• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's a so-so sale. Just a few models that are discounted. The best AE sales are the anniversary or the Rediscover america sale IMO. I also like those "flash" sales that are usually announced on a Friday and they discount everything by 25% or so over the weekend. Those are hard to predict. You have to haunt this forum to find when these are going on.

When are the rediscover america and the anniversary sales?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have an "AE Family?" In other words, these are the folks that you've introduced to the brand. My AE Family consists of four descendants, all children (figuratively, within the context of this analogy only), no grandchildren... yet! You know the only thing any parent wants is grandchildren. Anyway, here they are with current collection info:

1. Friend #1, rainmaker for an earthy non-profit (6, down from 7): Chili MacNeil 2.0, Tan Grain MacNeil (last year web gem, now on Dainite because of multiple issues with shoddy original sole), Brown Grain MacNeil, Chocolate Suede Brooks MacNeil (assist by yours truly and subsequently partially to blame for my own current desire), Merlot Fifth Avenue (his "Always Be Closing" shoe), Walnut Strand, Oxblood Leeds 2.0 (returned & refunded after multiple finish issues and new pair(s)), a couple belts. Rainmaker for non-profit org.

2. Cousin, financial analyst (2): Black Park Ave, Brown Park Ave

3. Friend #2, IT guy (1): Black Academies.

4. Boss, IT manager (4 at the moment): Olive Strandmok, Brown Kudu Neumok 2.0, Merlot Jefferson 2.0, Brown Grain Long Branch. I won't cover the returned shoes. Let's say a lot. He's playin' hard. (Tie-in to $25 restocking fee? Maybe.) :)

I will say hello now to "Friend #1" and "Boss" as they are lurkers. Perhaps we'll see them here some day.

I'm only working one other lead right now (we'll call him "Friend #3"), super casually. He really doesn't think he has much need for fine footwear as he does mostly freelance web development stuff, but we all know better. Okay, also casually influencing a second lead ("Colleague #1") who has his own style, but I feel is being slowly turned.

It's interesting to see how their collections are also appropriate to their lines of work/lifestyles. I'll take a little credit for that though "Friend #1" needs no help from me in that area. Anyway, if you add them up, we get thirteen pair(s). Add to to that my own and we're up to thirty-three in total. That's my contribution to the AE bottom line.

What about you?
My actual children just take the ones that they like. Mom tells them, why buy expensive shoes. Dad has more than he can wear. I had one business associate from Australia ask me about my shoes. After we concluded our business I took him to the Oak Brook store and he got three pairs. MacNeil, Randolph and a boot. Don’t remember which though. Most of the people at work just look at me like I have three heads when they find out what the retail cost is. Hell they even think RDA prices are too high.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do they usually have factory seconds on sale on Black Friday?
Truthfully I don’t recall Black Friday being a big sales day for them. They’ve done two years now of Black Friday specials that were limited releases. Some were good some were... not.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My actual children just take the ones that they like. Mom tells them, why buy expensive shoes. Dad has more than he can wear. I had one business associate from Australia ask me about my shoes. After we concluded our business I took him to the Oak Brook store and he got three pairs. MacNeil, Randolph and a boot. Don’t remember which though. Most of the people at work just look at me like I have three heads when they find out what the retail cost is. Hell they even think RDA prices are too high.
I have long since abandoned trying to convince anyone why you’d buy a pair that retails over $100 muchless $400-$900. I get these shocked looks and it’s not worth explaining it. They either get it or they don’t. Meanwhile they will spend $150 on a pair of Nike whatevers as if it were a good investment.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are correct. I have them always ship to a store. Not sure how that really changes the fee structure.
My understanding be the store ordered them, not you. They brought them into their inventory. Once in their hands, it's their discretion on how to charge you.
If they ship straight to you it never hits their inventory, so it's a typical shoe bank sale.
That's my take anyway.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got some brushing to do tonight! Using shoes inappropriately results in work...

20171109_175347.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double tapped my days since last purchase counter.

I like the natty CXL a lot more than I thought I would; love the two-tone-ness of it. I really like the suede tongue too.

The Fifth St. are better in person; I don't even mind the caps. Sounds like we've been a bit aggressive with our MTO ideas, but when I get a chance I'm chasing a plain cap toe brown shell version...

20171109_181043.jpg

20171109_183108.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double tapped my days since last purchase counter.

I like the natty CXL a lot more than I thought I would; love the two-tone-ness of it. I really like the suede tongue too.

The Fifth St. are better in person; I don't even mind the caps. Sounds like we've been a bit aggressive with our MTO ideas, but when I get a chance I'm chasing a plain cap toe brown shell version...

View attachment 872957

View attachment 872958
Fifth Street is my idea of a true dress boot.

rostov

Reaction score
FYI... I'm offloading ALMOST ALL of my Allen Edmond shoes. Nothing wrong with the shoes, they're just not my style anymore.

Because the sale thread doesn't let me list multiple items, I'm just giving a heads-up here. Send me PMs

Here's what I have, all in 10.5 3E unless stated otherwise:

- MacNeils in burgundy cordovan in great condition (were already second-hand from @peppercorn78)
- Eagle County in Brown Grain, forum MTO
- Eagle County in Oxblood, forum MTO (with some small tearing at the ankle... I can take pics later)
- Strand in brogue suede with Danite sole
- Strand in walnut grain in 11 E recently resoled with vthread (maybe not worn since resoling?)
- Black 5th Avenue (worn once!) in 11 E
- Gobi snuff suede
- Patriots in burgundy calf with vthread
- Shreeveport in walnut calf
- Ridgeway ... beautiful leather with a horrendous orange welt!
- Ashbury with distressed leather. My first AE shoes. A bit of a mistake. New heels.

CC @peppercorn78 because I know you wear my size!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads