• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

frosejr

Reaction score
I saw these online somewhere recently, anyone know the backstory? Similar to the shortwings?

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw these online somewhere recently, anyone know the backstory? Similar to the shortwings?

Web gem MacNeil. Done for the Olympics a few years back. They also did a Strand, McAllister (I own it) and a Hampton.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Odd, I never would have associated a split toe blucher like the Delray or Lasalle with "old man shoes."  That description, I would think, would fit more in line with any of the cap toe bluchers like the FA/PA (not that I agree with that), or certainly some of the orthopedic looking walking shoes like the Voyager.

I don't think of them as old man shoes, either, but I'm gun-shy now because if she doesn't like them, I don't get to keep them! Only reason I haven't bought some real shitkickers yet, either. On the bright side, she seems to like cordovan...

frosejr

Reaction score

Web gem MacNeil.  Done for the Olympics a few years back.  They also did a Strand, McAllister (I own it) and a Hampton.

OMG I'm sorry I missed these. They'd be gorgeous in any of the styles you listed.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think of them as old man shoes, either, but I'm gun-shy now because if she doesn't like them, I don't get to keep them! Only reason I haven't bought some real shitkickers yet, either. On the bright side, she seems to like cordovan...

If she got in a time machine and saw a young Robert Redford or Paul Newman wearing them she wouldn't call them old man shoes. They're just shoes that were worn by men who are now old.
You just have to do things like, win World War II, land on the Moon, or eat 50 eggs to illustrate it to her.

And then get them in shell.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See my earlier post on the last page- they're releasing a Neumok called the 1776 tomorrow that is navy and white with a red heel counter and a red Dainite sole, so you'll have a chance at something similar. I like it far better than the longwing, but I also don't like longwings lol.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Web gem MacNeil. Done for the Olympics a few years back. They also did a Strand, McAllister (I own it) and a Hampton.

When I heard "red, white and blue shoes" I thought I'd hate them, but those are very successfully executed! I'm having the same thoughts at the description of the neumok, so I'll stop pre-judging and wait to see them with interest :)

Last edited:

HealthActuary

Reaction score

My guess is you stripped the burnishing off the top to get to the lighter color. if you went the other way then you did a hell of a job. Nice work!

The bottom is the "before" photo. Haha

tietherope

Reaction score
I haven't bought any AE shoes in a few years now, since before Oxblood was an option, but I'm now looking for a shoe for my wedding.

I'll be wearing a navy suit and was looking at the Strand in Oxblood through the CEO sale, or a pair in Merlot from the Shoebank. I own a Mcallister in Merlot, so I know what that colour is like, but have not seen the Oxblood in person and have no way to do so before the sale is over.

I was hoping to get some thoughts between the two colours and if one would work better than the other in this situation. Thanks!

HealthActuary

Reaction score

Can you walk through the process you used for this? Looks great!

Literally...
Remove laces.
Brush for about 10 seconds each.
Clean each shoe with a damp cloth.
Clean sole edge with a damp cloth.
Brush for 10 seconds to remove any cloth cotton.
Use conditioner/cleaner on shoe.
Use a brush to remove conditioner/cleaner from any brogue holes.
1 coat of walnut polish... Wait for about 20 minutes as it dries...
Add a second coat of walnut polish... Wait another 20 minutes or so...
Brush shoe vigourously for like 30 seconds each.
Use a toothpick to remove polish from any brogue holes.
Brush vigourously again for like 30 seconds.
Wipe polish off sole edge if necessary.
Use chili sole edge dye on your sole edge.

So yeah. The trick is to let the walnut polish dry before your brush shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads