwillHuntin

Reaction score

I'd say a leveled heel is very important. I would be afraid it would mess up your posture and wouldn't risk it.

catlettsl

Reaction score
Just got a pretty good deal on these Carlyle's. $115 after tax from Macys. They currently have a sale plus an additional 25% off. The sake wasn't advertised on the website...so if you live near a Macys give them a call. Just sharing the love. They had Vernons, Gobi, Stradmoks, Park Avenues, Neumoks and a few others on sale. Additionally it's 25% off non sale items as well. Good luck...

ccff0f328dd1f722068f46b396c74103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads