• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PXL_20240902_142652510~2.jpg

Casablanca / Atha / Geller / MMM

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Casablanca jacket is the 👨🏼‍🍳😘
Thanks! My two Casablanca jackets are the most exciting things I've added to my wardrobe in a long while. Looking forward to trying some new stuff with the bomber when it cools off

The dramatic silhouettes remind me of first getting into Cloak stuff in my early SF days. Particularly my SS06 safari jacket that I wore into ribbons.

400 (2).jpeg

Screenshot_20240902-125357.png

2014 Cloak fit
PXL_20240902_164120629.jpg

FW21
PXL_20240902_164400271.jpg

FW20

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! My two Casablanca jackets are the most exciting things I've added to my wardrobe in a long while. Looking forward to trying some new stuff with the bomber when it cools off

The dramatic silhouettes remind me of first getting into Cloak stuff in my early SF days. Particularly my SS06 safari jacket that I wore into ribbons.

I really love the curved diamond pattern on this one. If you don't mind, what's a good source? I just searched ebay. There's not much there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem is not who makes what you wear, it's how you understand it (more precisely, how you don't understand it), how you wear it, and how you talk about how you wear it. You can wear whatever: if you want to look like a slightly embarrassing background extra in an Interpol video then have it, you rock and roll animal. But you are mostly wearing a single designer's house style, and calling it streetwear, and it isn't; and you are calling it urban without indicating any understanding of the full dimensions of the term, restricting it to detritus of the cosplay Just Kids era; and by doing this you are erasing a lot of stuff, some of the most important parts of which are racialized. When you take up arms for streetwear and you mean Hedi you sound ignorant, using a word entirely at odds with what they are taken to mean by most people who talk about clothes. Streetwear is a lot of things, but it's basically always had wide pants (bar like a 10 year stretch post GFC, and I can still remember the relief on the faces of certain clothing store owners when they realized they could embrace the big hoody and loose khaki thing again circa 2018), it's always been Nikes and Ivy and skate and surf and milsurp repurposed, by Black kids and West Coast stoners and Japanese ex-punks with exquisite attunement to the world around them, and it was always eclectic and boho and non-uniform. The 70s CBGBs thing was always a pretty submerged (often entirely absent) piece of that mix, a silhouette much more likely to be invoked thru relatives like mod or English punk (and post punky designer stream stuff like some of the Antwerp Six, but even then it starts to feel gallery rather than corner).

It's also deeply sad that you think that this playing dress up has some kind of, I don't know, grativas? connection to place? whatever word allows me to avoid using the term authenticity? to it. Like, you do not dress NYC, you are wearing high end boutique **** that evokes a small corner of a mined out and diminished era of the city, repackaged and sold with markup after markup after markup. Precious recreations of revival clothes are not rocking the boulevard, winklepickers are not setting the roof on fire, and clothing you can't move freely in is not urban. You could own it as boutique stuff, as the play clothes of men who have money to spend, and it would be at least somewhat respectable on those terms, but you invoke the Metrocard while driving a Porsche. It lacks taste in terms of suitability, of coherence with the environment, of harmony with the actual history of clothing. It's closer to Steampunk bro cosplay than it is to streetwear, or rocker ****, or the urban environment, or whatever you else you invoke. Even when you get the pieces precisely right, the whole is always less than the sum of its parts.

So: it's depressing seeing you wear clothes, as you have no feel for the costume you wear. But it is worse reading you justifying what you wear. The Styleforum shuffle of someone posting bad fits and spending pages arguing for them being good actually is bad enough when it's someone new to taking clothing more seriously. It is so much sadder when they have been doing this for nearly two decades, currently working in a narrow style strongly defined by a specific designer, with almost unlimited funds. Every fit still bricks, each needs a ferocious defense, and you are always misunderstood. The whole thing diminishes everyone that it touches.

This is an atrocious attempt to gate-keep and reflects the worst of this group’s self-imposed, self-congratulatory insularity.

The outfits I’ve posted are essentially just t-shirt and jean combinations. How could I possibly lack the cultural education and credentials necessary to wear them and talk about them? Who is the arbiter of when someone has been sufficiently enlightened and earned the right to wear a graphic-printed, oversized t-shirt? Conveniently, you obviously believe the answer is yourself.

Sure, go on about what is and isn’t “streetwear” or “urban” in the most arbitrarily restrictive and specific ways possible. While you’re at it, even bring in the topics of race and appropriation! Whip out all the quasi-leftwing, bullsh!t virtue-signaling calling cards you want—but ultimately you’re just trying to keep the wrong types out of your clubhouse.

To everyone else: in no way am I insinuating that any of you owe me approval or praise. Hate my clothes, hate my fits. That’s your prerogative, as it is mine to care or not care. But if you agree with this guy, don’t pretend you aren’t reacting in part to protect your sub-cultural playground.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the curved diamond pattern on this one. If you don't mind, what's a good source? I just searched ebay. There's not much there.
There was a size large of the diamond jacket on grailed a month or two ago. Some good stuff pops up on Vestaire collective as well.

That said Ive gotten all of my Casablanca stuff proxied from yahoojapan or buyee.

I really like the 2020-2021 collections but think Casablanca has unfortunately lost its early magic in recent seasons. I'm luke warm on the track suits and pattern silk shirts.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
This is an atrocious attempt to gate-keep and reflects the worst of this group’s self-imposed, self-congratulatory insularity.

The outfits I’ve posted are essentially just t-shirt and jean combinations. How could I possibly lack the cultural education and credentials necessary to wear them and talk about them? Who is the arbiter of when someone has been sufficiently enlightened and earned the right to wear a graphic-printed, oversized t-shirt? Conveniently, you obviously believe the answer is yourself.

Sure, go on about what is and isn’t “streetwear” or “urban” in the most arbitrarily restrictive and specific ways possible. While you’re at it, even bring in the topics of race and appropriation! Whip out all the quasi-leftwing, bullsh!t virtue-signaling calling cards you want—but ultimately you’re just trying to keep the wrong types out of your clubhouse.

To everyone else: in no way am I insinuating that any of you owe me approval or praise. Hate my clothes, hate my fits. That’s your prerogative, as it is mine to care or not care. But if you agree with this guy, don’t pretend you aren’t reacting in part to protect your sub-cultural playground.
To be honest it reads a lot like a Derek Guy rant post.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score

If you have the taste, demonstrate it.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

i think you're looking for the stylezeitgeist forum, foost

NorCal

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You’re not for the streets, Foocilla

Matt_Nash

Reaction score

Ad hominem attacks; straw man fallacy; false dilemma; appeal to emotion; assumption of intent; lack of substantive engagement; inconsistency, and an appeal to the majority. Damn, Foo, that's a lot to pack into four paragraphs. Kinda seems like you are more affected by the criticism than you'd like to admit. It's true you're just wearing "t-shirt and jean combinations," but you're also bringing a whole lot of meow with them. Kitty truly does have claws, and I'm gonna need a band-aid.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjm90