• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
They're on the 222 last. A little narrow but probably my best fitting shoes outside my Ridgeways. I have feet flatter than a sheet of plywood, so I can't speak to the high instep fit!
My feet also flat and felt like the 2 last fit me really well. I've tried on the Sauders and went down half a size comparing to other 5 last shoes. They are a bit tight across the toe box but I think they'll loosen up after a few wears.

movoblast

Reaction score
This is why I love shell. I ordered the seconds of a pair of Truffle McAllisters I ordered awhile back. I thought it might be fun to change the edge dressing and have a beater pair. I put the new one next to the old one, and the variation in the color is pretty cool:

The new pair on the left looks almost ravello, while the one on the right looks like a golden-tinged version of the standard brown. What do you guys think? Is this enough variation for me to change the edge dressing on the new ones and declare them a different pair (and thus keep both pairs)?
I had a pair of truffle mccallister seconds that I returned because the two sizes were off, although they were both labeled as being the same size. They arrived looking like the pair on the right (truffle), but after applying a very small amount of brown cordovan cream, they ended up looking like the pair on the left (ravello-ish). I actually kinda regret returning them because the size difference wasn't really noticeable.

Subutai

Reaction score

This is why I love shell. I ordered the seconds of a pair of Truffle McAllisters I ordered awhile back. I thought it might be fun to change the edge dressing and have a beater pair. I put the new one next to the old one, and the variation in the color is pretty cool: The new pair on the left looks almost ravello, while the one on the right looks like a golden-tinged version of the standard brown. What do you guys think? Is this enough variation for me to change the edge dressing on the new ones and declare them a different pair (and thus keep both pairs)?
Two totally different shoes, I'd keep both! You'll regret it if you don't, they both have great (and different) color and patina.

BL70

Reaction score
Anyone have mctavish in the brown distressed? I decided to exchange my ridgeway (just too much orange for a bus casual shoe for me). I like the cognac color but don't think that mctavish would be included in the 2 for 250. But the brown is, I just haven't seen many pics so don't know how the color will work. But for 125 I guess it still a good but

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can order WebGems through an AE SA? An "ask and answer" has just been posted for the cognac MacNeil 5 in which AE confirmed that the leather is CXL. That's enough to get me to pull the trigger on it. However, if I can give my local SA this business, I'd like to. TIA!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Does anyone know if you can order WebGems through an AE SA?  An "ask and answer" has just been posted for the cognac MacNeil 5 in which AE confirmed that the leather is CXL.  That's enough to get me to pull the trigger on it.  However, if I can give my local SA this business, I'd like to.  TIA!

I don't know for sure.

I don't see why not. Would seem silly if you couldn't. I doubt AE wants to take business away from their retail locations.

Last edited:

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
What do you think about MacNeil in burnished burgundy or merlot? Was that the color offered last year as a web gem? Any of you have a pair and/or a photo to share?

Obviously, unless you prefer calf, the burgundy cordovan would be preferable, but pricier.

S

I have the Chester shortwings in merlot. I think its a beautiful color, but it's definitely more casual than the burgundy (also, somewhat harder to match with a belt). I find myself only wearing it on days when I don't have important meetings or court appearances. If you have a less formal office, or would mainly wear them casually, give the merlots a shot.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hey guys, got my second Katmai's in. I see a few spots on the left boot... can these be brushed out or am I just better off returning them?

Thanks

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can order WebGems through an AE SA? An "ask and answer" has just been posted for the cognac MacNeil 5 in which AE confirmed that the leather is CXL. That's enough to get me to pull the trigger on it. However, if I can give my local SA this business, I'd like to. TIA!

I wonder if they are all CXL, it sure looks like Tan is Natural CXL and the Burgnudy is #8 CXL to me. Which also makes me excited at the new possibility of some #8 CXL boots for the fall, think how amazing the Promontory boot would have been had they done it in that.

Did we ever straighten out what last the Macneil 5 is on?

Last edited:

HarleyBob

Reaction score

Hey guys, got my second Katmai's in. I see a few spots on the left boot... can these be brushed out or am I just better off returning them?

Thanks

I would send them back. Heck, don't we all expect 2nds to be perfect! In addition, I would ask them for a full refund and a new pair of 1sts for your trouble. Wait, that doesn't make sense. Ask them for 2 pair of 1st for your troubles and make sure they pay the shipping. Good grief, any company that would send you a pair of 2nds with flaws in them should have to suffer the consequences of providing a poor quality product.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks

I'm not trying to beat up on you, but these are seconds. This why they initiated the restocking charge on seconds. Buyers buying second quality shoes and returning them until they get first quality looking shoes. Some people get lucky on here and receive seconds and say "I can't tell why these are seconds". IMO, you should buy seconds knowing they WILL be defected. If you can't deal with defects then buy firsts. This is the reson I don't buy seconds.

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Thanks
I would try to brush them off, you can also try to suede eraser to clean the spots out.

Are the from the 2/250 sale? If so, you're getting them for a great price, def worth keeping. Stop Bitching and Start Wearing them bad boys
biggrin.gif

bgp001

Reaction score

That is a SWEET haul.  For a while I was really tempted by the possibility of an MTO Portland - like a customized Indy almost.  And those Slatons are killer!

Thanks! MTO Portlands would be ridiculous. Something like Cognac Dublin or Burgundy CXL with a toasted edge and contrast stitching, I'd definitely buy those!

Anyone have mctavish in the brown distressed? I decided to exchange my ridgeway (just too much orange for a bus casual shoe for me). I like the cognac color but don't think that mctavish would be included in the 2 for 250. But the brown is, I just haven't seen many pics so don't know how the color will work. But for 125 I guess it still a good but

I don't think either shoe was intended to be business casual. I would never wear my Ridgeways with anything other than jeans or cords, and the same would go for those Mctavishes. The brown distressed is very casual. I personally would not buy a shoe just because it's cheap. It'll always go straight to the back of the closet.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if you can order WebGems through an AE SA?  An "ask and answer" has just been posted for the cognac MacNeil 5 in which AE confirmed that the leather is CXL.  That's enough to get me to pull the trigger on it.  However, if I can give my local SA this business, I'd like to.  TIA!

Yes, I can confirm that this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics