• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday McNeil 5

Love the golden brown CXL. I might look into that new one like the Lexington in the CXL, can't remember the name. Or maybe the Clark Street, I like that one too. I need something other than wingtips and PTB haha, I have so many already.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Love the golden brown CXL. I might look into that new one like the Lexington in the CXL, can't remember the name. Or maybe the Clark Street, I like that one too. I need something other than wingtips and PTB haha, I have so many already.

Yeah the golden brown is a nice shade...the clark street is great but def make sure it fits you right before ordering one MTO. The Oak Street would look killer in this leather...I was entertaining a Gobi in the golden brown CXL while it is on sale but probably hold off for now.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the golden brown is a nice shade...the clark street is great but def make sure it fits you right before ordering one MTO. The Oak Street would look killer in this leather...I was entertaining a Gobi in the golden brown CXL while it is on sale but probably hold off for now.

If that was a stock model I would have already bought it haha, just can't bring myself to do a MTO.

aejc

Reaction score
Also, I saw these on the bay today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...09?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item1e94b6ef19

I thought the pattern, pattern and perfing on these looked so much better than the current McAllisters. What do you guys think?

The "60 year" sticker on the sole prompted me to find a 1982 catalog:
http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-1982-catalog

McAllisters of that vintage were polished cobbler (CG); the Boulevards are "custom calfskin" and should be good if they are not totally dried out. Like the McAllisters, the Boulevards are on the 5 last. However, as these are pre-1984, I don't know if the last is exactly the same as the current 65 last (a 1984 fire burned down the headquarters plant).

I like the non-overlapping wingtip (as compared to my McAllisters), but I prefer a fifth piece of leather at the eyestay and a balmoral stitch. It's a bit closer to a current Jefferson with subdued broguing than to the McAllister.

I looked at the box from the first pair of AEs I purchased in 1988 (crazy, but yes I have it, despite having moved multiple times since then; funny thing is my second pair was acquired in 1990, and I was disappointed when the box was replaced with a new one when I sent them back for recrafting -- next time, I'm not shipping them in the box). I purchased them at a heavily discounted price via a WSJ print ad (pre-www: I was on Usenet at the time). The box is marked $129; I think list was around $185. So $135 is probably close to the original 1982 price.

Unfortunately, my size is not offered. If anyone buys these, I'd also like to know if the leather has aged well (after applying a few coats of conditioner) and if there are any perceptible differences in the last.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "60 year" sticker on the sole prompted me to find a 1982 catalog:
http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-1982-catalog

McAllisters of that vintage were polished cobbler (CG); the Boulevards are "custom calfskin" and should be good if they are not totally dried out. Like the McAllisters, the Boulevards are on the 5 last. However, as these are pre-1984, I don't know if the last is exactly the same as the current 65 last (a 1984 fire burned down the headquarters plant).

I like the non-overlapping wingtip (as compared to my McAllisters), but I prefer a fifth piece of leather at the eyestay and a balmoral stitch. It's a bit closer to a current Jefferson with subdued broguing than to the McAllister.

I looked at the box from the first pair of AEs I purchased in 1988 (crazy, but yes I have it, despite having moved multiple times since then; funny thing is my second pair was acquired in 1990, and I was disappointed when the box was replaced with a new one when I sent them back for recrafting -- next time, I'm not shipping them in the box). I purchased them at a heavily discounted price via a WSJ print ad (pre-www: I was on Usenet at the time). The box is marked $129; I think list was around $185. So $135 is probably close to the original 1982 price.

Unfortunately, my size is not offered. If anyone buys these, I'd also like to know if the leather has aged well (after applying a few coats of conditioner) and if there are any perceptible differences in the last.

Awesome. Thanks for the information. Reading your post and looking at the old catalog makes me want a pair. Too bad my size isn't listed here. I wonder if they ship with the original boxes. For $135, it might be a gamble for some of you with narrow feet.

kentyman

Reaction score

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked a 75° & rainy day to wear my

Brown Shell Townley's

(SMU that was supposed to go to Germany)

OTC merino wool socks from Lands' End

I'm going to have to polish these guys tonight.

Nice. I love my Townleys. I think I probably bought they at the same time as you, as I remember the story about them originally made for Germany.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tweed season has arrived, perfect with brown cordovan Strands. Outdoor and office lighting. Picked up my orthotic insoles for arch support today so not thrilled with the lacing gap in the second pic after I put them in. Might need to change the sizing. The Strands are still pretty new so have some breaking in to do, that gap should close up a bit.
One thing I love about the brown shell strands is that greenish look under certain light. The color changes are nice.

rostov

Reaction score
Hey any bigfoots...a pair of Long Branch in 13E just popped up in distressed Teak

You can see what distressed teak looks like here on page 13 on a loafer

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/ae_fall2012_catalog

Odd, I just came across this as well. It can't have been an MTO, the shoebank has this in 9 D, 10 B, 11.5 D, 11 3E, and 13 E.

Not a big fan of the distressed teak which I happen to have on an old pair of Ashbury boots.... but interesting, nonetheless, especially since it's a brogued boot.

ironfist1906

Reaction score
Congrats on the Chukkas. I really think that may be my next purchase. Looking to pop my cordovan "cherry" and am deciding between the AE and the Alden models. If you don't mind me asking did you consider Alden also? If so, why did you go with AE? I wish I was in The position to get a pair during the recent trunk sale!

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a GMTO going on the Allen Edmonds MTO thread for a bitter chocolate suede or brown chamois PTB for $199 based on the Badlands.

Of anyone is interested please come and join us there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads