• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several members have mentioned Ask Andy as an alternative site while changes are being made. I have been there several times but I can't seem to understand or find decent threads that would approximate our AE thread. Any specific thread names or locations on AAAC would be appreciated.

I was on there earlier and thought the exact same thing.

Jackboot

Reaction score
All right, fellow barnweasels, I need some non-AE help here regarding boots.
<snip>
Not looking for anything super-stylish or super-expensive. Just a decent, midrange pair of steel-toe work boots that won't kill my feet before breaking in.

I don't know if these are out of your price range, but Thorogood makes very nice work boots in the USA for less than $200. Nice pullup leather.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=thorogood+safety&rh=i:aps,k:thorogood+safety
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=thorogood+safety&rh=i:aps,k:thorogood+safety

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if these are out of your price range, but Thorogood makes very nice work boots in the USA for less than $200. Nice pullup leather.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=thorogood+safety&rh=i:aps,k:thorogood+safety

Originally, I was looking to spend in the $125-$150 range. But, I've been leaning towards Thorogood for the made in the USA factor, their durability, plus they're pretty good looking. So, if I've got to bump it up closer to $200, I probably will.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, of course my addictive personality couldn't hold out. Test drove a 4 cyl 3 series, a 4 cyl 5 series, and a 6 cyl 5 series. Then found my new baby (not officially yet, but I will own a 350 f sport with the red interior.)

Some shots from today:

IMG_20170424_123830.jpg

IMG_20170424_151311.jpg

IMG_20170424_154059.jpg

eagleman

Reaction score
Several members have mentioned Ask Andy as an alternative site while changes are being made. I have been there several times but I can't seem to understand or find decent threads that would approximate our AE thread. Any specific thread names or locations on AAAC would be appreciated.
I have been there several times as well. Seems like a waste of time there.

eagleman

Reaction score
Welp, of course my addictive personality couldn't hold out. Test drove a 4 cyl 3 series, a 4 cyl 5 series, and a 6 cyl 5 series. Then found my new baby (not officially yet, but I will own a 350 f sport with the red interior.)

Some shots from today:
Great choice.

AMiller31

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the factory 2nds McCallisters in Bourbon for $159. That seems like a fantastic price. I can't wait to see them when they arrive. They're V-Treads, too, which is my preference given my job and what I typically wear them for. I'm really looking forward to the bourbon color.

I'm so tempted to buy some factory 2nd Sea Islands, too. I typically wear an 11, but think I might have to drop to 10.5. I have until 8pm Ohio time to make that decision. Ughhhh.

Also, Shoe Trees were $12.50 each. Great deal, I thought.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some shots from today:

I must say that my next purchase will be 6 cyl. After having g35 6speed I now have an A5 automatic. I love the car but S5 is what I should have purchased in manual before they had vanished. AWD vs RWD is an improvement for driving in the rain down here though.

Agree with the poster above AAAC doesn't appear to have a thread comparable to this one so I'm crossing my fingers that this will return to full functionality (within the new platform). If it doesn't... my productivity levels will probably increase and my AE purchases will probably decrease. Maybe.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to post over in Andyland Until I discovered (accidentally) that it was a coven of Dianaphiles when I received a warning (with threats of suspension) from one of the Mods for daring to say something less than flattering (but completely true) about the late Princess Of Wales (who I disliked at first sight, who certainly was no Queen Alexandra, and although she ate the Queen's salt, was disloyal).

On a totally different subject, wearing walnut Strands today.

P1090519 2.JPG

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been there several times as well. Seems like a waste of time there.

Posted a few shoe pics there while I was in NYC and SF was down. got several very disrespectful PM's belittling me about the photo quality, the fact i had other clothing involved (full shots not just a closeup of shoes).....quite the turn-off. done with it.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hang in there barnweasles it is getting better here and will only continue to do so IMO.

There isn't any dedicated threads there. Have posted occasionally there and read hundreds of threads. But only have checked it out a few times in the last few years and appears the same dry place to me. There is someone on this thread that posts often on there and does a great job however.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to post over in Andyland Until I discovered (accidentally) that it was a coven of Dianaphiles when I received a warning (with threats of suspension) from one of the Mods for daring to say something less than flattering (but completely true) about the late Princess Of Wales (who I disliked at first sight, who certainly was no Queen Alexandra, and although she ate the Queen's salt, was disloyal).

On a totally different subject, wearing walnut Strands today.

View attachment 135641
And I bet I know exactly who you are talking about Roy. Agree.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never posted over at Andy's, but I did register I think. To begin with, I don't like the way the site looks. It just strikes me as depressing. Secondly, there are a few people over there that post a lot of very negative responses about AE. I occasionally like to visit that site to see old threads and pictures, but I prefer this place.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right, fellow barnweasels, I need some non-AE help here regarding boots.

I've had a cheapo pair of steel-toe workboots for a number of years that are coming to the end of their useful cycle. I don't wear them real often, but there are times when I put them through marginally tough stuff: felling trees, landscaping, auto repairs, construction, wood work, etc. I'm going to be putting in a fence along the back of my yard in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to have something better in place when I'm auguring post holes.

So, I'm looking for a decent pair of 6" work boots. I don't need the Cadillac of boots, but I do need something that will break in easily, hold up, and can handle getting dirty/greasy/oily a.f. sometimes. I definitely need steel-toed capabilities, given the extensive physical damage I've already done to one of my feet (basically had about 1/3 of my right foot ripped right down to the bone).

Not looking for anything super-stylish or super-expensive. Just a decent, midrange pair of steel-toe work boots that won't kill my feet before breaking in.

Of course there is Red Wing. Not the heritage line on here but Red Wing is the main workboot in these parts. They are expensive but I know many that wear them for the support they give. And Wolverine who manufactured at least a million shell work boots in the day but now has to use AE to do so. But their work boots are still popular again not the heritage line on here. I consider them secondary to Red Wing.

Being in Chicago take a look at composite toe boots instead of steel much warmer in cold weather and still provide protection. I used to run a chainsaw wearing sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt and maybe sunglasses. Then again so did everyone. Now I wear steel toe boots, chaps and helmet with face shield.

Last edited:

JD123

Reaction score
They are rough but try taking some cordovan cream or renovateur over it then brush. Might end up with a nice product there.
Yes -- considering those dark stains are on the heel, I would be okay with that. My heels always get scratched and dinged anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal to me. The front of those looks good for being seconds.

Thank you. I'm on the fence on them. Might try to sub them out for a different pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads