• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it as quickly as you can before they change their mind. That's an absurdly good price for a pair of shell shoes that look either like an ever-so-slightly subpar pair of firsts or an exceptionally good pair of seconds. A treatment with Venetian Shoe Cream and a deer bone and those are going to look phenomenal.

They refunded me the difference already and told me I had 30 days to decide. Great Customer Service!

Middlife

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first double monk strap. What's everyone's thoughts on the St. John vs. the Mora 2.0?

Middlife

Reaction score
I think the St. Johns has more character. I like the broguing.
I was thinking the same thing, I do like them both but I'm slightly leaning toward the St. Johns.

I wasn't sure if the lack of St. Johns pictures in this forum were due to the price point, them being newer, or that people didn't like the look/fit.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keep keep keep! Good God man, that's tremendous! Sub-$300 shell is something to tell your children about.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do it as quickly as you can before they change their mind. That's an absurdly good price for a pair of shell shoes that look either like an ever-so-slightly subpar pair of firsts or an exceptionally good pair of seconds. A treatment with Venetian Shoe Cream and a deer bone and those are going to look phenomenal.

This- $295 is phenomenal

DustinM

Reaction score
My Sunday project...these bourbon McAllister 2nds I picked up about 6 months ago. They had tiger striping and my plan was to remove the finish on the both caps using Renomat, then apply Renovateur, then finally new bourbon polish.

All was going well until I finished the polish and realized the original color had a fair bit of green hue and now the toes didn't match the rest of the shoe. I was a bit short on time because my wife needed help with the baby, but used conditioner cleaner on the rest of each shoe and applied more bourbon polish. I also added some black polish to darken up the toe caps.

Needs more work (mainly because I got sloppy with the black) but this was my best effort under time constraints...still looks quite a bit better to me.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Sunday project...these bourbon McAllister 2nds I picked up about 6 months ago. They had tiger striping and my plan was to remove the finish on the both caps using Renomat, then apply Renovateur, then finally new bourbon polish.

All was going well until I finished the polish and realized the original color had a fair bit of green hue and now the toes didn't match the rest of the shoe. I was a bit short on time because my wife needed help with the baby, but used conditioner cleaner on the rest of each shoe and applied more bourbon polish. I also added some black polish to darken up the toe caps.

Needs more work (mainly because I got sloppy with the black) but this was my best effort under time constraints...still looks quite a bit better to me.

Before:

After:

IMHO I think it's much better! You brought those to life.

Uncle

Reaction score

I think blue shell works fine with denim. Take a look at the amazing LWBs posted on the first post in this thread. Agreed about green.
If I'm not out of town (is the 44th st date announced?), a pair of blue shell LWBs and Natty Daltons may be in order. Already have a pair of brown shell higgins mill on the way.
not announced as of Friday.

FaRKle

Reaction score
Thanks Gabru- I called up the store here and they weren't aware of any upcoming shows. They proceeded to talk to me about custom options and reiterated that the only thing you can't change is the leather. Is this just at a Chicago location or an independent retailer? Im obviously out of this loop

I talked to two bay area stores this week and none of them have heard anything about the trunk show either.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So last year there were very few color choices, so I took a brown MacNeil, black Strand, and brown Cornwallis

Two years ago I took: green MacGregor (don't recommend it), green Patriot, blue Carlyle, natural Strand, and natural Dundee:

Polojock, how do you like the navy shell Carlyle? I'm thinking hard about having a pair made during the trunk show . . . I'm reasonably certain I would wear the hell out of these. Blue has been on my list for a while, but the midnight offerings were a bit too dark. My initial leaning with navy shell was a 5th Avenue, but the more I think about it, the Carlyle seems like the right move - a more expansive vamp to show the roll. Your photos (along with one other member - @Burzan perhaps?) persuaded me. Plus, the 108 is a good match for my foot.

Do you wear yours much? You said you don't recommend the green McG, but any misgivings on the Navy Carlyle? Put another way - if you didn't already have it would that be on your shopping list this time around?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK weasels - assuming the trunk show rumors are true, and that natural shell is an included option, I may have a decision to make. I was leaning toward a Navy Carlyle (see awesomeness in previous post), but natural shell is tempting as well. The issue is that I don't have a ready-made target for it. The strand in @polojock615 's photo above is awesome but would be fairly redundant to my walnut strand (I could sell the latter, I suppose). The Dundee is a *natural* fit (see above or @peppercorn78 's iconic photos), but chukkas are not for me. That leaves the field open . . I could see something like a First Avenue, but I may not get as much mileage out of a boot. What I'm thinking a bit about is a natural shell Mora - it's casual enough to pair with jeans, is clean enough to show off the natty shell, and is on a last that fits me well. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out? Any other thoughts? Thanks all!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK weasels - assuming the trunk show rumors are true, and that natural shell is an included option, I may have a decision to make. I was leaning toward a Navy Carlyle (see awesomeness in previous post), but natural shell is tempting as well. The issue is that I don't have a ready-made target for it. The strand in @polojock615 's photo above is awesome but would be fairly redundant to my walnut strand (I could sell the latter, I suppose). The Dundee is a *natural* fit (see above or @peppercorn78 's iconic photos), but chukkas are not for me. That leaves the field open . . I could see something like a First Avenue, but I may not get as much mileage out of a boot. What I'm thinking a bit about is a natural shell Mora - it's casual enough to pair with jeans, is clean enough to show off the natty shell, and is on a last that fits me well. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out? Any other thoughts? Thanks all!

Navy Carlyle. Get it for me, since I can't get it.
fing02[1].gif

The natural shell color would equally nice, and more versatile. But I still vote for the navy, because the shell navy is nicer than the midnight navy. I see a navy shell Carlyle is one of the most badass shoes of all time.

Middlife

Reaction score
I'm thinking natty Mora or St. Johns myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members