• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah if i were doing shell it wouldn't be the truman aesthetic. For a .ore rugged type boot, and one that's half the price of their shell offering, i like the kudu they were selling. Waiting sucks. :hide:

I regret not going and checking them out in person back when they were in Pennsylvania. And yes, the kudu looks awesome.

Whatever the wait, I can't imagine it was as long as the wait on my service boots from Dayton. Though it was SOOOOO worth it.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When people say "the Alden exotic game is too tough to break into so I won't buy from them" it makes me sad but also somewhat happy in that there's less competition for me... :)

Well, I'm not exactly a collector like you are, my man! If I have a few different styles in a few different colors (shell calf or suede) to go with my outfits, I'm all good. For light color shell, I've got two different PTBS (whiskey and cognac), a chukka (natty), and cap toe boot (bourbon), so I think I'm all set there.

I could get something else in a mid or dark brown, I suppose. Though I do have plenty of options in suede and calf/cow.

Seriously, if I get on a list for cigar now, let's say it takes 2 years to get made. By then with annual price increases it'll cost me way more than Im willing to spend on an Alden.

In other words, I finally received my all time unicorn, so I'm in a heightened state of contentedness. More deets in the JL thread :cheers:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I'm not exactly a collector like you are, my man! If I have a few different styles in a few different colors (shell calf or suede) to go with my outfits, I'm all good. For light color shell, I've got two different PTBS (whiskey and cognac), a chukka (natty), and cap toe boot (bourbon), so I think I'm all set there.

I could get something else in a mid or dark brown, I suppose. Though I do have plenty of options in suede and calf/cow.

Seriously, if I get on a list for cigar now, let's say it takes 2 years to get made. By then with annual price increases it'll cost me way more than Im willing to spend on an Alden.

In other words, I finally received my all time unicorn, so I'm in a heightened state of contentedness. More deets in the JL thread :cheers:

Link to the JL thread?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 782902 Black Friday MacNeils with tan gabs and tan socks (do people wear tan socks nowadays? *shrugs*). This pic gives me a "khakis & brown shoes" vibe; something I saw many times while I was in training, worn by officers & chiefs from the other sea service. @Cold Iron (who I'm guessing was an engineer) knows of what I speak.

I'd be a brown shoe if I had joined that service (probably driving P-3s, collecting Marriot points), so feel comfortable rocking that vibe.
Yes my good sir you are correct, in more ways than one!

So one of the gentleman that I hunt with in SD for phez is a retired Navy Chaplin and served the CG, Navy and Marines that is how it works. He opened Congress in prayer several times and don't want some dick weed to turn this into some political Nazi commentary. His father was 18 when he hit the first attack on Okinawa. And Doug took him on the honor flight to DC a couple of weeks ago. And had to ask me how my faith was doing, the bastage...

doug and dad.JPG

Doug says that I am personable unlike the rest of the group that consist of Engineers. Hey watch it what do you think I was?! And am. But I understand what he is saying..

Took the Coral Sea around the world in 83. Johns dad was the last surviving officer of the Arizona and laid to rest with the rest of his men not long ago when he reached the age of 100.

23727255355_c243631da4_c.jpg

Some things are more important than shoes and socks. And you realize that as do a few others on here. And a tip of my hat to you good sir!

MRI tomorrow to see if they can figure out what is wrong with my spine and sciatic nerve after 7 months. Where do I start...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 782902 Black Friday MacNeils with tan gabs and tan socks (do people wear tan socks nowadays? *shrugs*). This pic gives me a "khakis & brown shoes" vibe; something I saw many times while I was in training, worn by officers & chiefs from the other sea service. @Cold Iron (who I'm guessing was an engineer) knows of what I speak.

I'd be a brown shoe if I had joined that service (probably driving P-3s, collecting Marriot points), so feel comfortable rocking that vibe.
Well crap forgot to mention what I first thought when I saw your picture. I like it, and a lot! PTB's and classic McNeils will get you though a lot in life. Shell Cambridge in Burgundy if you feel the need is on the horizon to kick someones arse. And for the most formal occasions black shell PA of course. But have never felt out of place wearing my Dundee Chukkas or Leeds especially in black or burgundy as far as that goes. But I really feel empowered wearing the McNeil no matter what the occasion. And no no one has arrested me yet for wearing them. Especially wearing gab trousers :) Very well done IMO!

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

Pretty sweet unicorns!

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doug took him on the honor flight to DC a couple of weeks ago.

One of the benefits of being near DC (and about 10 minutes from BWI) is that I get to be a Guardian for the Honor Flights when they come in. Not all, obviously, as I still have mission to sit in on from time to time. :hide:

But I've probably been lucky enough to do maybe 40-50 of them over the years. No shortage of badasses in that bunch, that's for sure. Had one with a couple Marines who were on Iwo Jima together, hadn't really been in touch since the war, only to find out they'd ended up about 50 miles away from each other in Ohio. Came out together, and when they got to the IJ memorial, they decided (at 88 and 91 years of age, mind you) they wanted to have a foot race around the memorial to see who was the better man.

Nothing has made me more nervous in my life. But what were we gonna do, tell them no?

Edit: Finally found this on my photobucket (I really need to get the rest of my stuff off there....ugh the ads now). Some folks will get it. The rest.....you'll just have to google why "Airman Snuffy" is a unicorn to find in the wild. :hide:

20140426_111432_zps66932e87.JPG

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Such a great make up. I wish AE had taken more cues from the GTMO/MTO community back then.

I mean, the First Avenue was basically introduced in response to all the SF Eagle County GMTOs. I recall Paul used to post here (or the MTO thread) from time to time and express appreciation for all the interesting designs we came up with.

I still think that the Tan Dublin Long Branch GMTO was the best design we ever made -- AE should really make that a standard offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads