• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score
I’ve recommended Kane 11 socks here previously. They make socks in specific sizes rather than a size range. Mine have been great.

Earlier this year, they started having some very significant sales (50% off, even up to 60% off). That seemed very unusual — they sometimes had sales, but they were less frequent and less discounted.

I took advantage of the sale and ordered several more pairs in April. They still have not shipped, I see many comments on Facebook about the company not shipping recent orders. I’ve sent three emails to inquire about my order status. I received a generic automated response from the first email, and nothing since. The company has stopped sending any email marketing (which I used to receive nearly every day). I suspect that I will never receive those socks.

The website appears to still be operational. I suggest “buyer beware” at this point.

For what it's worth, I took up yours or someone else's recommendation, and ordered on April 4th. After repeated emails, all i got back was a stock response, and I saw those same social media posts. Randomly, on May 14th, I received a ship notification, and they arrived shortly thereafter. The socks are fine, especially for $4 a pair, but if I were to order again, I would do so knowing I won't receive them for months.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I took up yours or someone else's recommendation, and ordered on April 4th. After repeated emails, all i got back was a stock response, and I saw those same social media posts. Randomly, on May 14th, I received a ship notification, and they arrived shortly thereafter. The socks are fine, especially for $4 a pair, but if I were to order again, I would do so knowing I won't receive them for months.
Well, I have an update.
I sent a third email today inquiring about the status of my order. I mentioned that it was my third attempt to find out when my order would ship. I also said that if I did not get a satisfactory response within 3 business days, I would contact my card issuer to reverse the charge. I mentioned that I didn’t want to do that — I’d rather have the socks.

I received a shipping notification tonight.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I looked this house up on our county website. It tells the year that each house was built. For this particular house, under “year built” it says “old.”
So I’m not exactly certain when it was built. I will dig into that a little more. A friend of mine thought it was built around 1860.
I did notice a large beam under the middle of the house that was actually a big log.

Might want to get a priest and make sure it's clean. I would be afraid a house that old would be haunted.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks.
I looked this house up on our county website. It tells the year that each house was built. For this particular house, under “year built” it says “old.”
So I’m not exactly certain when it was built. I will dig into that a little more. A friend of mine thought it was built around 1860.
I did notice a large beam under the middle of the house that was actually a big log.

Oh yeah. That's awesome. I was just in one of my brother's family's buildings this afternoon that's about that old. Built around the 1870s iirc. I'm not crazy about old houses mainly because of the wiring, plumbing, and insulation but they are loaded with charm. Since you're gut renovating this house it'll be a hell of a lot cooler than some modern cookie cutter house without most of the problems that you have with legacy mechanicals and such.

By the way, those log beams can fail. A few years ago my brother and I had to add some structural support to deal with one that split. This is a very large 3 story structure with massive load on it. Generally, the ones I've seen up here in CT are super robust so it was kinda crazy to see one split.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving shoe, what's the deal? Are they really made for driving? Do you then take another pair with you to change into? It's all very mysterious to me maybe because I'm not a car nut. What are your thoughts? thanks.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving shoe, what's the deal? Are they really made for driving? Do you then take another pair with you to change into? It's all very mysterious to me maybe because I'm not a car nut. What are your thoughts? thanks.
Ya know, I am an auto enthusiast who drives a high-performance automobile with an old-school 6-speed manual, and I’m all about that heel-toe. I still don’t get driving shoes.

And god help you if you think those wimpy floppy soled things are going to work with the knee-buster clutches on old school American muscle or, even worse, classic Jag’s (“No Percy, don’t worry about the bloody electrical, what’s really needed here is a heavier clutch”). Seriously, I’ve driven a few classic V12 Jag’s that require a double oak sole just to keep the clutch from snapping the top half of your foot off.

And here’s another thing: walking around NYC in driving shoes?! You might as well just find a random rusty nail, dip it in dog crap and shove it in your foot. Only flip flops are a worse idea in NYC.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just clicked on a pair of Cornwallis for $140 Memorial Day sale.
I've owned them before and it is hit and miss in regard to the finish on each individual pair.
Some are beautiful some are meh. Hope this pair is beautiful.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to finally get a pair of Vernon’s. I look forward to putting these into rotation in a few weeks.

rlIElb7.jpg

DtDnhqZ.jpg

mGPVD9n.jpg

And what I’m wearing right now:
KaQ9LEO.jpg

My 1990 Manchester beaters, which have the distinction of being the only “thirds” I own. these had a common problem with early Manchester’s, they would tear/split at the corner of the vamp. These were “fixed”, but the problem has since gotten worse. It’s too bad, because these are great fitting loafers that are otherwise beautifully made. Given what they are, I just wear the hell out of them (I got them for 25 bucks, worn maybe twice).
Those Vernons bought used?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's blast from the past Thursday. Name the style and material.

IMG_0264.JPG

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My autistic son works two jobs and lives in an apartment in town. We found a house in the area for sale. He has liked this house (from the outside) for years.

It looks like I’ve got a big project in front of me. View attachment 1616144 View attachment 1616145 View attachment 1616146 View attachment 1616147 View attachment 1616148

Well, that looks like a ton of work and a ton of fun to bring your son a ton of joy. It is time and money well spent. Congrats on the project and can't wait to see the final results.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sonnet #8

Shell I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.

Temperature dropped 30+ degrees, so I'm back in the old favorites. Missed wearing the shell Higgins, so they got the first call.

IMG_5175.jpg

Spent some time over the weekend re-doing a cedar bench and patio table I built 3 years ago, when I first started farting around with woodworking. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to put a marine spar urethane finish on cedar in the hopes that it would stay looking great and non-grayed for about 5 years or so. What an idiot I was. Started looking like junk roughly 18 months in and I couldn't stand the thought of looking at that trash for another season. Took about 8 hours with some 40-grit paper on the random orbital sander to get 95% of the finish off. The lesson (besides the one about me being an idiot) is that I should have bought a belt sander and gone that route. Now that the hard work is done, I can go through the progressive grits to smooth everything back out before putting a more appropriate finish on both and hopefully enjoy it for longer this go-round.

Oh, and I know Citizen gets a rightly deserved reputation for ugly watch designs, but I think the Promaster Diver in navy is an exception. Plus, it's scratching the blue dive watch itch while I keep stashing away a few dollars at a time for an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, which I can't justify purchasing while lil' Donkey heads off to her first semester of college in the fall.

IMG_5176.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads