• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkebh979

Reaction score
This is very good. Thanks for the feedback. I typically wear (90% of the time) a sportcoat to work instead of a suit, so I always lean towards the slightly less formal, lighter trousers for most of the year/warm months here in the south (light grey, sand, light brown and normal to light blue). Therefore, I find myself wearing brown and walnut/chestnut/light brown shoes the most. Having said that, I think either the oxblood or, especially, the dark navy would balance it out some. Honestly, I always lean walnut but I don't need the exact same shoe right now! haha

I'm with you on the latitude. I'm a Houstonian by choice and while we can go to a sauna to dry out and cool off, my office leans more conservative on the color palette. Not many lighter colors, but certainly lighter fabrics (poplin shirts, linen-cotton trousers, the odd ultra-lightweight jacket... suits in a lighter fabric than good ol wool seem to be judged as too informal on many occasions and we just suffer on short trips outside).

In your case, I'd give the walnut Cornwallis a shot. With the light broguing and toe medallion, it's not as formal as some make it out to be. I'd wear it with a lighter weight fabric and color palette as you've described. I'd imagine Oxblood and Navy would come out between Thanksgiving and Valentines day... which is great if that's where you want to grow your collection. Buy and stash.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

spitshine123

Reaction score
Wore my burgundy cordovan Cambridges today in rainy NYC and I accidentally stepped in a puddle of garbage water....
rotflmao.gif

They STINK now. When I say I stepped in a puddle...it mustve really been half a foot deep on the sidewalk since the whole shoe was COVERED in this nasty sour smelling liquid. How a sidewalk even develops a puddle like that is beyond me....

Anyway as I am sitting here ashamed at my desk (hoping nobody sits next to me)....what is the best way of cleaning this junk out of cordovan? I am scared that the water is soaking in all the pores and will eventually get into the lining....

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Fortunately, shell isn't as absorbent as calf. If you have a back-up pair of shoes at the office, I would take off your Cambridges, wipe them down as well as you can, and stuff them with paper towels.

Wore my burgundy cordovan Cambridges today in rainy NYC and I accidentally stepped in a puddle of garbage water.... :rotflmao:

They STINK now. When I say I stepped in a puddle...it mustve really been half a foot deep on the sidewalk since the whole shoe was COVERED in this nasty sour smelling liquid. How a sidewalk even develops a puddle like that is beyond me....

Anyway as I am sitting here ashamed at my desk (hoping nobody sits next to me)....what is the best way of cleaning this junk out of cordovan? I am scared that the water is soaking in all the pores and will eventually get into the lining....

whodey14

Reaction score

Thanks for rocking down to Electric Avenue, and then taking it higher.  And sticking that hook deep in my head.  
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Glad I wasn't the only one with that stuck in my head.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasted spent too much some time cataloging my current rotation recently. Since 12/20 of my pairs are AE, I figured I'd post it here for you filthy barn weasels fine gentlemen:

Full Photo Album: http://imgur.com/a/rG2UR

Boots
  • AE Eagle River, Oxblood Calf (222 Last, 10.5 EEE) - For Sale
  • Carmina x GF Chelsea, Brown Museum Calf (Rain Last, 10 EEE) - For Sale
  • Vass Monkstrap Chukka, Gold Museum Calf (F last, 44.5 H)
  • Bonafe Chukka, Plum Museum Calf (946 Last, 10 H)
  • AE Dundee Chukka, Natural Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Dundee Chukka, Black Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Shaker Heights, Chili Calf, Brown Tweed (73 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Amok Chukka, Brown Suede (345 Last, 10.5 EEE) - For Sale
Dress Shoes
  • Lobb Saunton Oxford, Dark Brown Misty Calf (7000 Last, 10 EE)
  • Vass Double Monks, Oxblood Calf (U Last, 44.5 H)
  • AE Park Avenue Oxford, Burgundy Cordovan (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Neumora Double Monks, Black Calf (333 Last, 10.5 EEE)
Bluchers
  • Carmina x GYW Longwing, Navy Cordovan (Detroit Last, 10 EEE)
  • AE Regent Street Longwing, Chili Grain/Calf (234 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • Vass Budapester, Red-brown Suede (Peter 2 Last, 43.5 H)
  • AE Bradley Split Toes, Burgundy Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • Carmina x GYW PTB, Cognac Cordovan (Detroit Last, 10 EEE)
  • AE Kenilworth Derby, Dark Cognac (brown) Cordovan (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
Casual Shoes
  • AE McAllister Wingtip Bal, Navy Suede (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE McTavish Wingtip Bal, Grey Distressed Cow (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasted spent too much some time cataloging my current rotation recently. Since 12/20 of my pairs are AE, I figured I'd post it here for you filthy barn weasels fine gentlemen:

Full Photo Album: http://imgur.com/a/rG2UR

Boots
  • AE Eagle River, Oxblood Calf (222 Last, 10.5 EEE) - For Sale
  • Carmina x GF Chelsea, Brown Museum Calf (Rain Last, 10 EEE) - For Sale
  • Vass Monkstrap Chukka, Gold Museum Calf (F last, 44.5 H)
  • Bonafe Chukka, Plum Museum Calf (946 Last, 10 H)
  • AE Dundee Chukka, Natural Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Dundee Chukka, Black Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Shaker Heights, Chili Calf, Brown Tweed (73 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Amok Chukka, Brown Suede (345 Last, 10.5 EEE) - For Sale
Dress Shoes
  • Lobb Saunton Oxford, Dark Brown Misty Calf (7000 Last, 10 EE)
  • Vass Double Monks, Oxblood Calf (U Last, 44.5 H)
  • AE Park Avenue Oxford, Burgundy Cordovan (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE Neumora Double Monks, Black Calf (333 Last, 10.5 EEE)
Bluchers
  • Carmina x GYW Longwing, Navy Cordovan (Detroit Last, 10 EEE)
  • AE Regent Street Longwing, Chili Grain/Calf (234 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • Vass Budapester, Red-brown Suede (Peter 2 Last, 43.5 H)
  • AE Bradley Split Toes, Burgundy Cordovan (511 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • Carmina x GYW PTB, Cognac Cordovan (Detroit Last, 10 EEE)
  • AE Kenilworth Derby, Dark Cognac (brown) Cordovan (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
Casual Shoes
  • AE McAllister Wingtip Bal, Navy Suede (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)
  • AE McTavish Wingtip Bal, Grey Distressed Cow (65 Last, 10.5 EEE)

Quite an awesome collection you have there. So much Cordovan.... envy.... Big fan of those Navy Suede McAllisters too!

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If/when the MTO program comes back, it's my understanding that eyelets are no longer something customizable, is that right?

If so, has anyone ever added their own eyelets to a shoe? I'm not talking about punching a new hole and turning a 2 eyelet shoe into a 3 eyelet shoe. I'm talking about removing the existing AE eyelets that are only exposed on the interior and turning them into an exposed eyelet on the exterior. If so, how hard is this to do? Where did you get your eyelets from?

Every once in a while, I come across a design that I think would look gobs better with an exposed brass eyelet. If it's a total PITA to do it, I'll forget about it. But, if it's only moderately difficult, I may try to take it on at some point.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Finally nice enough to break out the Shreveports. I love these, and they are so comfortable.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If/when the MTO program comes back, it's my understanding that eyelets are no longer something customizable, is that right?

If so, has anyone ever added their own eyelets to a shoe? I'm not talking about punching a new hole and turning a 2 eyelet shoe into a 3 eyelet shoe. I'm talking about removing the existing AE eyelets that are only exposed on the interior and turning them into an exposed eyelet on the exterior. If so, how hard is this to do? Where did you get your eyelets from?

Every once in a while, I come across a design that I think would look gobs better with an exposed brass eyelet. If it's a total PITA to do it, I'll forget about it. But, if it's only moderately difficult, I may try to take it on at some point.

I have had eyelets added to shoes and this is something you can DYI or it can be done at the local cobbler. You remove the hidden eyelet, insert the new one and then expand the back of the new eyelet with an eyelet squeezing tool. Google it and you will see tons of stuff. My local shoe guy charged me $20 so I had him do it. Here is a pair of Bentons I had recrafted with a different sole and had the eyelets added.

styleaudit91

Reaction score

I'm leaning oxblood as well. Thanks.

Not sure. I get offers every payment cycle from AMEX and for this one you get $50 back if you spend $200 or more at Allen Edmonds. That would put these Strands at $225. I don't think you will find a better price for a pair of brand new AEs.

Yea if you have Amex just login and activate the offer before you buy.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had eyelets added to shoes and this is something you can DYI or it can be done at the local cobbler. You remove the hidden eyelet, insert the new one and then expand the back of the new eyelet with an eyelet squeezing tool. Google it and you will see tons of stuff. My local shoe guy charged me $20 so I had him do it. Here is a pair of Bentons I had recrafted with a different sole and had the eyelets added.

Thanks, this is kind of what I was thinking. Any idea on how hard it is to remove the interior eyelet? Just wondering how it's attached in there. Exterior eyelets seem pretty simple to remove (you're really just bending up the teeth on the inside), but I can't see where the interior ones are attached.

Still kind of bummed about the welt rules on MTO and recrafting. Would love at some point to get a split reverse welt done on some shoes, but that doesn't seem to be an option any more. Might have to think about a resole at a local place instead of through AE.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite an awesome collection you have there. So much Cordovan.... envy.... Big fan of those Navy Suede McAllisters too!

Thanks man. Yeah, now that it's finally spring in NYC (with summer coming up), they're going to get into heavy rotation.

styleaudit91

Reaction score
Just joined the Midnightt Navy STRAND-wagon. Stopped by local store that just happens to be on my route to and from lunch. SA confirmed this was the last day, and mentioned a 4 week lead time. Either way, with the Amex offer 225 for a limited release strand is probably as good as it will get. Worst case the color does not meet expectations and I can exchange for oxblood. Contemplated the Cornwallis in the same color but after trying on I didn't like the profile as much as I liked on the shelf.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Reaction score
so is now the time to buy a pair of Strands? they dont go on sale any less than this do they?

This is probably the best price you'll see from them at this point. Two years ago, I got my walnut Strands from Nordstrom for $240 during their July anniversary sale, but I don't think the price will dip that low anymore. After all, they've raised the MSRP twice since then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics