• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read this critique elsewhere, but In person I don't see how they could look plasticky. Particularly after they have been worn a bit, they get a great patina. It is, however, personal preference.
I also think shell's creasing is much better looking than calf's.
Care is actually quite simple - brush them if you want to make them look good. Once you get past the initial break in (and "spewing" of extra oils) they really only require a minute or so of brushing to freshen up their look.
They also have the ability to last a long time. The leather is thicker and hardy, so you will get away with banging them on things that would kill a calfskin shoe.
Finally, once broken in and worn for a while, they get very soft and ultra comfortable. Seriously, I have a pair that is so soft that the vamp will start to collapse in unless there are shoe trees in them.
I agree here. If you can fork out the extra money for shell cordovan, the longevity of the leather upper should be quite longer than calfskin. One question that is hard to find an answer to, however, is whether or not the shoe itself will last longer over all. The general consensus is that goodyear welted shoes can go through about 4-5 recraftings before they are done for. I haven't heard any reports that shell can withstand a greater number of recraftings. I don't think it is unfair to say that a shell cordovan shoe at 20 years old will look significantly better than a calf skin shoe at 20 years old. This is a great video on the making of shell cordovan by the way: just in case you haven't seen it.

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for the info. Is there an AE shell shoe in particular that should be in one's rotation?

In addition to the points above, I am one of those that love the different colors of walnut shell for example that make up a shell shoe or boot that AE makes. And especially echo a fondness for the rolls that develop in a plain toe. That is one of the reasons why I purchased the Dundee in all flavors of shell that AE offers.

My first shell was the Leeds in #8, it is a great choice IMO. #8 seems to go with most anything and so does the Leeds. The Cambridge in #8 is also an outstanding choice and in some ways I consider it the flagship shoe of my collection. I can not fit into loafers without heel slippage so am limited in that area. I would go for something in #8 and what ever style you would likely wear the most to start with. But be careful, shell is addicting....

bucksfan

Reaction score
In addition to the points above, I am one of those that love the different colors of walnut shell for example that make up a shell shoe or boot that AE makes. And especially echo a fondness for the rolls that develop in a plain toe. That is one of the reasons why I purchased the Dundee in all flavors of shell that AE offers.

My first shell was the Leeds in #8, it is a great choice IMO. #8 seems to go with most anything and so does the Leeds. The Cambridge in #8 is also an outstanding choice and in some ways I consider it the flagship shoe of my collection. I can not fit into loafers without heel slippage so am limited in that area. I would go for something in #8 and what ever style you would likely wear the most to start with. But be careful, shell is addicting....

Indeed.

As to your question, clarksdb, your preferences (based on the list you gave us) indicate you are looking for a balmoral wingtip (Jefferson / McAllister) - if that is the case, check out the Cambridge! As Cold Iron stated above, it is a great shoe, and a real classic. The double-oak sole makes it "feel" more substantial, while still remaining a fairly sleek shoe. You also said you were interested in the Patriot. They make this in shell cordovan as well - burgundy, black and brown.

The brown shell Strand is a fantastic shoe as well (Like the Cambridge, it is on the Park Ave's 5-last).

I also have a soft spot in my heart for a heavy cordovan longwing, the Macneil.. This is on a slightly different last, which comes to more of a point. It also happens to fit my foot pretty well, though not everyone shares my fondness for the 7 last.

If you are only getting 1 shell cordovan shoe (or should I say 1 for now), start with a shoe you like the styling of, and one that fits well. I would also get one whose style allows you to wear it in varying degrees of formality. For example, I wear my Macneils and Leeds with anything from jeans to suits. (these are the left two shoes in this pic):

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
I thought I would share my meager collection of AE.

I picked up the black PA and walnut Strands during Nordstroms anniversary sale. The CXL Bayfields and Chocolate Daltons are both seconds I bought during the Rediscovering America Sale last month. The defects in both boots were readily apparent to me but I am ok with them; both pairs have issues with the eyelet alignment and some stitching.

The whole family

My first pair of AE - Walnut Strands

Black PA

CXL Bayfields - I love the milk chocolate color. These are the perfect fall/winter boot if you mostly wear jeans and chinos.

Chocolate Daltons

All of my AEs are 10E although they all fit a little different. The strand is tight in the vamp but otherwise fits well. The PA are snug but noticeably less tight than the strands. The Bayfields fit really well right out of the box, the leather is very supple and they felt broken in from the start. The Daltons were initially tight at the start of my instep but it has loosened up nicely; even though the hayfield and dalton are on the same last they fit differently because of where the lacing starts.
Excellent collection, nicely varied and extremely well cared for. I wish my black calf Park Aves looked as nice. I also appreciate your comments on fit and sizing. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, the Neumoras are nice, thanks for posting. They look pretty 'long', what size are those?
J

The last the Neumoras are on definitely fits long--at least as long as, if not longer than the five last in my experience.

My Neumoras also have creased forward of the cap. I don't think it looks bad, and it isn't uncomfortable, so it doesnt bother me.

ShiroiAkuma

Reaction score
Not to many people have the Fifth Streets, I'm looking for another pair of boots (AE's) & I hardly see anyone in here wearing these. Looks like I'll have to post some pics up once I shine them up!

ckprax

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the compliments. My Park Aves look nice because I have spent significantly more time polishing than wearing them. They have come with me to the tailor a few times and that's it. They are primarily for job interviews; i just moved from CA to the east coast and need a new job so they should get some use soon.

Excellent collection, nicely varied and extremely well cared for. I wish my black calf Park Aves looked as nice.  I also appreciate your comments on fit and sizing.  Thank  you for sharing!  

evolved

Reaction score
Has anyone used Obenauf's HDLP on the brown CXL Bayfield?

I'm wanting to hear some reviews on it. Also, if I apply HDLP I know that the leather will be quite dull but extremely weather proof....will I be able to strip the HDLP off with something like Saphir Reno and return the leather to it's normal sheen?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the compliments. My Park Aves look nice because I have spent significantly more time polishing than wearing them. They have come with me to the tailor a few times and that's it. They are primarily for job interviews; i just moved from CA to the east coast and need a new job so they should get some use soon.

rotflmao.gif

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So should I buy the polish or just have someone polish my shoes once a month? My 5 month is starting to show

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to many people have the Fifth Streets, I'm looking for another pair of boots (AE's) & I hardly see anyone in here wearing these. Looks like I'll have to post some pics up once I shine them up!
I think a few of us jumped on them when they were on sale last year for $199.

kentyman

Reaction score

imainish

Reaction score

Wow, the Neumoras are nice, thanks for posting. They look pretty 'long', what size are those?
J

To my eye the 3-333 is the nicest last I have seen from AE and much more similar in design to the C&J, G&G, EG etc that I have come to admire in a quality shoe yet at a price point that works for me. That said, I don't understand why we should have to "get over" or settle for creasing in the wrong spot. I sent AE an email and await their response.

They are a size 7D.

Firefox

Reaction score
So should I buy the polish or just have someone polish my shoes once a month? My 5 month is starting to show
I think there are different schools of thought. Some people would rather just pay to have someone else do it for them and save the effort.

On the other hand, there's the belief that if you want to know that it's done to the standards you expect, you do it yourself.

Personally, I polish my own shoes. After the up-front investment in some good polishes, conditioners, and brushes, it really isn't that big a deal; maybe an hour or so every month, depending on how dirty my shoes are. Unless you are polishing every shoe you own on a weekly basis (in which case you need professional help
biggrin.gif
), taking care of your own shoes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Some people actually find it enjoyable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads