• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell Chelsea’s have problems. Carmina did a run a while back and they supposedly had a bunch of problems with it. So I’d definitely understand AE not wanting to mess with it.

She'll doesn't go well with the elastic or the construction style, sadly. Same with shell wholecuts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea boots are rarely shell because they are made from only usually two or three large pieces of leather, and it is hard to get flawless pieces that large. That issue doesn’t exist for the Lombard because it isn’t made from just two pieces, but four smaller ones instead.

Yeah, but the problem is that shell is lasted more loosely and the elastic could cause problems.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Oh Lady Ashley @ae_ashley is probably sick of my phone calls asking if a MacNeil has landed in Charleston. (She got me blue shell Mac 2nds last summer.)

I was late to the dance with MacNeils and should have scooped up burgundy and black shells when they were still in production (though I was told that I bought the last pair of Macs in 10eee black calf in the system…)

I’ve been picking up vintage Florsheim LWBs and will probably get Alden 975s (though I can’t quite dial-in the Barrie last for shoes—boots ok) to scratch the itch…

…but a Mac MTO? I’d buy ‘em in every color. Could even have it be part of the upcoming 100 year anniversary with “Independence Collection” touches.

Also—did I hear a rumor that Jim Kass left AE?

@Vincent George - Silly question - do you call your local store looking for inventory? Does that work? I periodically check online but never considered asking my local store.

Last summer AE suddenly had stock of Macneil 2.0s. I bought a brown pebble grain with Dainite and a dark chili with the standard double leather soles.

I tried the vintage Florsheim Imperials off eBay but strugged to find the right fit. The Macneil in 9D fit me perfectly, but the vintage Imperials seem to run much larger. Nothing worse than buying a pair of vintage shoes off eBay only to find they don't fit and you are immediately reselling.

There is pretty good selection of new and gently used Macneils on eBay, though I suspect a 10eee might be harder to find.

Hadn't heard about Jim Kass. I only know him from the recrafting videos which I quite enjoy. I always thought AE should do a better job on social media of selling the recrafting the way Bedo's Leatherworks and Trenton & Heath have.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suede Strand today. V gap on this pair is big even when the shoe is not on my foot.
8D71785F-F6C6-4832-87BC-C7254BBA434E.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Lady Ashley @ae_ashley is probably sick of my phone calls asking if a MacNeil has landed in Charleston. (She got me blue shell Mac 2nds last summer.)

I was late to the dance with MacNeils and should have scooped up burgundy and black shells when they were still in production (though I was told that I bought the last pair of Macs in 10eee black calf in the system…)

I’ve been picking up vintage Florsheim LWBs and will probably get Alden 975s (though I can’t quite dial-in the Barrie last for shoes—boots ok) to scratch the itch…

…but a Mac MTO? I’d buy ‘em in every color. Could even have it be part of the upcoming 100 year anniversary with “Independence Collection” touches.

Also—did I hear a rumor that Jim Kass left AE?
I was so happy to pick of a pair of burgundy suede at the suede trunk show and then later get an unworn natural shell pair from a previous GMTO

She'll doesn't go well with the elastic or the construction style, sadly. Same with shell wholecuts.
Yeah, but the problem is that shell is lasted more loosely and the elastic could cause problems.

I’m not sure why you would say that. There isn’t anything inherent in the elastic that I can think of that can cause problems. People do shell monks and loafers all the time. Shell wholecuts are hard because of the large flawless hides needed, but the Lombard doesn’t have that issue.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Vincent George - Silly question - do you call your local store looking for inventory? Does that work? I periodically check online but never considered asking my local store.

Last summer AE suddenly had stock of Macneil 2.0s. I bought a brown pebble grain with Dainite and a dark chili with the standard double leather soles.

I tried the vintage Florsheim Imperials off eBay but strugged to find the right fit. The Macneil in 9D fit me perfectly, but the vintage Imperials seem to run much larger. Nothing worse than buying a pair of vintage shoes off eBay only to find they don't fit and you are immediately reselling.

There is pretty good selection of new and gently used Macneils on eBay, though I suspect a 10eee might be harder to find.

Hadn't heard about Jim Kass. I only know him from the recrafting videos which I quite enjoy. I always thought AE should do a better job on social media of selling the recrafting the way Bedo's Leatherworks and Trenton & Heath have.
I work a stone’s throw from my local AE. Not only do I annoy her, too, but I think I have every 10eee that they’ve received in inventory :) Most stores aren’t getting much beyond D width these days :(

For fun: here’s a side-by-side of a Florsheim 93604 and a contemporary MacNeil…I agree that vintage can be a dice roll, but when you win, you can win big.

5816839B-A1ED-420C-AB4D-D6E670A0718C.jpeg

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Warehouse sale is on!

vs

Strandmok seems to be clear favorite of the two...

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the new Canal Courts out for an extended spin last night on a mile-long walk to a local bar to meet up with guys I've been friends with since the early 70s when I dropped onto this spinning globe. Not only were they plenty comfortable on my feet, they were also really comfortable on my liver as the beer flowed way more freely than it usually does. Here they are on the bridge in the park down my street which was surprisingly devoid of bird poop and random berries for once.

Normally, I'd say that the leg hair has been growing for 49 years and 11 months, but there was a brief stretch in the late 80s when a baseball knee injury required too much tape to keep playing that it made more sense just to shave all the hair off. Once you do one leg, you kind of have to do the other, otherwise the extra weight pulls you to one side as you're flying down the base path. I mean, that's just physics at work. So, yeah, this is really more like 32 years or so of leg hair. You're welcome for the history lesson.

IMG_5254.jpg

MrOxford

Reaction score
I work a stone’s throw from my local AE. Not only do I annoy her, too, but I think I have every 10eee that they’ve received in inventory :) Most stores aren’t getting much beyond D width these days :(

For fun: here’s a side-by-side of a Florsheim 93604 and a contemporary MacNeil…I agree that vintage can be a dice roll, but when you win, you can win big.

View attachment 1633135

Order one size up. 10EEE order 11D. Sizing issue solved by ordering one size bigger.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased last week, still have not arrived, now I see they are on sale @ 30% off quite a diff.

Does anyone know the current policy on this or have exp. I know they offer free returns but would they give the diff over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads