• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suit Up

Reaction score
Well like yourself I can count on one hand the stores within a reasonable drive that carry AE... even less with any selection.. and zero with my size. So being busy, I'd rather do my best to discern the colour from photos and then take a leap of faith vs driving an hour each way to judge the particular browness of a shoe. Bourbon by the way, is walnut that is burnished.
Well evil, if the Kenilworth Bourbon is indeed Busnished Walnut, I'll be in heaven because that's exactly what I'm looking to get! I just got a little nervous earlier when I searched Kenilworth Bourbon in google and came across this horrid greenish dark brown color...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Flokk

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with MWS (tough to disagree with MWS, though... ;-)). With all due respect to BB, the sales associates in DC are sub-par. I don't know if the regional manager is a bean-counter (and therefore overly anal about numbers, numbers, NUMBERS), but on multiple occasions, I have had to deal with either pushy, inattentive, or unknowledgeable SAs desperate to make a sale. Just last week, I went to BB on Connecticut and M, I had one SA give me a lecture on why it was important to buy "local" rather than online (the SA did not mention, however, that he earns a substantial commission on every "local" purchase--from him!). Alas, I digress from the topic of Allen Edmonds shoes, but I do think that it is worth mentioning that the DC AE store provides a far superior purchasing experience than any of the DC BB Stores (Brian at the Connecticut Ave. AE store is a total relationship type of manager. He is always calm, helpful, and earnestly believes in the product. Mike Maduka and Alex are also excellent sales associates, and their service is commendable, too.). In my experience, I have learned to stick with AE for all purchases. For me, the service, relationship building, and experience are worth more than the money saved by going to a BB sale.

Just my 2 ¢.

+1 on the Connecticut Avenue store. The service and conversation I had with Brian was impeccable. Perhaps they get so many suits/names/loaded tourists there that the salesmen are fat and happy and relaxed, which reflects on the store atmosphere and service. Whatever the case, it's an excellent little shop.

deeselcyde

Reaction score
Hi guys,
First post to the forum.

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS). I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

Is this loose stitching a defect? It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.

2. Is there too much room in the ankles? I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these. NOTE: I have very flat feet.

pudman43

Reaction score

Hi guys, First post to the forum. I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS). I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions: 1. Is this loose stitching a defect? It's consistent on both sides of both shoes. 2. Is there too much room in the ankles? I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these. NOTE: I have very flat feet.
For the love of Pete, please put some socks on! Lol. I'll let others with better fit knowledge have a go at this. J

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
socks are overrated
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK.

Last edited:

deeselcyde

Reaction score
They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?
That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad". These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own. I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel. However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad". These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own. I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel. However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.
The gap is a bit much, but if you have socks on and tighten the laces a little more it might be fine. Try that and post another pic if you can.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last. In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably. If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.

Hi guys,
First post to the forum.

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS). I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

Is this loose stitching a defect? It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.

2. Is there too much room in the ankles? I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these. NOTE: I have very flat feet.

deeselcyde

Reaction score
As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last. In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably. If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.
I received the Cliftons today and so far in the 20 minutes I've had them they are super comfortable (more comfortable than the strands I had for 2 weeks).

I'll post some pics with socks on.

deeselcyde

Reaction score

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK.
Here are some with socks. No heel slippage at all. Very comfy. Also, can anyone comment on the loose stitching from my first post?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you purchased those shoes from Nordstrom, then yes, that would be considered a defect and I would request a prompt exchange.

mkevin

Reaction score
I'm about to order a pair of the Boca Ratons off of the AE website. I haven't been able to actually try on a pair though as there isn't a store that carries them anywhere around me. I did try on both the Strand and the Clifton though (in 10D) and the Strand was too narrow but the Clifton fit well. Does anyone have experience to compare the width of the Boca Ratons with the width of either the Strand or the Clifton? Do the Boca Ratons fit similarly to either of these shoes?

Thanks!

rollinsay

Reaction score
I've got a question about sizing for the Dundees. I have a pair of McAllister on the 5 last in 10E that fit me well. Would you size the Dundees the same? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics