• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middlife

Reaction score
Ok, one more question - thanks again for all the help so far.

Should I be thinking about burnished brown Strands instead of merlot/chili/oxblood right now? To recap, I've got black PAs, bourbon Fifth Avenues, and walnut Strands already. I wear them with gray (various shades) and blue (navy and a bit lighter) trousers.

Thanks!

Yes, that would change my answer, but probably to something like:
- wait for a sale on the chili McA
- consider a merlot McA (I think this is still an option but haven't checked)

I don't see a good reason to pay full price for a (non-MTO) AE shoe at this point; they have moved to a model of frequent sales, and I interpret this as meaning they don't intend for full price to be the actual sale price.
Don't get me wrong, I love the strand and have a couple myself. With one major exception, I generally avoid multiples of one style, because I think one of he colors will generally trump the other. I just got shell stands during the tent sale and have a feeling my walnut pair will not often be in the rotation.

However, that's me - if you think you would wear the Merlot strands frequently, the real answer is:
- Merlot strand now
- Chili McA later
- Brown shell strand even later

There's really no use fighting it.

Last edited:

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
I have a Brannock size question. I finally made it to an Allen Edmonds retail store after buying several pairs through the Shoe Bank. I've always had trouble getting dress shoes to fit me properly. I drive my wife crazy sometimes trying different shoes on at stores. I think I found the reason I have problems though. My right foot measured 9.5C heel to toe, but 11.5C heel to ball. My left foot was 10C and 12A respectively. He said I have short toes and flat feet? I wanted to try on the 5-last since I've always been afraid to buy them. The most comfortable for me was 10C. I have 7 and 8 last shoes in 10D that are mostly comfortable. The laces draw almost completely shut though. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Brannock size question. I finally made it to an Allen Edmonds retail store after buying several pairs through the Shoe Bank. I've always had trouble getting dress shoes to fit me properly. I drive my wife crazy sometimes trying different shoes on at stores. I think I found the reason I have problems though. My right foot measured 9.5C heel to toe, but 11.5C heel to ball. My left foot was 10C and 12A respectively. He said I have short toes and flat feet? I wanted to try on the 5-last since I've always been afraid to buy them. The most comfortable for me was 10C. I have 7 and 8 last shoes in 10D that are mostly comfortable. The laces draw almost completely shut though. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Based on what you've said, I would try 9.5 E or 10.5 D (try C too) on the 65 last. I wear 8 D in 90% of of my AE shoes, but wear 8.5 D in my Park Aves.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

So 10C in the 65 Last fit you comfortably and the only concern is the v-gap is almost completely closed? Sounds like the right fit to me and v-gap at least for me varies per shoe on the 65 last. my strands fit different from my PAs same goes for my 5th aves. Strands seem to be the widest v-gap of the 3 for me anyway.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
I tried 10.5D (lace gap completely closed, also gapped around ankle when I walked), 10D (lace gap almost completely closed, gapped around ankle), 10C (slight gap around laces - enough that it would still be fine after slight stretching, no ankle gap), and 10B (really hard to get on, huge lace gap). Looks like 10C is it for the 5-last. I was really curious if the big difference in the Brannock measurements was common?

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried 10.5D (lace gap completely closed, also gapped around ankle when I walked), 10D (lace gap almost completely closed, gapped around ankle), 10C (slight gap around laces - enough that it would still be fine after slight stretching, no ankle gap), and 10B (really hard to get on, huge lace gap). Looks like 10C is it for the 5-last. I was really curious if the big difference in the Brannock measurements was common?
Yes, I think that's somewhat normal. I have a foot that is roughly 1/2 size longer and wider than the other. Makes loafers extremely difficult to fit.

David Copeland

Reaction score
ONCE AGAIN . . . 35% OFF Anniversary Sale starting as early as July 14th at Nordstrom's!

PLUS, if you do not already have their free rewards card, get it today and receive another $10.00 OFF your sale order.

The Rewards Card is also a free "debit card" with no credit check. Use it to get points and rewards and early access to sales, and the charge amount is simply deducted from your checking account.

Here are some pictures to see a small collection of what's going on sale:

Again . . . some early prices shown are not going to be as great as the expected whopping 35% OFF sale coming.

All my best,

David

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For reference, I paid $258 for walnut Strands during the sale last year.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Quick question to everyone. Is it normal for a pair of AE shoes to cause blisters in the back of your ankles after the first wear? The shoes feel good and I'm sure they're the right fit. I have 6 other pairs of AE shoes/boots and those felt good during the first wear...
I'm not sure if anyone answered your question . . . but my answer should be "no blisters". If you buy at Nordstroms, make sure you call ahead of time to ask when the AE manager is on duty. He/she will have vast experience in a proper fit. Otherwise, return the shoes immediately with free shipping. AE factory also haves free returns.

All my best,

David

The Kennedy Style

Gutter736

Reaction score
It's my Friday today, so a maiden voyage for the Bainbridge today. Wow these are really comfy. The Apache leather is extremely soft. I see that they are in the Nordstrom ad posted here too! I will be interested to see what the price on these is going to be there.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On occasion I will sell a pair or two on Ebay. This experience allows me to pass on some of the "Ebay insider trade secrets" I have collected. This week is another Ebay product photo tip. When selling shoes, it is generally best to actually insert a picture of the shoes, as opposed to just the end of the box in which they came. Don't pass this wisdom on to non-forum members because tips like this are super secret.
fing02[1].gif

aj805

Reaction score
Re: Nordstrom's sale-- I noticed those Acorn Neumoks have been at that same (sale) price for a while.

It's almost like there's always a sale going on with retailers!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On occasion I will sell a pair or two on Ebay. This experience allows me to pass on some of the "Ebay insider trade secrets" I have collected. This week is another Ebay product photo tip. When selling shoes, it is generally best to actually insert a picture of the shoes, as opposed to just the end of the box in which they came. Don't pass this wisdom on to non-forum members because tips like this are super secret.
fing02[1].gif

Nah, this person appreciates and understands the beauty of mystery in life. I've seen mystery boxes sell on ebay for over $1000.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Nordstrom's sale-- I noticed those Acorn Neumoks have been at that same (sale) price for a while.

It's almost like there's always a sale going on with retailers!
I think those were from last years Anniversary sale. I was a n00b then, so I'm not 100% positive on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads