• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tietherope

Reaction score
My Strands came in today from the tent sale. While I could not find the issue on my Mcallisters, the errors on the Strands are easy to find. Some are small little stitching problems and some are more noticeable. As I'm very new to this, please look at the following pictures and let me know if this may cause an issue with the shoe in the future. It's on the inside and not seen when standing, but if something may go wrong structurally, I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

shartmann

Reaction score
On the matter of lumps on/in the insole, they don't always go away. Curiously I have had this problem only with 5 lasted shoes. AE has always been good about taking them back.

I agree with this. I have a pair of Fifth Avenues that had a lump under the ball of my left foot. I've worn these a lot, and the lump is still there. It's more annoying than painful so I have continued to wear them, but likely this will never go away.

Fabian43

Reaction score

My Strands came in today from the tent sale. While I could not find the issue on my Mcallisters, the errors on the Strands are easy to find. Some are small little stitching problems and some are more noticeable. As I'm very new to this, please look at the following pictures and let me know if this may cause an issue with the shoe in the future. It's on the inside and not seen when standing, but if something may go wrong structurally, I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

For me, I only buy seconds and I would not keep those. Most seconds don't have a defect that noticeable

Suit Up

Reaction score
I would have thought the shoe on the far right would be the bourbon one as well. I think he may have meant that, but just didn't word it well. I don't know for sure though. That said, I think the shoe on the far right is a pretty accurate representation of what bourbon looks like in person.
Ouch, I actually got the bourbon based on user pictures and this picture in particular since I thought far right was brown :S I only saw the walnut flatiron in person and the walnut seemed extremely light so I guess the bourbon on Kenilworth had to be the one in the picture ...

JermynStreet

Reaction score
For me, I only buy seconds and I would not keep those. Most seconds don't have a defect that noticeable
I'm sorry but I fail to see any defects here. Can you be more specific? They look fine, otherwise.

Fabian43

Reaction score

Quote: I'm sorry but I fail to see any defects here. Can you be more specific? They look fine, otherwise.
Well if that ripple near the arch doesn't bother you then I guess they are fine but for me it's unacceptable, even for seconds.

MidwestSteve

Reaction score
What color Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish is the best match for Merlot Park Avenues? I prefer a deeper/darker red color. and am leaning toward the Bordeaux color, but colors on the web can vary. Thanks.

evilWagon

Reaction score
Ouch, I actually got the bourbon based on user pictures and this picture in particular since I thought far right was brown :S I only saw the walnut flatiron in person and the walnut seemed extremely light so I guess the bourbon on Kenilworth had to be the one in the picture ...

Hmm, I agree the walnut always seems so light in some pictures that it scare me off (charcoal and royal blue corneliani suit on occasion). I have a pair of bourbon kenilworths on route... I guess I'll get to see in person.

Suit Up

Reaction score
Hmm, I agree the walnut always seems so light in some pictures that it scare me off (charcoal and royal blue corneliani suit on occasion). I have a pair of bourbon kenilworths on route... I guess I'll get to see in person.
Always hesitate on buying things without seeing and trying them firsthand and this is the exact reason why. Found a small store that actually has a walnut Kenilworth in store (half size too big) so I'll go check them out tomorrow and if they are quite dark, that would imply that the Bourbon is much darker = I'll have to call to cancel my order or something... Or hope they have a good Canada (Montreal) return policy...

None of the stores seem to carry Bourbon, bummer.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
What color Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish is the best match for Merlot Park Avenues? I prefer a deeper/darker red color. and am leaning toward the Bordeaux color, but colors on the web can vary. Thanks.

This Saphir Glossy Color Chart is a MUST for those who are investing in more than one color of Saphir color products.

Simply place the pin hole of the color over your shoes and determine the color match with accuracy.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of AE's... dark brown Neumora's. Can't wait to wear em, but with the amount of rain coming down right now it could be a few days. I bought the dark brown AE shoe polish with them, is this stuff any good? And is it worth getting leather conditioner or anything else? So far all I've done is straight polish my shoes (damp rag to clean them first), but these the first shoes I've spent more than $200 on so want to do it right.
Read this: CLICK HERE

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this. I have a pair of Fifth Avenues that had a lump under the ball of my left foot. I've worn these a lot, and the lump is still there. It's more annoying than painful so I have continued to wear them, but likely this will never go away.

Incidentally, the lumps I have encountered have been in the left shoe as well - almost every time .

evilWagon

Reaction score
Quote:
Well like yourself I can count on one hand the stores within a reasonable drive that carry AE... even less with any selection.. and zero with my size. So being busy, I'd rather do my best to discern the colour from photos and then take a leap of faith vs driving an hour each way to judge the particular browness of a shoe. Bourbon by the way, is walnut that is burnished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads