• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't claim to be an expert on the sizing of all AE loafers, but have you tried the Wooster St? I returned the McGraw because it was way too small in my standard 9 eee size. Then bought a Wooster St (pretty much perfect fit). My other data points are the Cavanaugh (still a little tight in the toes and loose in the heel) and Sea Island (fits but feels short and my wide feet bulge out the sides, probably should have tried a size or 2 up), but they both fit well enough that I bought them.
There is a new suede Italian penny that is a very good fit if you are closer to C than D width. I tried them on the other day and so much better than any Luca. I can’t remember the name at the moment.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't claim to be an expert on the sizing of all AE loafers, but have you tried the Wooster St? I returned the McGraw because it was way too small in my standard 9 eee size. Then bought a Wooster St (pretty much perfect fit). My other data points are the Cavanaugh (still a little tight in the toes and loose in the heel) and Sea Island (fits but feels short and my wide feet bulge out the sides, probably should have tried a size or 2 up), but they both fit well enough that I bought them.
I haven't tried the Wooster St. I have two Sea Islands and an Acheson that I'll eventually sell. The Sea Islands are 9.5 EEE and all have some sort of vamp, heel or narrowness issue.

With my feet I'm just not sure if I can do a shoe without some sort of lacing system.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Wooster St. I have two Sea Islands and an Acheson that I'll eventually sell. The Sea Islands are 9.5 EEE and all have some sort of vamp, heel or narrowness issue.

With my feet I'm just not sure if I can do a shoe without some sort of lacing system.

Yeah, the Sea Islands' sole feels oddly narrow to me. Almost like the shoe has the volume for a wide foot, but the sole is a normal width.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Jazz music Lovers ---
For the first part of my life, I wore a cowboy belt with a belt buckle (They were always purchased from Mexico).
Later, I lowered my standards and began buying plastic dress belts from Kohls.
I just ordered a dress belt from AE. It may be my first sexy dress belt. We will see....

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sea Islands are my go to the pool and/or beach footwear.

Southwick

Reaction score
How do they handle water and sand? I use Boulders for beach and pool and they are incredibly resilient and easy to clean. Do you have any cleanup problems with the Sea Islands?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the Sea Islands' sole feels oddly narrow to me. Almost like the shoe has the volume for a wide foot, but the sole is a normal width.
This stupid dot Sea Island caused me to buy other Sea Islands and none of the others fit at all.
487C23AA-1F6B-416F-968E-54ABDFDC7A60.jpeg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do claim to be an expert in this area 😆

The wooster st is a very standard fitting loafer, as close to the 65 last shape as I've come across. The toe, heel etc are all what I'd call average. Normally if someone had trouble fitting into lots of stuff I'd say go there. But if the macrae works, I'm speculating the wooster wouldn't.

Interesting on the McGraw - the McGraw is like a really wide Grayson- the trouble is the taper is still there, so if you're a true EEE, chances are this will be trouble. Could work, but not sure.

Cavanaugh I'd throw out the window - it's a binary type of fit. If you luck out and you're a totally average fit (instep, heel, width) and you usually go tts, this will work, otherwise they'll be a boatload of trouble.

The Sea Island feels like the Cavanaugh but with a slight reduction in length and slight increase in toebox room. To me, I find that the 555 last is among the worst for instep. Saving grace here would be the soft, flexible unlined suede vamp.

So what would I suggest?

1. Any of the "longer" Italian builds long discontinued - Fiesole, Firenze, Capri, Positano etc. Things longer than tts, with soft flexible vamps.
2. Arezzo in EEE. Worth a try.
3. The original Lucca in suede.
4. Might try the Mercer St - kind of an oddball.

You're basically looking for a high, soft vamp with some elongation. Should be doable.

I agree with your earlier assessment though - I find the GS traveler vamp tougher than the Leo, I can't see that one working. Maybe suede if EEE was available.

One of my first AE SAs actually said I wasn't cut out to wear loafers....I bet I probably own more than anyone would own in a lifetime.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
How do they handle water and sand? I use Boulders for beach and pool and they are incredibly resilient and easy to clean. Do you have any cleanup problems with the Sea Islands?
No problems, I just let them go

I was just going to ask the same thing! I love my sea islands, but i dont seem them in the sand with some sea water... i do love my Eastport Boat Shoes they handle like tanks

Southwick

Reaction score
I was just going to ask the same thing! I love my sea islands, but i dont seem them in the sand with some sea water... i do love my Eastport Boat Shoes they handle like tanks
I feel the same way. Those Boulders are indestructible. Tanks is a good description. I'm a little nervous about wrecking the Sea Islands with sand, salt, and water. But @audog speaks from experience. So what do I know?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like mine too much to trust @audog 😂
Mine have actually been on the beach, at pools, nature trails, and a run in with an errant open mustard packet. No bad effects.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now, I know why I am on retainer. 10 new installations in the next three months. People think my shoes are way to nice to be at a Factory equipment installation. Lol. They are just Neumoks.
7DE0EC43-2625-4B48-9937-D1753938AACD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso