• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure he denounced the Mac Method
nod%5B1%5D.gif

In all seriousness though...I was wondering the same thing.

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Tampa!

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Doc, you asked for pics of my seconds suede Strands when they arrived:

Thanks, ScottyB.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with my computer screen which makes the images of these shoes much too dark to see correctly. I'll have to wait until I get home to scope them out.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ScottyB.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with my computer screen which makes the images of these shoes much too dark to see correctly. I'll have to wait until I get home to scope them out.

Maybe it's time to stop blaming the computer monitor and go see the optometrist about a new pair of glasses.
rimshot.gif

jogurt

Reaction score
I know others have said this, but what you suggest sounds a lot like the Rapid City. And yes, they are prettier (and the leather much heavier-duty) than they look on the website. I just bought a pair.

evolved

Reaction score
Those of you with shell cordovan.....do any of you use the deer bone as part of the maintenance of the leather?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized that the father of this thread, Mild Mannered, is listed as banned.

Does anyone know what he did to get the axe?
LOL! I didn't know that, but it's hilarious. My guess is that this whole thread was a front for his foot-fetish, and when he was found out...

Last edited:

green garden

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

How long does it take to process a refund for seconds?

I returned a second quality pair and was charged $10 for the restocking fee. The restocking fee was already posted to my credit card about a week ago, but when do I actually get the credit for the returned shoes? Thanks.

My experience, around 1 or 2 days after they receive the merchandise. They will inform you when they received it. Or you can track it and call them once it's delivered to confirm. Have returned twice (not seconds though) and never had a problem.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized that the father of this thread, Mild Mannered, is listed as banned.

Does anyone know what he did to get the axe?

I noticed that, and don't know how long ago he was banned, but I think it was over a year ago. I've tried to figure out what some people have done to get banned, but it's nearly impossible. Often it's nothing more than simply posting something for sale in the regular threads, violating the rules. I don't know for sure if they give warnings or if you just get banned on first offenses for some things.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Why do people here on SF insist on wearing black trousers?
I have a black/white/grey houndstooth sports coat that looks best with black trousers. Aside from occasions requiring a black suit, I otherwise avoid them.

Those of you with shell cordovan.....do any of you use the deer bone as part of the maintenance of the leather?

A related question: how is the bone prepared? I'd rather not buy something that I can collect over the normal course of hunting season. Yet I understand that the bone used to shine cordovan deposits oil on the shoe, and I have no idea how to preserve a bone without drying it out.

SBear

Reaction score
Quote:
I noticed that, and don't know how long ago he was banned, but I think it was over a year ago. I've tried to figure out what some people have done to get banned, but it's nearly impossible. Often it's nothing more than simply posting something for sale in the regular threads, violating the rules. I don't know for sure if they give warnings or if you just get banned on first offenses for some things.
I don't know either but I do see that all of his posts that are still accessible took place over ~3.5 months in summer of 2009. Maybe he wasn't so mild mannered after all?

SBear

Reaction score
Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

Great shoes and great story!
I hope the smell of cordovan reminds someone of me someday!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

Wearing my brown calf today
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Can't say the same for smell, but I like mine very much as well. Underrated AE shoe.

Would like to see some picures if possible after you get some shine on them. The ones in store always look dull and neglected.

cincikid

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

How long does it take to process a refund for seconds?

I returned a second quality pair and was charged $10 for the restocking fee. The restocking fee was already posted to my credit card about a week ago, but when do I actually get the credit for the returned shoes? Thanks.

My experience, around 1 or 2 days after they receive the merchandise. They will inform you when they received it. Or you can track it and call them once it's delivered to confirm. Have returned twice (not seconds though) and never had a problem.

Sometimes it may take a while, especially if you are returning during (or immediately after) a busy sale that they had. A few times my card was charged but the shoes were never shipped until I called and inquired about them. Also, I had to call and ask about my refund more than once. Wait for a few days and if you don't get it before the end of the week, give them a call.

tietherope

Reaction score
I traveled to the U.S. over the weekend and went into an Allen Edmonds store to get fitted. As you can imagine, the size I should be buying is different from what I have been buying, but what I have still works and I'll continue wearing them.

My question is, in my "new size" there is a pair of Dundee Cordovan seconds, but Jeffersonville says the sides of the shoe are lighter than the toe of the shoe & tongue and it looks two tones. Can this be overcome/fixed or is it a lost cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics