• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alex Kabbaz Shirts: Worth the money?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Can someone give me one reason why I should try KA shirt?
Meticulously perfect fit; a collection of cloth that no one else can match; attention to detail that is second to none.

But they are not "rather" more expensive. They are dramatically more expesive. I believe a Kabbaz shirt starts at $600, with a minimum first order of 6. Also, you have to go to New York to be measured and fitted. Alex will do (insist on, really) more fittings than any other shirtmaker bar none. I have head stories about him making multiple sample shirts before he cuts your order. The whole process can take a long time.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(MilanoStyle @ 29 Oct. 2004, 08:50) Can someone give me one reason why I should try KA shirt?
Meticulously perfect fit; a collection of cloth that no one else can match; attention to detail that is second to none. But they are not "rather" more expensive. They are dramatically more expesive. I believe a Kabbaz shirt starts at $600, with a minimum first order of 6. Also, you have to go to New York to be measured and fitted. Alex will do (insist on, really) more fittings than any other shirtmaker bar none. I have head stories about him making multiple sample shirts before he cuts your order. The whole process can take a long time.
The anticipation is kind of half the experience. Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for A. Kabbaz (and I think you can be honest because most of your clientele probably don't read this forum): Do you consider most of your clients well-dressed, or do they mostly seek out high-end goods for prestige and just 'cuz they can? I mean, when consiously dressed (either in one of your shirts or not), are they generally the type of people that turn heads?
Ken - The $600 they spend for a shirt may not be any financial burden at all to my clients. However, if I had to name one overriding characteristic common to ALL of my clients it would be, "they ain't stupid." In their positions, whatever that may be, they are expected to dress properly. Bespoke clothing is not really an option, it is the norm. As to your question, I cannot think of even one client who wears my shirts for the mere prestige of wearing the most expensive. I can think of a few clients whom I have thrown out over the years because they didn't properly respect the shirts or the shirtmaker. Do they turn heads because of what they wear? I doubt it: Proper bespoke clothing is not meant to turn heads. Proper bespoke clothing is just ... there. Do they turn heads because of who they are? I suspect some of them do.
Alex may smack me for this but I also know of several shirtmakers who Alex has spent significant time/effort giving advice and assistance to without charging for his time.
I never smack Texans. They're usually larger than me. By the way, how much do I owe you for that post?
smile.gif
Seriously, though, thank you. And for those considering Chuck's shirts, I can tell you one thing: Over the years I've had hundreds of ready-made shirt guys consult with me regarding how to cut the costs of their products. I have had only one who ever asked me to take his whole shirt apart, figure out what could be better, and damn the cost.
If Alex doubled his price they'd still buy all their shirts from him.
Your wish is my command.
Also, you have to go to New York to be measured and fitted. Alex will do (insist on, really) more fittings than any other shirtmaker bar none. I have head stories about him making multiple sample shirts before he cuts your order.
That's just not correct. You can send over the corporate jet and I'll go anywhere you want for a fitting. Seriously, though, thanks ... and I always make multiple sample shirts. If I make one and use it to do a fitting, don't I have to make another to check the effect of the corrections determined at the fitting? If this second sample is reasonably close, I'll often let the client keep it with my compliments, but it is never part of their order. On a general note, I would like to thank all of you for your interest in this thread. I consider it an honor to be a subject of your discussion.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I still want to know if YOU PERSONALLY are "worth the money". I saw that you had the thread title changed, but the very fact that you changed it makes me believe you are uncomfortable discussing your personal value.

Since I am starting a collection of bespoke shirt-makers, I would like to know your relative value to the market. In US Dollars please.

Also please submit your measurements to me so that I may have an appropriately sized acrylic cube made for you. Would you like a large exercise wheel and large water botte? Straw bed or astroturf. Do you need a little log to hide under or a castle or something?

brescd01

Reaction score
I think Kabbaz's shirts go along with bespoke EG's or Lobbs as one of those rare luxury items that appear to be worth their cost. Which doesn't mean I will ever buy them (I won't), simply because I am too cheap to shell out 600 dollars/shirt (I am at 120 dollars/shirt now). However, we are lucky they exist because unlike T&A and other famous makers, Kabbaz' process is pretty transparent. We can judge all shirts against his as the standard.

An interesting finding in my neo-Cartesian sartorial adventure: I spent 120 dollars/shirt on average for 26 shirts. I am now getting 6 altered, all Barbas, for various problems, and that is costing me 23 dollars/shirt. My Giam Paulos (Barba-like shirts only available from my local d'Avenza boutique) are my favorite shirts, all things considered. But NONE of you would appreciate their fit on me. I am sure you would find lots of little problems, none of which really bother me (I am not that demanding about shirt fit). The boutique owner who sold them to me will raise his prices because he no longer needs cash, and says he won't let me have them for less than 200/shirt. Liste Rouge, whose first shirt fit me perfectly, sells shirts generally for 200 dollars/shirt and takes three weeks.

My point is, when all is said and done, I can easily see how a properly fitting shirt is worth 200 dollars/shirt, at least to me. Had I everything to do over and had I known this, I might have gotten all my shirts from Liste Rouge or a comparable shirtmaker. My main problems with Liste Rouge is 1) no gumdrop MOP buttons, which I have come to adore and 2) I really prefer heavy shirt fabrics now and their selection is poor. Maybe I would have gone to Paris or Cego, if they had those wonderful buttons.....this all excludes Carlo Franco MTM, which is not on-line yet.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Here's my two cents:

I never met Mr. Kabbaz. I am not a customer. I have no vested interest in this subject.

Based on reading his website and various posts here and at Ask Andy, he is a most serious craftsman of the old school. His shirts are probably in the Rolls Royce class.

I think that comparing his product to other shirt brands and makers is like comparing a Toyota to a Rolls. True, a Toyota Camry will get you to the same destinations as the Rolls. Also, the Toyota is much, much cheaper. But a Rolls, is a Rolls, is a Rolls, etc.

Although I shall probably never become a customer, it is comforting to know that there is a shirtmaker out there who is a supreme craftsman (perhaps artist?).

BTW, for his CEO clients who might spend $6,000 or more on a bespoke suit, an accopanying shirt costing $600 (or 10% of the suit cost) is not unreasonable. I would say that a $600 shirt with a $200 Syms suit is out of whack.

tteplitzmd

Reaction score
These exchanges read like an infomercial. I have no vested interest, so to speak, in the merchant or product. My sense is that for a high price you get a very fine product. I liken it to the difference between a $250/hr lawyer and the $600/hr lawyer: you get a better spell checker for the $600/hr fee.
It is a sign of the times that you have to pay a premium for a job to be done properly.

Richieg

Reaction score
How much are Kiton shirts? A mass produced, RTW shirt for $600 plus? I realize they are not produced in numbers like Paul Fredrick, but still made by the thousands. Having said this, why do people crenge over Alex Kabazz? He's making a bespoke garment from the finest cottons in the world to your satisifcation. I rarely hear people bash Kiton for their over the top prices, but Kabazz is nuts for charging what he does? Give the ole boy a rest, plus he's got a cool mustache!

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richieg
How much are Kiton shirts? A mass produced, RTW shirt for $600 plus? I realize they are not produced in numbers like Paul Fredrick, but still made by the thousands. Having said this, why do people crenge over Alex Kabazz? He's making a bespoke garment from the finest cottons in the world to your satisifcation. I rarely hear people bash Kiton for their over the top prices, but Kabazz is nuts for charging what he does? Give the ole boy a rest, plus he's got a cool mustache!

what is your agenda here?

Richieg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
You dug up a thread that has been dormant for two years for that?

Hmmm.....

It doesn't matter if it's two years old or 2 days old. This Kabazz thing is talked about all the time. If you don't like what I write, then don't read it. "Hummm"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads