• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middlife

Reaction score
IMO the flat laces really improve the look of the boots. They might technically decrease their formality level, but it increases their attractiveness.
Flat laces are the equivalent of low cut tops for women.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering how it was constructed under the heel and if it was just lack of glue and if I just put some glue in there and let it dry.

Oh and yes AE will re-craft them no issue it is just the warranty claim that they refuse to handle.
I'm not too far off your proportions (40-42S depending on make/cut, and 32x30). I have a bear of a time finding a good suit OTR to get tailored.

Fellas. Spier and MacKay.

Go forth and be superawesome
2122.png

Middlife

Reaction score
Can you bring Neo1 out of hibernation?
Leave him be to him complete his hallucinogenic-fueled "vision quest" (Silicon Valley anyone?) so that when he returns, he can update us on the specifics of the trunk show!

garland

Reaction score
I was kinda wondering how it was constructed under the heel and if it was just lack of glue and if I just put some glue in there and let it dry.

Oh and yes AE will re-craft them no issue it is just the warranty claim that they refuse to handle.

The heel stack is glued and nailed down. You could try some cement in there and try to find a way to apply pressure to that joint for 24 hours or so. More than likely, the nails on that heel didn't get close enough to the lip, allowing for some gap from flexing. the heel on my first ave boots does the same thing.

If it makes you feel better, I worked for AE for over two years, sold thousands of shoes, and entered hundreds of recrafts. I can say that I saw a heel completely separate at the stack maybe 2-3 times.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals! For those shell wearers, I thought I would give a thumbs-up report on the purchase of a deer bone for the smoothing of shell wrinkles on the vamp. Even though it is reportedly infused with magical oils, waxes and elixirs that are good for the leather, I found it to work better with just a drop of Bick 4 as a lubricant. It did a nice job of reducing the shell rolls on two different pairs, one of which I am wearing today. The rolls are still visible, but they are reduced in size. As these shoes are 25 years old, I will be curious to see if repeated smoothing produces additional benefit.

lodemia

Reaction score
No advice from anyone?

Or it could be some opinions are right that posts about actual shoe issues and people asking for advice get lost with the 100's of post and pages of Non-shoe nonsense post.

I am sure someone will post something smart that has nothing to do with shoes or AE because of my post here. I joined this forum last year and it was mostly on point I agree lately half the content has nothing to do with shoes or AE and I see many post asking for help get buried behind post that belong on Facebook or Twitter not a forum for AE and shoe help and advice. The fact that no one posted advice to me and my post was quickly behind pages of non shoe content is proof this forum could be better with less non-shoe post.

Based on the post lately I am sure I will be crucified for asking that we get on topic. I know I and others have posted that logging in to see over 50+ post in the past several hours when half have nothing to do with shoes is getting old. I can go to Facebook or Twitter for that content.
Let me begin with an apology for not responding. Please forgive us for not responding in a timely manner.

I have my opinion, but it's simply that, my opinion. My opinion is that if you have the slightest feeling of remorse (which you appear to), return them while you still can. It would gnaw at me every time I put them on.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look so much better in person!  Might need to get some of those..

I found these to look awful online but when I was in store I thought they looked really nice. I don't know that I'd wear them enough to justify purchasing. According to my spreadsheet I have not worn my blue strands nearly as much as I thought I would. Blue neumoks, McT, Mojave, grain kenwoods for bb, and sea islands have not received much wear in the last 4 months either.

Last edited:

lodemia

Reaction score

I found these to look awful online but when I was in store I thought they looked really nice. I don't know that I'd wear them enough to justify purchasing. According to my spreadsheet I have not worn my blue strands nearly as much as I thought I would. Blue neumoks, McT, Mojave, grain kenwoods for bb, and sea islands have not received much wear in the last 4 months either.

I guess maybe that's part of the appeal to me. Quite unique. I travel a lot and take 3 pairs of shoes to rotate.

Last edited:

Biggquis

Reaction score

Wearing some good looking Walnut Strands today. Some grey BR chinos. New Allen Edmonds red/white/blue/black checked button down with a navy Nautica sweater. Looking pretty fly for a white guy. Ordered some new selvedge last night. Still deciding on a pair of First Aves and need help finding an AE double flap briefcase.

I hope this is acceptable under the new regime of post topic police. :)

Those shoes look great on YOUR feet ;)

roz77

Reaction score

These look better in this pic than they do on the website.  They really do look sharp.

You're making me think twice about picking up another Strand.  :-(

Or should I say :)

Do it. I have two (Walnut and Dark Brown) and plan on getting two more in Oxblood and Midnight Navy at some point this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members