• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alex Kabbaz Shirts: Worth the money?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Manton's right. Only the NYC(and maybe West Palm Beach) Borrelli boutique has a minimum MTM order of 6 shirts. I think that through other Borrelli retailers(e.g. Saks) you should be able to order MTM with no minimum.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, Banks beat me to it.. Sorry. Just wanted to add, that if you're in the boutique check out the Royal fabric collection...fabulous stuff.

koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've ordered from Wilkes Bashford and from Bergdorf. In each case I ordered directly from Fabio Borrelli, and he told me there was no minimum order. I wonder why they insist on a minimum at the boutique?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
You're right, Thracozaag, that the Royal Collection is very nice. I think that shirts made from Royal Collection fabrics approach $500.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've ordered from Wilkes Bashford and from Bergdorf. In each case I ordered directly from Fabio Borrelli, and he told me there was no minimum order. I wonder why they insist on a minimum at the boutique?
It wouldn't surprise me if the boutique weren't owned by the Borrelli family.

In any event, I've ordered quite a few MTM Borrelli shirts, all from a local men's store. Up until 2 or 2.5 years ago, I ordered them one at a time. Since then, I was told that the factory had imposed a two shirt minimum. Whether this was a peculiarity of my retailer's relationship with Borrelli, I can't say.

And yes, Borrelli can cut the shirt slimmer than the Borrelli shirts you usually find in the US. I don't like my shirts to be sprayed on, but the standard US Borrelli cut is too voluminous to me.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
2) Steve, I am heartened by your tales of shirt longevity: previous posts have suggested shirts will last

David:

Don't know if I've reached the 30 commercial washing threshold or not. I have a lot of shirts. And I do take them to the laundry/dry cleaner. But I'm very picky about which establishment I use.

He's what? Since when? I have tried for almost one and one half years to order shirts from T&A in NYC and spoke to Simon on numerous occasions, including face-to-face during my last trip to NYC and I can honestly say I have never received less intimate treatment in my life, I have heard of laissez faire, but this was ridiculous. I like T&A's shirts a lot, but I'm the customer and they the vendor, not the other way around, I should be getting call backs, not placing them  .

Jon:

Wow- sorry your experience has been so poor.

Tom

Reaction score
Jantzen..... I had five jantzen shirts. They all fit "okay". Neck, length, sleeve length, chest and waist all were good. But details...The upper sleeve is too billowy on all of them. I wish they had a tighter arm hole. Anyway, my biggest issue is durabiltiy. The cuff seam blew out after three wearings on one (i hand stitched it back together and continue to wear it). Then , two days ago, the elbow blew out on another after about seven wearings. I am slowly moving back in the direction of better shirts that don't fit as well.

-Tom

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, this topic really took off.

+ Mr. Kabbaz, I certainly didn't intend to offend with my comments-- only that I feel that the shirts you typically craft for your clients (although great in fit, I have no doubt) probably contain far less hand-work than the shirts I pay $139 for on Ebay. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford an order of your product, but feel I am getting a supreme value from Iandaniels (or the occasional MTM Borrelli at $275-$300 in royal oxford cottons)

+jcusey-- are you sure about borrelli collars? I mean, they appear to be hand-stitched and sewn (with photos in the little booklets), and lined with a linen material which can be seen on the undersides. I've noticed that if you're not careful (or your cleaner isn't careful), one of the dangers of stitched collars is wrinkling the fabric when ironing, or not ironing from the points inward to avoid bunches in the cloth. I've seen this on one of my older borrelli shirts.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that if you're not careful (or your cleaner isn't careful), one of the dangers of stitched collars is wrinkling the fabric when ironing, or not ironing from the points inward to avoid bunches in the cloth. ---the Foxx
AH HA..... YOU JUST CAUGHT YER OWN SELF... That's what I was trying to point out to y'all about advertising gimmicks like hand-sewn sleeves, collar, gussets and condoms. It takes time and talent to sew a collar which won't do that. Stitched, Fused, unlined, whatever ... it doesn't matter. What matters is how tightly and evenly the seamster/ess holds the 3 plies of cloth and upon the shrinkage ratio between shell cloth and lining. Talent and good interlining cost highly and you're just not being given that. P.S. Foxx, I never take offense at your comments.
smile.gif
Hell, I never even take offense at Marc's comments.
angry.gif
Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
2) Steve, I am heartened by your tales of shirt longevity: previous posts have suggested shirts will last only 30 commercial washings, which with daily shirt wear and 26 shirts equals 2 years. Can you explain? ---forgot who said this, but...
I'll claim a minimum of 100 proper launderings for my shirts and replace or repair if I'm wrong. I'll be happy to show anyone who cares to look a 1984 shirt I've washed 250 times and still wear. That's one of the things most fail to take into account when figuring shirt price. Which is cheaper to wear, a $200 shirt which lasts 30 launderings or a $600 shirt which lasts 100 launderings? $200 shirt=$ 6.66 per wearing. $600 shirt= $6.00 per wearing
cool.gif
Yeah, that's me, doin' the Robot.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HEY STEVE....... I feel really WIERD participating in a thread called ALEX KABBAZ: WORTH THE MONEY?
blush.gif
NakedManPromo013inx72dpi02.jpg
Do you think you could possibly change the topic title to ALEX KABBAZ SHIRTS: Worth the money? P.S. Naturally, that would be a black Zimmerli Timeless G-string ... available at http://www.CustomShirt1.com of course you can move the plug while you're at it - two birds with one stone.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hey. Â Don't demean the "new" 42nd Street.
tounge.gif

Tom

Reaction score
FIHTies,

Yes, one or the other... I have a funny shape. Big neck (17"), but otherwise a 42 regular (suit). So either I wear shirts that are way too big, or buy Jantzen. Jantzen has been sort of a let down, including poor fit in places.
I just tried a TM Lewin (OTR), getting closer. Thomas Pink are like tents, Zegna is too baggy and the neck is too tight on the 43.
It's just not easy, and I certainly cannot afford bespoke at this stage in my career.

-Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads