• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveCPA

Reaction score
So my first two purchases have been Fifth Avenues (black) and Strands (Walnut). I work in bank consulting/audit and I wear a suit about 25% of the time. The other portion is dress slacks and a shirt. I generally work in casual environments, so I can actually wear the strands with a light colored suit and it works.

With that said, what should the next purchase be? I've thought about going to the burgundy route, but I'm afraid that might be a tad too formal for a shirt and slacks day. What say you, gents?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1278_zpshujwbio0.jpg
What do you guys think? Fit or doesn't fit? How much space should be there?

What are we looking at here?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my first two purchases have been Fifth Avenues (black) and Strands (Walnut). I work in bank consulting/audit and I wear a suit about 25% of the time. The other portion is dress slacks and a shirt. I generally work in casual environments, so I can actually wear the strands with a light colored suit and it works.

With that said, what should the next purchase be? I've thought about going to the burgundy route, but I'm afraid that might be a tad too formal for a shirt and slacks day. What say you, gents?

The burgundy/merlot/oxblood, #8, etc are great colors and I wear them all the time with various dress pants, chinos and jeans. To me, the bigger issue is the style of shoe rather than the color. I would not wear a merlot Park Ave with khakis or jeans. Wear an appropriate style and then have fun with the colors.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are we looking at here?

Yes, the closure is close, but not a deal breaker for me. It DOES look loose around the throat of the shoe. If true, it is too large. The misaligned eyelets are not a fit issue per se.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you thought about dark chili? I think it's pretty versatile. Maybe in a full brogue, cornwallis or carlyle?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy Carlisle Landed! Thoughts? Navy with Natural Welt and edges.

I love the navy shell or CXL with natural edges. I coveted them for the past year and now I have two. CXL on top and shell on the bottom. Yes, they is somewhat redundant. I got the CXL first when I could snag them new at an amazing price to satisfy my real desire for the shell version. Then the shell version came along. Now I have both and I just don't care.

IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1695 2.jpg

DaveCPA

Reaction score
Have you thought about dark chili? I think it's pretty versatile. Maybe in a full brogue, cornwallis or carlyle?

Have considered the McAllister and Yorktown. The Carlyle doesn't do much for me.

AMiller31

Reaction score
I need some eBay advice here... When you are looking at shoes from "the favorite ebay seller" do you typically make offers? How much success do you have at offering lower? Thanks for your advice.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need some eBay advice here... When you are looking at shoes from "the favorite ebay seller" do you typically make offers? How much success do you have at offering lower? Thanks for your advice.

Always make an offer as opposed to the asking price. He will frequently take 60%. You can start a little lower, but he is not hard to deal with.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't, please use flickr. Photobucket is ATROCIOUS now with all their pop-up ads, and the scripts they run in the background and spyware they put on your machine. Use flickr or imgur or something....anything other than photobucket.

All of you talking about using photobucket go back and read this, it is true. I still have lots of images on photobucket that I am moving to Flickr but will only do it when connected through the firewall at work. Which is setup to stop a Chinese mainframe, or at least slow it down. And it is constantly blocking pops up on photobucket.

This is not an upgrade it is a downgrade and reminds me of First Class BBS back in the day. WTF? And chrome is horrible for me here compared to the other site hell might have to go back to Internet Exploder, ugh. And what is up the database connection I will click on next page and it stalls more times than not. Believe me with the processing power and networking on the client end here it isn't on this side. Did I say Ugh?

AMiller31

Reaction score
I need some more advice. I'm looking at the Higgins Mill on ebay and I only have AE shoes on the 65 Last so far. But, the Higgins Mill is on the 1575. I wear 11D on the 65 Last, but I guess I need some help on the 1575 vs. 65 Lasts.

I'm about an hour away from my closest Allen Edmonds store and probably won't make a trip to get sized for that.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1278_zpshujwbio0.jpg
What do you guys think? Fit or doesn't fit? How much space should be there?

They look a little big if they're new. When the footbed settles you might not be able to secure them unless you're wearing something like this:

darn_tough_hike-trek_merino-wool_mountainerring-extra-cushion-smoke_mini_3.jpg

Don't seem like they'd be appropriate for most Texas weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads