• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently there are some rare colors for Mitchell, navy red, and "gold". Navy shell is pretty enticing, but I'll likely end up with classic #8 when I do decide to pull the trigger. This is probably, running off topic at this point, but good to know and thanks for the links and input guys.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200+ for a wallet??? Call me crazy... but having a wallet worth more than the cash it carries seems to be a waste of money... who needs wallets these days anyways?

You could always keep more than $200 in it. Then you wouldn't have that problem!
teacha.gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I got the Mitchell Leather wallet at least. I got the money clip version.

I copied someone else here, honestly, and got the #8 shell with the wheat CXL interior. The color combination is just outstanding.

Yea, those rare colors from Ashland are almost impossible to get. Right time, right place sort of thing. Kinda like shoes. I like my Mitchell. I wouldn't pay more than $99 for a wallet anyway!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Currently there are some rare colors for Mitchell, navy red, and "gold". Navy shell is pretty enticing, but I'll likely end up with classic #8 when I do decide to pull the trigger. This is probably, running off topic at this point, but good to know and thanks for the links and input guys.

Mitchell only has black and #8 at the moment. Even those are in short supply.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't shell, but Saddleback Leather makes some nice leather products as well. A 100 year warranty (on you and subsequent owners) on a leather product isn't anything to take lightly, and their prices are quite reasonable.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
I contacted the owner of Ashland about two months ago when they were all sold out of the front pocket wallet (which looks almost identical to the Mitchells one posted above). He told me they were sold out, but had color 8 and whiskey being made. I told him to put me down for one, and just like that, I now have a whiskey shell wallet, with the same Horween stamp in the middle. For $99, I'm happy. I wish I had have grabbed one of AE's shell money clips for $25 when they were on clearance, though.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some pics of well worn AE Independence collection shoes? I just bought some Jefferson seconds and am wondering whether to return them or not, since I can get 1sts for $100 more.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not for shell, that's for the CXL interior of a shell exterior (the shell is only available in black or burgundy). The "gold" is the wheat CXL that I used, though I really thought about doing navy instead for the interior.

It is worth noting, though, that it's a small, highly customizable shop. So, he might have some natural shell on hand, and you can certainly ask him to make combinations that he doesn't actually list on the website. So, even though there is no #8 shell with mismatched interior, you can definitely get it.

Edit: I just checked the page, and it is definitely a CXL interior, but it is *much* less clear now that that's the case. He now just says Horween interior, rather than Horween CXL, so you could definitely get confused.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

That's not for shell, that's for the CXL interior of a shell exterior (the shell is only available in black or burgundy). The "gold" is the wheat CXL that I used, though I really thought about doing navy instead for the interior.

It is worth noting, though, that it's a small, highly customizable shop. So, he might have some natural shell on hand, and you can certainly ask him to make combinations that he doesn't actually list on the website. So, even though there is no #8 shell with mismatched interior, you can definitely get it.

Edit: I just checked the page, and it is definitely a CXL interior, but it is *much* less clear now that that's the case. He now just says Horween interior, rather than Horween CXL, so you could definitely get confused.

+1.

I have been contacting him on an almost bi-monthly basis waiting for natural shell. None available up to this point.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gotcha. I see it now. I'll have to look into it. Just found the shell wallet thread so I'll look around there. Based on what I've been reading there and the Alden thread, people have some worries about the cordovan shortage. Doesn't seem to be as prevalent for people here (on the AE thread) unless they're looking for the now depleted "unique" colors. Does AE have access to more shell than the smaller companies and is less affected by the possible shortage?

Last edited:

drbhrb

Reaction score
They aren't shell, but Saddleback Leather makes some nice leather products as well. A 100 year warranty (on you and subsequent owners) on a leather product isn't anything to take lightly, and their prices are quite reasonable.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

I have a Saddleback wallet(medium bifold) and I wish I spent more on something better. Their finishing(if you can call it that - the edges arent finished at all) leaves a lot to be desired. Also they recently sent out an email announcing that they are no longer cutting around blemishes, scrapes, nicks, etc in the leather. Not only that, they tried to sell it as an improvement that shows off the life of the cow. It's like they took a dump on their customers and told them it smelled good. That email, the finishing, and their general marketing efforts(disasterous AMA on Reddit comes to mind) has really turned me off of them.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Gotcha. I see it now. I'll have to look into it. Just found the shell wallet thread so I'll look around there. Based on what I've been reading there and the Alden thread, people have some worries about the cordovan shortage. Doesn't seem to be as prevalent for people here (on the AE thread) unless they're looking for the now depleted "unique" colors. Does AE have access to more shell than the smaller companies and is less affected by the possible shortage?

I presume AE just had much more shell in storage and perhaps a bigger allocation from Horween.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the Mitchell Leather wallet at least. I got the money clip version, and it's wonderful. I copied someone else here, honestly, and got the #8 shell with the wheat CXL interior. The color combination is just outstanding.
I think that'd be me -- glad to hear it's worked out well for you! I've been using mine daily for over a year and couldn't be happier with it; wish my #8 shoes would patina half as fast as the wallet did. Here's some shots after the first six months or so:

I am hoping that by the time my English tan Dublin Bayfields are done I can successfully convince myself to buy a matching belt from Dave Mitchell. On the other hand I can pick up a #8 shell cordovan belt from AE during the RDA sale (one more week!) for less than that. Decisions...

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that'd be me -- glad to hear it's worked out well for you! I've been using mine daily for over a year and couldn't be happier with it; wish my #8 shoes would patina half as fast as the wallet did. Here's some shots after the first six months or so:

I am hoping that by the time my English tan Dublin Bayfields are done I can successfully convince myself to buy a matching belt from Dave Mitchell. On the other hand I can pick up a #8 shell cordovan belt from AE during the RDA sale (one more week!) for less than that. Decisions...

I am wearing my dublin belt from Dave today. It is well worth the investment!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads