• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. I have a pair of Fifth Avenues that had a lump under the ball of my left foot. I've worn these a lot, and the lump is still there. It's more annoying than painful so I have continued to wear them, but likely this will never go away.
Incidentally, the lumps I have encountered have been in the left shoe as well - almost every time .
I purchased the last Verona in my size from the Italian collection awhile back and the left shoe had 3 bumps in the footbed. One was very large and painful so I returned them.
What color Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish is the best match for Merlot Park Avenues? I prefer a deeper/darker red color. and am leaning toward the Bordeaux color, but colors on the web can vary. Thanks.
Kirby has a chart on his website matching colors to Allen Edmonds shoes: http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/allen-edmond-shoe-polish-colors IME yes if you want a deeper red the Bordeaux would be the best match.
socks are overrated
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

LOL yep nice shot of the Patriot! I wear my brown shell Patriot's without socks too, first time in my life I have gone sockless. And now understand it.... My burgundy shell Patriot's came yesterday and are just slightly larger and fit better with socks so they will be my "dressier" loafer, which is what I wanted.
Here are some with socks. No heel slippage at all. Very comfy. Also, can anyone comment on the loose stitching from my first post?

I trim the tag ends of loose threads off with the smallest pair of fly tying scissors that I own. Being careful to not nick the leather or cut into any knots of course. Have not had any issues yet. I also am flat footed and wear the black superfeet inserts that AE sells at the stores for arch support and to help take up additional volume in the shoe. Might be worth a try.

Pastor

Reaction score

I purchased the last Verona in my size from the Italian collection awhile back and the left shoe had 3 bumps in the footbed. One was very large and painful so I returned them.
Kirby has a chart on his website matching colors to Allen Edmonds shoes: http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/allen-edmond-shoe-polish-colors IME yes if you want a deeper red the Bordeaux would be the best match. 
LOL yep nice shot of the Patriot! I wear my brown shell Patriot's without socks too, first time in my life I have gone sockless. And now understand it.... My burgundy shell Patriot's came yesterday and are just slightly larger and fit better with socks so they will be my "dressier" loafer, which is what I wanted.

While I don't go completely without socks I do like the look. This is why I started looking for loafer sock. Here is what works for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARHJTGC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the Sperry version as well but they did not work at all.

Here they are in action today (albeit on a pair of sand suede Aldens). You can't even tell I have them on.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I check in after seventeen hours and there are over a hundred new posts. This thread is nuts.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Haven't heard anything from AE yet about the burgundy shell Macneils I ordered on April 23. My checking account is just fine with that, but I'm itching to get them in the rotation.

Crazy, isn't it? I took a day off with a 20 post lead over Money Well Spent and come back to find him with a five post lead. Just sitting down now to catch up on yesterday's events.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems strange considering orders placed after that timeframe have shipped. Have you reached out to ask for a status update?

I think the delay is due to AE trying to find a horse large enough to make those size 16 gunboats that Random Adam ordered.
smile.gif

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, the lumps I have encountered have been in the left shoe as well - almost every time .

I suspect this is intentional and AE is simply testing your worthiness, along the lines of the princess and the pea.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some with socks. No heel slippage at all. Very comfy. Also, can anyone comment on the loose stitching from my first post?

I think the problem is this shoe does not fit your foot properly. It strikes me as odd to see such significant bowing on an 8 last shoe. It also looks like you have a wider foot and may have sized up in order to accommodate that.

deeselcyde

Reaction score
I trim the tag ends of loose threads off with the smallest pair of fly tying scissors that I own. Being careful to not nick the leather or cut into any knots of course. Have not had any issues yet. I also am flat footed and wear the black superfeet inserts that AE sells at the stores for arch support and to help take up additional volume in the shoe. Might be worth a try.
Do you get a pair of insoles for each shoe? Also, will they affect the breaking in of the sole? Should you break them in first and then insert the insole?

deeselcyde

Reaction score
I think the problem is this shoe does not fit your foot properly. It strikes me as odd to see such significant bowing on an 8 last shoe. It also looks like you have a wider foot and may have sized up in order to accommodate that.
I tried a 10 D and it felt too small. The problem with Nordstrom's is they only carry D width.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried a 10 D and it felt too small. The problem with Nordstrom's is they only carry D width.
It may be that the 8 last does not work for your foot due to its narrowness. I have come to this conclusion with regard to my own feet. I would do two things: (i) go to AE to get sized; and (ii) if this is your correct size, have Nordstrom exchange them for a non-defective pair. If they are the right size, then something is wrong with the shoes because it looks like they are bowing excessively while you are simply standing still and not flexing. I can only imagine how severe the bowing will be when you walk and the shoe flexes. I get some bowing in all my 5 last shoes when I walk, but not when I am just standing still.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried a 10 D and it felt too small.  The problem with Nordstrom's is they only carry D width.

To me, at least, much of the point of buying Allen Edmonds shoes is that they're available in upwards of an astonishing NINE different widths for each size. Much as some folks here might praise Nordstrom, I'm inclined to believe many salesmen would much rather sell what they have than gamble on ordering what they don't normally stock. Sure, D width is right there in the middle of the bell curve, but you might be something different.

The shoe might be quite comfortable... but a different width/length combination might be even more so, while eliminating the bowing. If it were me I'd take them back.

poena

Reaction score
I have a lot of bowing on my AE strands. They are a year old and maybe only worn about 5-10 times. I never thought anything of it until seeing these pics and realizing mine are worse.

I bought them from Nordstrom at least a year ago. Is there anything I can do at this point? :confused:

deeselcyde

Reaction score
It may be that the 8 last does not work for your foot due to its narrowness. I have come to this conclusion with regard to my own feet. I would do two things: (i) go to AE to get sized; and (ii) if this is your correct size, have Nordstrom exchange them for a non-defective pair. If they are the right size, then something is wrong with the shoes because it looks like they are bowing excessively while you are simply standing still and not flexing. I can only imagine how severe the bowing will be when you walk and the shoe flexes. I get some bowing in all my 5 last shoes when I walk, but not when I am just standing still.
I may have to make the 70 mile trek to South Coast Plaza.
I have a lot of bowing on my AE strands. They are a year old and maybe only worn about 5-10 times. I never thought anything of it until seeing these pics and realizing mine are worse.

I bought them from Nordstrom at least a year ago. Is there anything I can do at this point?
confused.gif
I've returned about 5-6 pairs of shoes in the last 5 months due to defects and improper sizing....they've never questioned me. One pair was a pair of Strands that I wore about 10 times as well. The worst they can say is NO.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Shined up my burgundy shell leeds over the weekend (well, not really shined, just brushed):

Wore my Cambridges yesterday:

Wearing my brown shell Patriots today:

jrarnold

Reaction score
Quote:
That burgundy shell is absolutely beautiful! Makes me a little jealous; wearing my burgundy calfskin Scottsdales for the first time today. I had to do a double take on your socks in the Patriots picture after are all the sockless pictures recently.

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score

I bought them from Nordstrom at least a year ago. Is there anything I can do at this point? :confused:

Nordstrom has a no questions asked return policy. Some people take advantage of it, but you can definitely return those with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads